1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else ever re-come out of the closet?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by discalcedtierce, Sep 6, 2014.

1. discalcedtierce

So, I was out in high school, and life was well, because I was being true to myself. However, after a traumatic incident, I completely shut off my sexuality, swore I would be single the rest of my life and in effect, went back into the closet. Now several years later, I've finally come to the point where I know I need to accept and integrate my sexuality lest I become less than a full human being, and it's so much harder coming out of the closet this time around. I was going to come out to some people who I met since I went back in last night, but the words just did not come. Perhaps the fact that I met them at church led to the fear, but they have been kind and understanding about some of my other issues (including the fact I currently identify as atheist/agnostic right now) and I think that they would be the same about this.

In any case, there are others I've met at school, including others who are open about their sexuality, that I want to come out to, but every time I get close to doing so, I start having a mild panic attack and don't do it.

Is there anyone who has been through something similar that can understand or perhaps offer advice?

Thank you!

2. FortunateSally

I was partially out in high school and college as bisexual but went back in the closet later and just now I'm slowly creeping out even gayer. Haha it's a crazy world out there and it seems a little safer since doma overturned etc.

3. what2do

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes I've cqme out twice (once high school and other when was out, but went back in bc of family and society.... I'm out now for the third time finally and am staying out. I also found that denying yourself hurts everybody it is best to be your full self so you can live the happiest life ever :slight_smile: life is rough and crazy but sweet and swesome at the same time.

4. discalcedtierce

Yes, it has been better since DOMA was overturned, but still, I live in one of the states that did not strike down their same sex marriage ban, so it's not where it should be.

I do not plan on going back in. Part of why I went back in the first place was becoming Catholic which coincided with aforementioned traumatic experience, although I was contemplating converting several years before. Although I do love parts of the Catholic Church, its views on gay people and same-sex marriage has been so intolerable, especially the past few months when I realised that I could no longer remain closeted and be a healthy, sane human being.

5. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going through the same thing now, except without the religious aspect.

I suspect you'll just have to be upfront with your your friends about why you didn't tell them sooner. I wish I had better advice, but I at least wanted you to know that someone else here is in the same boat.

6. FortunateSally

I don't think doma fixed everything for everyone I was just saying for me it was sort of an alarm like... Why am I still doing this to myself? I understand, though, that I have other priveleges in my background that make that true for me and wouldn't necessarily make it true for others.

7. discalcedtierce

I guess what I was saying was that same-sex marriage not being overturned in my state, especially after the overturn of DOMA, highlighted to me that I needed to be true to myself for myself and also for others. How can things change if I'm still lurking in the shadows? If LGBT people are only seen as a faceless mass rather than human beings who just happen to love others in a non-heternormative way, then TPTB are less likely to change things.

8. lezgetweird

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out as bisexual when I was in middle school but it was basically written off due to my age and I suppressed a lot of my same-sex attraction. I recently realized (about ten years later lol) that I'm just not that into men romantically or sexually. So now I'm grappling with coming out again and it's nerve-wracking.

9. bottomsup

I nearly came out as a late teen, but didnt, then did publically six months ago, the explosion took me back somewhat and I retreated publically also, and I will come.out again, but will plan and work towards it first, im ready I think, but have lots of little comittments to worry about, and my soulmate wife whom I cannot leave! Well, yet. I'm still growing inside, although somewhat constrained, tee totaler now (10 wks) and have hopes and aspirations again in the main.
    am smartening myself up a bit, and trying to develop the ability to talk to those I want to.
    Only time.will tell how this pans out, we may never splitup, she is so amicable and sensible, and I love her dearly. I have almost come to terms with that idea !
    Anyhow, I need to already wings and flutter about a bit, not easy to attempt to do and be married successfully.. Dare not be to complacent, I know what I want, just trying to come to work out a way it will work for everyone.. Hmm. Yes I know, dont drag it out, we did think that, but after a week, both decided perhaps better for us if we did drag it out, so long as can enjoy the present, humm. To an extent that's fine, busy lives make it possible, that and wild fantasies, work I am almost out, dont really hide myself any more, but not to obvious like the makeup I went there for a few days in.. ) did get noticed though! Which was the intention. Go with it baby, go with it! So, back to the point, im struggling, but am getting there, I dearly wouldmlove to just be out fully, but cant, perhaps work away during weeks? Have done that in the past, cant not see the kids at their ages thou..
    Might do the lotto this week if feeling lucky, if got that then watch out youall! The fun I woukdnhavee burning cash on outfits and the like! Yeah baby!