1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerk etiquette?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Sep 11, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Was is the best route regarding (most probably) a dating jerk?

We went on date, planned second date, he claimed sick and cancelled second date, saying he would call me back when better... Months have gone by. I wrote him off as "jerk" a long time ago.

He contacted me two days ago via email. Says he lost my number and finally found me.

Gee, my cell phone has a call log I cannot lose a number without losing the phone. I was on the dating site too and he never retried through that. Not even a good liar. He is a used car salesman if that says anything.

I did not respond to his recent email. Fair of me?

I am sick of gay jerks.

Tom

2. TakeMe2Church

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me, I think it would be fair no matter what you choose to do. I don't think you really owe this guy anything, for sure. But if you were interested you could at least make contact and give him the opportunity to explain his terrible behaviour! If you are not interested, then maybe just quietly move along.

I am however pleased that you chose this forum to clearly vent your anger and disappointment. I certainly understand your feelings and think that they are very valid!

Deep breath...and let it go?

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Just so pathetic... I am not angry, more disappointed he thought in contacting me I would be giddy to respond to weak lies.

Tom

4. CyclingFan

Totally fair. Ignore that crap.

5. RainbowMan

I'm not the best guy to give advice here, since I don't have this experience. However, my instinct would be to ignore this jerk. While it's possible that he "lost" your number, not responding through the dating site to get it again, and making no other meaningful effort to contact you before reappearing several months later would indicate to me that he's just looking for a fuck buddy rather than a real relationship.

Of course, this could just be me being cynical. In the end, it's entirely up to you what to do with this - if you're still interested, and think that he's good for you, then by all means reach out to him. However, don't feel under any obligation to simply because he reached out to you several months after the fact.

6. tscott

Drop him...no further contact. "I'm in an open relationship"...walk away. Meet for coffee at the other's suggestion...give dates you're open...no response...forget it. On- line just seem to suck. A friend has had three horrific experiences, all liars in one fashion or another. I would also say anyone whose photo is nude or they're sending you crotch shots before you know their real name isn't worth pursuing. The gay community seems to be a tad too focused on one's own self-pleasure rather than establishing relationships, but many of you know this already.

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question you should ask yourself is: "Would I buy a used car from this man?"

If the answer is NO, then why would you want to have a more serious relationship than that with him? Even on the last day of the sales month, when you might get a better offer from him.

8. Henry656

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Did he say that he was last owned by a little old lady from Pasadena who never took hm out of the garage?
    His job defines him.
    Do you want to be defined the same way by being with him?

9. CyclingFan

I don't think that this is a gay community thing as much as it's a guy thing. I am sure most straight women have tons of such stories.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sentiments exactly--sometimes people are disappointing and there's generally not much to be gained by not letting it go and moving on...

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I like the idea "Would you buy a used car from this guy?" In this case; no. Maybe a good second date, self screening question for all guys.

He did tell a huge tale of woe on our first date. Abandonment, raised by uncle and aunt, physically beaten and emotionally abused by aunt, raped by uncle, escaped by early college and aid of a high school teacher.

I don't know how much of that is true now. Initially I believed him.

Tom