1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone relate?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Perplexed1979, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Perplexed1979

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi,

My experience at the moment is that I have a very strong sense that I am gay but i'm still denying it on a very deep level.
    I have always felt attraction to men. However I am unable to have mastubatory fantasies about sex with a man. I do think I may have some deep psychological block around this (internal homophobia?).

Did anyone have a similar experience when they were coming to terms with their sexuality?

P

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

OK, so then, what makes you think you are gay?

In trying to answer that question, try to be as specific as possible: i.e. you might consider starting a journal and noting down every time you feel an attraction to a guy, noting down also, in as much detail as possible what it is you are noticing and how you feel about the things you are noticing.

You may also try the following thought-experiment:

Tomorrow morning, wake up gay. Weird, I know, but just wake up "knowing" that you are gay. Go about your daily routine, bring your journal, and note how you feel as you "pretend" being gay throughout the day.

Do this for about 4 days, then the following day, wake up "straight" and repeat the 4-day experiment. Also...try to discover how you feel about no longer being "gay"...

Worth a shot! :slight_smile:

3. sdsfguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great advice, Greatwhale! When I was questioning my sexuality I have done this before and I tried to be straight and couldn't do it. I'm so much more comfortable with being gay. It's who I am. Give it a try, Perplexed, and we're here for you!