1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Midlife crisis or end of denial? (sorry, really long :-))

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by GrumpyOldLady, Aug 29, 2014.

1. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I've figured out that I'm definitely genderqueer. I'm not even confused by this, tbh, it's just that I never really put a label on it until now. I don't like dressing or acting feminine, and in fact feel uncomfortable doing so, especially "emphasizing" my "assets". The thought of fulfilling a traditional female role in a relationship is abhorrent to me, as is the whole "game" theory of dating.

I don't dislike men at all. In fact, I've always felt more comfortable around men than I do around women. I have less trouble initiating activites with my male friends, can talk to them more freely, and my friendships with men have always lasted longer. I have no problem touching or hugging my male friends, but feel uncomfortable doing so with female friends. I enjoy hanging out with guys so much that I've actually dated some of them just to be able to hang out with their friends more often without the whole male/female dynamic.

I've had several romantic crushes on men, sometimes quite intense and devasting physically as well as emotionally. I have never had sex with a crush -- it wasn't even something that I usually thought about. The thing is ... I have rarely really enjoyed sex. I can count on one hand the number of times I've felt a spark with someone, although it has happened -- with not overly masculine men who don't mind being passive. I have no problems with manly parts, I neither dislike them nor love them.

I was molested as a child, and I always assumed that my problems with sex stemmed from that, even though I have no problems with men otherwise ... but lately, I've been starting to wonder.

I used to think about touching other girls pre-puberty, enjoyed looking at Playboy, and have always had the odd fantasy involving women's bodies when I allow myself to think about it. Many of my female friendships died off when they found boyfriends. It would often make me feel out of sorts to see them with a man, especially my closest friends, and I've always assumed I was just jealous because I was still single ... but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I wanted to be with them instead, and felt bad because I wasn't a man?

I have never had an emotional crush on or fallen in love with another woman since childhood, but I wonder if I've just been avoiding women and situations that could trigger one. I've always felt uncomfortable around lesbians, no matter how nice they were, and although I've been trying to allow myself to imagine being with a woman romantically I find it very difficult and uncomfortable to do so.

Thanks to those of you who managed to get through this novel ... I'm mostly just venting although input/thoughts would be appreciated :slight_smile: I'm at midlife crisis age, so I'm not too sure if I'm just reading more into things tha nnecessary, or if I've really been so far in denial that I've suppressed anything that might confirm that I'm a lesbian.

2. shy75

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am a 38 year old married woman and have felt like I could be having a midlife crisis so I really can't offer you any advice since I am really trying to figure my own issues. I can identify though with some of things you said especially the part about being uncomfortable around lesbians. Here's my story about that. There was a cashier that worked at the grocery store where I shopped. She was definitely what I would consider a butch lesbian. Whenever I would go through her lane I would get really nervous. I actually felt bad about it because I thought I must have some prejudice against lesbians and I have no problem with gay men. Several times I went to the store and I looked for her and she wasn't there. I was standing in the shampoo aisle thinking "I wonder where Nikki is. I Hope she didn't quit". Then I thought why am I looking for her? And why do I know her name and no one else that works here?! And then it just hit me. I was really attracted to her!
    I also never really enjoyed sex until I met my husband. In the long term relationship I had before I met him, I used to cry after sex. It's definitely better with my husband, mostly because I had an emotional connection with him that I had never had with any one else.
    We all know the power of denial and repression I live in a really conservative small town with very homophobic parents and had never met anyone gay until I was an adult. Had I lived in a more liberal area or knew a lesbian, I feel things probably would have been very different.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I didn't want you to feel alone!

3. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks shy, I figured my post was too long (I hate to admit that it's the shortened version :wink:) so thanks for wading through!

The area I grew up in was not particularly homophobic, nor were my parents. However, my peers found it abnormal, and I was shy and awkward and wanted nothing more than to feel like I was like everyone else. There were suggestions that victims of abuse ofen became lesbians (as if it were a mental health issue), so I didn't want to conform to that expectation.

I was with some friends today, and I realised again that I don't just feel uncomfortable and reserved around lesbians, but around women in general, even ones I consider friends. I don't know if it's because I identify more with men, or if it's because I'm attracted to women and therefore subconsciously stop myself from getting close to one. By the same token, I wonder if my crushes on men were because I was attracted to them, or because I wanted to be like them. Then there's this part of me that wonders if I'm seeing things that are not there because of some kind of midlife crisis. It's all so confusing.

