1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attraction changes as we get older?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by wardrobeescaper, Sep 9, 2014.

1. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi all, was 30 last year and over the last couple of years I have met a 3 or 4 young gay guys though friends of friends or out and about (not dates obviously) from the ages of 16 - 20. They were over weight and feeling a little lonely as a single gay guy does at that age but otherwise confident as they had come out at a young age (some aged 13 at the time), no hangups and were finding their way in life. But they were kind, caring and interesting people. They were probably struggling a bit as they weren't the best looking due to their sizes but I honestly think their faces made up for it. But you know how shallow we could be in our teens. I am thinking, shame you guys are so young, i'd like to be with someone like you its just your age and stage at life that wouldn't make it work for me. But I was also thinking, I had the chance to go out with someone like you when I was that age but I didn't find you attractive then so I avoided it. I was having one of those, I wish I knew then what I know now and I would probably have given guys like that a chance. Sorry to anyone I've been shallow with in the past I was young and naive.

Does anyone else feel this way, do you think we change as we get older? I know there are still some guys who pursue beauty and youth. Personally I would rather be with someone within 2-3 years either side of my age because of life stages.

2. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for giving me the chance for some cathartic expression of regret...

Once when I was say 18, I was at this party, we were all dancing in a haopy, mildly intoxicated state in a kind of circle. There was this guy, looked kind of 'Mediterranean' in appearance, anyway he suddenly yet discreetly took hold of my hand and gave me this look I never forgot. I 'knew' what it meant, I can't explain, but what I recall is that when I huffily withdrew my hand, and averted my eyes, it was out of pride, not aversion. I thought, "hmph, how dare you make the assumption that I, a straight guy, would feel that way". But many years later, I still remembered the way he looked at me, I don't know if folks know what I mean but there's something about 'Mediterranean guys' and dark, passionate eyes that is quite unique. I regret my pride; the silliness of acting purely out of pride. I ought to have admitted to myself, that I was damn well attracted to him. I know looks are not everything, but god he was lovely. And that look in his eyes of passion...I mean seriously, 'I could be so lucky', you know? - and damn my foolish reaction at the time.

3. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To look at someone and think "oh god hes fit, I want to have fun with him" that's lust. To be around someone for a while and get to know them properly and realize "hey you're a really nice guy, I'd like to take things further" that's love.

I guess at the time Damien you were more worried about what everyone else would think. Stuff happens, we learn from it and move on. You never know he could have turned out to be an ass ha ha!.

I was also asked out by an 18 year old a couple of years ago. He said some nice things, probably the nicest I've ever heard form a guy actually, but I was 10 years older than him and I thought people would just see me as predatory. Plus some of my family have already told me that if I had an 18 year old boyfriend I would be disowned...