1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here coming out about gender later in life?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by wanderinggirl, Sep 13, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

I'm wondering if all the later in life people are only coming out about sexuality or if there's anyone here questioning gender too.

Gender seems so much more complicated than sexuality for me, but I feel kinda silly for questioning it right now, and I hate feeling like I'm constantly 15 years too late... does anyone else identify with this?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm around your age and I question my gender all the time. I mainly stick with cis woman for practical reasons, but feel I might be more in the genderqueer category.

3. CyclingFan

Yeah, sometimes. At least a little. It's a lot to deal with. Mostly it feels like some fluidity. Honestly, this wouldn't be the first time I'd had that thought either, cause I recall pondering that some in early adolescence at least.

I'm trying to be open and honest to whatever, cause what's the point of going through all of this so far and then just repressing again, but it's a lot to deal with.

4. TheStormInside

I am not questioning my gender, myself, but my friend's brother is a trans woman and she told me he came out to her and the family at age 35. (To note, I use masculine pronouns because I haven't met him and don't know his preference, but that is how my friend refers to him). A few acquaintances I had in college have since come out as trans, as well. One was probably around 23 when he came out, it was shortly after we graduated. The other was more recently, maybe in the past 2 or 3 years, so she would have been around 28ish.

I think, as we've discussed regarding sexuality, people come to the understanding of these things in their own time. Maybe you needed to cast off the preconceptions of the heterosexual world by acknowledging your sexuality before you felt comfortable enough to start exploring gender? I don't think it's something to feel silly about. Confronting gender identity seems in many was a lot deeper and more difficult than even sexuality, and we all know how hard that is in itself.

5. wanderinggirl

Cool :slight_smile: I feel similarly, that it's easier to go about life socially within the binary even if you don't think of yourself as fitting into that category. So although I'm feeling more genderqueer I might still go by female pronouns, for (as you said) "practical reasons".

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2014 at 02:03 PM ----------

Openness at this stage is a good way to go; self acceptance is a whole long process and going back to a repressive mindset doesn't do any good.

My thoughts during adolescence were often about how I really wished I were a guy and that I feel like I'd fit in better if i were perceived as such. But I figured that could also mean that I just wish I were a guy; not that I am a guy who would benefit from social and/or physical transition.

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

Thanks for sharing. I feel like I shouldn't need external validation but given how i said I felt "silly", hearing other stories like that does make me feel validated.

I don't know if I told you about how when I started practicing mindfulness meditation I came out to myself? Well as I keep practicing mindfulness I find out more about myself, and you're right that I probably needed to cast off heterosexual preconceptions before I could start questioning cisgender preconceptions.

#5 wanderinggirl, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  6. You're only two years older than I am and I really feel ya. I don't think any of us are terribly late to the party here.

In fact, part of me feels like I wouldn't have been able to articulate my issues with my gender before I had some of the concepts I learned in my late teens/early twenties. I didn't have words for the feelings I had and didn't realize that those feelings weren't just what everyone felt like.

With sexuality it was different for me, and so I figured that out sooner. I knew people when I was pretty young who were gay/bi/pan/etc so I was more able to place my own sexuality inside or outside those conceptual frameworks.

7. wanderinggirl

I agree, it's hard to conceptualize discomfort with gender without the vocabulary to describe it. And in some ways in high school/college I measured my success by how feminine I was; I figured everyone felt a little out of place at all times, and that was just a fact of life. So I don't know if it has to do with gender for me but I'm thinking that's part of it.

I wish I'd figured out my sexuality earlier; I just figured "when you know you know" but even though I knew I didn't think it counted.

8. For myself when I was younger I was very into boys and that related to how I presented my gender. I dressed like Britney Spears half the time lol - because I was wanted boys to like me. I never really thought about my gender until my sexuality came up.

I remember when I 1st started questioning, I was really close to a trans man. He spoke to me a lot about his experiences and it sort of rubbed off on me. I didn't dress as feminine anymore. Also I was losing my attraction to men at that time, so what boys thought of me didn't matter.

Then I got busy with kids/school/work/life and my feelings for men returned and I started dressing extra fem again. Now, that I'm home and have no where to run; my gender and sexuality have come up again. I don't think I'm trans, I may just be fluid or curious. When I'm not thinking about gender, I'm shopping for dresses, but when I am, I think about wearing guy clothes and shaving my head.