There actually is a trigger, but it's unusual enough that I feel uncomfortable writing about it in a public forum in case someone recognises themselves. It's not a crush, though.

4. shy75

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    First of all I would like to say how sorry I am you were molested as a child. That is a horror no one should ever go through. I am sure it affects your life in many ways and in some ways you may not even realize.
    I hate the term mid life crisis. Some people call it a midlife transition and I feel that better describes it. Maybe you have been in denial and are starting to make a transition to a more authentic self. It is all very confusing because for some people things are very complicated. Just be kind and patient with yourself and I am sure the answers will come to you.

5. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am in same boat too. I'm married 24yrs. and have two kids. I feel exactly like you dragoness. I'm in a confusing place for sure. I have never even heard of genderqueer. So I'm heading off to look it up. hope you don't feel like your alone.

6. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Neither did I, before I started coming here and it was like a revelation. I know labels are just labels, but I wonder if they might have made it easier for me as a teen if I had known that my difference had a name, and that there were others like me.

Back then nobody even talked about transgender issues so I never really knew why it was that I felt so different and was so ashamed of my body, even the times when I wasn't overweight. I hated summers because of the light clothing, and in fact used to wear a (boys) jacket every day to school, even when it was hot outside, to hide behind. Adults were constantly trying to get me to take it off. Nobody ever said anything about body dysphoria or being trans or anything like that. I never really wanted to be one of the boys, and I'm not into things that are too masculine so I don't consider myself a true transman, either. So, I'll go with genderqueer, because I'm sort of inbetween.

My husband is rather feminine and actually likes being treated like a woman in the bedroom so things aren't too bad, there. I do wonder if I might have had more fulfulling relationships if I had known when I was younger, but I don't really want to start over right now. I still love my husband even if it's more of a storgic love, and I'm not really unhappy in my marriage other than the usual annoyances that crop up after many years of living together.

7. CyclingFan

At my most recent appointment with my therapist I talked with her about "is this *just* a midlife crisis or have I been unconsciously suppressing things?", so I think I can see where you're coming from.

She told me that it's likely that being the age I am does have something to do with my need to explore these things, as it's a natural place for a lot of people to "take stock" of where they've been and where they want to go the rest of their lives. I'd had questions before that is never answered so it's natural that these might come up at this age.

My concern is that it was "just a phase" which I think still gets back to bargaining cause it's flipping a lot around in my life. But I think the answer is that it really is a little of both, but the midlife crisis aspect has more to do with the timing than it being a source.

8. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I certainly asked myself at first if my increasing desire to come out was a symptom of a midlife crisis. And I'd have to say that while the desire to come out certainly was fueled by some midlife issues (unhappy marriage, death of last living parent, personal health crisis), the fact that I was gay definitely wasn't some midlife urge to experiment with men. It was always there, and being about 50 simply added to the urgency of it all and made me realize that I could potentially not have a whole lot of time left to change the path I was on. After all, my mother dropped dead of a heart attack at 46, and at 51, my father had the first of many surgeries that culminated with him losing his legs. So being gay itself wasn't the midlife crisis, but coming out was.

Feeling the need to buy a Corvette or dress like a 20-year-old might well be a phase. Changing (or rather exploring and affirming) your orientation probably isn't.

9. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all the replies ... I actually had an epiphany today.

I was going through some memories of one my female friends today ... she used to give me odd signals sometimes, and every time she did I'd freeze up. We used to do sleepovers, and sleep in the same bed. Once she told me she slept commando down below to air out (I never looked at her when we changed for bed, probably because I was afraid of seeing something I liked), and after that I would lie next to her completely rigid, afraid to move. Now I realise that I felt an attraction to her, but was afraid I'd act on it if I didn't keep a tight lid on myself. It frightened me so much that I built a wall around it.

So I guess it's not a crisis, and it's not a phase. I'm definitely attracted to some women .. and some guys, too.

10. bi2me

I think we all need to cut ourselves some slack. Just because we weren't fortunate enough to figure out or gender/sexuality when we were younger shouldn't mean that we can't take a breath and try to sort out the feelings now. My husband and I are really happy together, but it still isn't stopping me from fantasizing and wishing I could be with a woman. However, I know that he (and I) feel that this would be cheating, and it wouldn't be ok. Maybe some day we will come around on that a bit, but in the mean time, I'm trying not to be too hard on myself for "following the rules" a bit too strictly and not figuring out what my "curiosity" might lead to back when I was 17.