1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the cusp of coming out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LittleLionGirl, Aug 29, 2014.

1. LittleLionGirl

Hi all. Let me explain my story. Meh, like everyone else at this age, there's too much, so I'll just sum up.

My husband of twenty-some years and I separated a year ago. We initiated the divorce conversation via a series of emails, because it was the least volatile way for us to communicate. After we'd reached the agreement and acceptance stage of our split, he asked me if I might be gay. Said it was something he'd wondered for a long time. I neatly evaded a definitive answer. I just wasn't ready.

Now? I'm ready, but I'm unsure as to how to broach the subject. We're living completely independent lives now, rarely see each other and then generally in public settings - kid's games, restaurants, social events, etc.

I saw this video today and started thinking this might be the way.

HuffPost Live

I'm considering sending him the link via email with the message, "Would you react as well if your suspicions were confirmed?"

Thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated.

2. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to EC LittleLionGirl, and congratulations these first steps out of the closet tough but oh so worth it. I like the video but my own experience would suggest that you might want to tell him in person. Not for him but for you. Every time you come out it is growing point for yours as gay person. My ex girlfriend outed me to several people, they were totally acceptable outings like to her family and such. But what I found by not doing it myself was that I missed out on a chance for growth and self acceptance. I now feel in someways that I am further out of the closet than I belong having missed those opportunities.

I would suggest simply emailing him with a request to briefly talk to him alone. It will probably be a good chance for some closure between the 2 of you. Any way you do it good luck and again congratulations.