I still consider myself to be a woman though...whatever that means. Sigh, I'm so confused.

9. celatracy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Listening to others on here I realize it's never too late in life to come out. A lot just depends on what your situation is. I am 52. I don't think the situation gets any easier or harder just whatever we make of it. I didn't when I was younger because of fear and don't today because of fear. I can see it just takes some pretty thick skin.

10. bottomsup

Hi, I question my gender identity all the time, or at the moment anyhow..
    Have decided to try to face and accept being gay, and then take it from there..
    Have kids so cant do a lot without major life changes, so am in limbo, but have at least began to accept myself and all that is possible.
    If I had another life to play with then no problem, but its late now, not sure I could ever integrate and have no support so doubtfull will ever really face gender issues... Still dont know myself, and im 40, hopless lol!.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm still trying to figure out about my gender.

12. June Cleaver

It is never too late, I am starting a new life once again, mother calls me he all the time.it drives me crazy! I am 42 YUCK! too old? Never it's a waste of life to live a lie another day! That is why I have been June all though I don't cross dress. June

13. wanderinggirl

Y'all thanks so much for your responses! I've gone through this all fairly suddenly: I thought I was straight/cis, came out as bi, then gay, then bi, then queer, then uncertain, and now i'm doing all these things and I'm like, why was I so afraid of wearing men's clothing as a kid? Oh yeah that's why... cuz it feels awesome possum. :slight_smile:

But I'm also under a ton of stress in my life and whether I'm resorting to this because it feels like home or because it gives me a sense of control... I'm not sure.

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2014 at 10:37 PM ----------

June I love your attitude :slight_smile:

14. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was going through my transition my therapist noted that a lot of people start coming to terms with gender a little bit later in life. I myself only started to fully accept what was going on when I was about 25 or 26(from what I remember). I was tormented by that secret starting in my early to mid teens, but it took me a long time to come out.

Gender identity can be a hard thing to face. Sexuality is hard in other ways. For me it just seemed scarier since my decisions of what I needed to do to feel comfortable where so life alteringly drastic. Also coming to terms with gender identity can complicate coming to terms with sexuality in so many ways.

15. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in my 40's and I'm just now starting to question it. I just always attributed my oddities to other factors.

The longer I question it, the more that I realise that I'm probably trans. If I were younger and single, I would seriously consider transitioning, but I don't know if I want to go through all that at my age. There's just too many factors involved, family, husband, kid, job, and I don't know if it's really worth it for the time I have left.

I've been dressing and acting pretty gender-neutral for years without really thinking about it (no makeup, no jewelry, shaving only when necessary, manly shoes, no skirts or dresses, male-dominated profession).

I'm thinking about going consciously androgynous instead of my half-hearted attempts at being female. I'm trying to figure out how that could work on someone of my age and with my build.

16. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/152580-genderfluid-hrt-transition.html#2

(*hug*)

17. wanderinggirl

Well congratulations on having found your gender identity; it feels like the "I always knew" narrative is so pervasive, it's hard to get started legitimizing non-cis gender identities if things only started making sense later on.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2014 at 06:51 AM ----------

I wish you luck in your exploration; just because you're in your 40s doesn't mean you have to be this immutable person. As for age and build: nowadays the "androgynous" ideal is this skinny waif-like white model with expensive t-shirts and straight hair. But there are a ton of ways to go androgynous; try looking at men with larger/less muscular builds and how they dress, or look at men's style blogs; sometimes they will do a "dress for your body type" thing, whether or not it's helpful. There's no one way to do androgyny.

18. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a good read when you're trying to figure things out, especially for people questioning later in life. It's part of what brought peace to my mind when I was still questioning.
    The Null HypotheCis

Edit:
    I just re-read part of it and realized it was much more binary gender focused than I remembered. If you're non-binary and can look past those things, it's still a good article. :slight_smile:

#18 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  19. bottomsup

yeah!!

Go June (swirl hands), Go June, Go June!

Fab baby:slight_smile:(!)(!)(!)

20. wanderinggirl

For my nerdy scientist brain this frames everything in a really logical way. Thanks for the awesome link, even if it is binary it can be extended to nonbinary pretty easily.