1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My update...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by likethewind, Sep 9, 2014.

1. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Haven't been to the EC site regularly these days, so I thought I'd post an update.

A few months ago I cut off contact with a married guy I'd been seeing for about 6 months. After our break-up, I tried (not for the first time) to meet other men through different social/support groups -- that's also when I joined the EC site. I never felt comfortable in any of those groups or felt a connection with any of the people I met. About 2 weeks ago, I contacted my friend again to check up on him (not going to post his story, but his life was in a state of upheaval) -- I was genuinely concerned about him. Since then, we've been in regular contact again and met once in a public place to talk. We spoke for a couple hours -- and it felt great to connect with him again.

I knew months ago that I was in love with him -- I know he feels the same -- and I realize that at least part of my disappointment with all the other avenues I tried has to do with comparisons to him. We just click -- and every other situation seemed forced. I'm not worried that we'll start a physical relationship again while he's still married -- that part ate at my conscience. So for the time being, we're rebuilding a friendship. And it feels really good.

Of course, I can't say what the future holds -- but I'm glad to feel a connection with someone again. So I thought I'd share that...

2. what2do

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like you found something special :slight_smile: If he feels the same am sure he's trying to find a way to break the news to his wife but might take a lil while for him to build up the courage. I finally did a few days ago is a struggle but worth it in the end to be yourself. I wish you the best of luck one step at a time :slight_smile:

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have a connection, it's worth being patient and letting things happen. My guy and I are moving through our situations at somewhat different paces, but it's all good because we know where we stand with each other, and we know how we feel. If you two feel the same way about each other and there's movement of some kind happening in his life, even slow, there's no point in tossing it away if you can live with the pace. Connections are golden and worth waiting for.

4. tulipinacup

Hey, Welcome back and how are you feeling? I think that it's great that you have felt connection with someone and I really do think that's important in surviving life but consider that there are also limitations. I think cutting off the relationship was a wise decision because while that kind of connection you both guys have is important, he is still married. I think no matter what the status of their marriage is, they still had their vows together. I do not know this guy's life and it's no doubt that you know him more than the rest of us here but I think what needs to be dealt with first is his relationship with his wife.

Keep updating us if you can.

5. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Thanks to all for your comments.

My friend's process of "breaking the news" started a few months ago. His situation may take some time to resolve, but I already decided to wait it out. I would never tell anyone how to dissolve a marriage, especially a long marriage with children (the children are young adults). I really feel for his wife and family – it's got to be devastating news, even if they had suspicions that something was wrong. But I also know finding a true connection is rare, and I'm grateful to have found it once.

In all honesty, I think maintaining a friendship will only enhance our relationship in the long run. So I'll sit by the sidelines for a while…

6. what2do

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome likethewind. Not the going through the whole dissolving a marriage thing, but that you two care for eachother a lot and that he's doing what his heart tells him.