1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm bi but what is it too late for me to go back now?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by offmychest, Sep 14, 2014.

1. offmychest

offmychest Guest

hi guys. i'm bi. i can be attracted to both men and women. until i was in my early 30s, i only had contact with women. nothing with guys. then i started exploring my sexuality around that time and although there's been limited dating with guys, i know i can be attracted to both. it's taken me a LONG time to deal and accept the male attraction. my counselors suggested that i started to live authentically and stop compartmentalizing my life. in fact they all said that. they said that what i had been doing wasn't working and that i was miserable and that i should start "owning" myself more. well i had been to gay stuff (bars, clubs, gay get-togethers, gay house socials, etc.) but maybe i had never really "owned" being there are being comfortable with that. well in an effort to be more "authentic" i came out to some close friends and associates over the years as bi-curious/questioning and was accepted. it had been too much stress to keep hiding and shifting from the "why aren't you married, dating, questions, and i didn't have the energy to keep it up anymore."

well one lady friend i came out to introduced me to another guy that was gay and i thought ok, this could be great to have gay friends but it was risky to come out to her because she hold sterotypical views of gays but says she is comfortable with gays. but it seems in a sterotypical sense. maybe that is my own perception. well we all hung out and there were a few other people that did not know my situation when we hung out but knew me and her gay friend had a few gay friends with him as well. so it was very hard for me to pretend to be "straight" and not talk join in when the guys were talking about certain gay venues and stuff. it was clear that the gay friends thought or assumed i was gay and the straight friends who did not know about me likely thought i was gay too but my friend asked me a question at the dinner table at the restaurant we were at the made me feel umcomfortable because she asked me something that would let the other straight friends i knew know that i was gay. i just said we can talk about it later. i felt outted but im sure the straight friends already assumed i was gay anyway based on how the gay guys were interacting with me and the conversations i was having with them (they asked me about gay clubs and stuff).

so in a way, the i felt outted but i only outted myself because i should not have told her in the first place or when we first met i could had pretended to be "straight" and act like i did not know what the gay guys were talking about. but i just felt like i was tired of lying or hiding. also again, one of the gay guys there knew my situation already since i had talked to him before. when we got to the restaurant he asked me something gay and tried to clean it up since he wasn't sure if i was comfortable or not and i just answered his question. i guess i was making a stance that i was more comfortable than i actually was. by him trying to "clean it up" he was basically saying: "oh i'm sorry i wasn't sure if you were comfortable talking about being gay/bi in front of others or not." and by me just answering his question, it let him know i was ok with it. but i really wasn't but inside i just did not feel like hiding and lying all night and i also could have missed out on my opportunity to find out about other gay stuff and meet new gay people. so i just went along with things.

in a way, i felt good about not lying or trying to "play straight" and it was a relief and the guys gave me info on other things to do where gay people were. but i also felt scared that the straight people would tell other mutual friends and start rumors about me. since gay dating hasn't really worked out for me and i'm Bi, i have been wondering if i should just date women since i know i can and can be happy but now i'm scared that there will be all these rumors about me and that i have ruined my own reputation or possiblity to go back to having a straight life.

what do you think?

#1 offmychest, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  2. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there,

Disclaimer: any advice from me is probably the blind leading the blind in this case :slight_smile:

But here's an article on the topic I thought was interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/m...c-quest-to-prove-bisexuality-exists.html?_r=0

My perspective is as follows:

1. Sexually, people can be rather fluid in what gets them off.
    2. Romantically, we can love different genders differently.
    3. Identity-wise, it's important to have some kind of peace when you look at yourself in the mirror and say "I am this," whatever "this" may be.
    4. At the end of the day, I think most people yearn for a committed partner and eventually you have to pick someone.

I don't know exactly how to resolve the confusion around these topics. But having spent years basically just thinking about it, I'm starting to feel that some kind of direct action is necessary, even if it leads to mistakes. Otherwise the deadlock just continues.

3. soulcatcher

You should say that you're bisexual.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This :thumbsup:

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^ Third the motion; everyone present seems to be saying "Aye!" There is nothing wrong with saying you are bisexual and deciding to live the "straight" side of that orientation with a wife. Or the opposite. The only conflict is when you try to have a monogamous relationship with one or the other, but do the other side on the down-low. If you want to have the freedom of being honest, just tell anyone who asks that you like some men and some women, but that you are living your life as ____, whichever that is. You already said "i came out to some close friends and associates over the years as bi-curious/questioning and was accepted", so why should there be a problem living an authentic life the way you choose?

6. offmychest

offmychest Guest

Hi all. Im have some real hard time accepting and the pote tial for other closer people that know me from back home can find out im getting nervous and scared and feelimg like a failure. My worlds are colliding and i want it to stop. I felt safer in hiding. When the onlybperaon that knew out this duality was me in my head. The more i try and be authentic the more petrified and depressed i am. Sure people can live their own lives but i dont want to be abnormal. I want to be 100percent straight. I know its stupid because what if i met a great guy and fell in love. I surely couldnt hide him. People would know eventually. Im scared to be bi and what it means to my lofe and how my friends and family perceive me. Being asexual was safer and felt lonely but more safe.

7. Feijoa

I understand where you are coming from. Where I live and work, I can't afford to come out, though it would be nice to have that freedom to do so. At the same time, I'm half comfortable "hiding" in an ambiguity because it IS comfortable and non-confrontational.

The fear of living an authentic life (i.e. being openly bisexual, or whatever label you are comfortable with) also means that you are accepting who you are and saying that you are okay with who you are.

You said:

What struck me was your use of "abnormal". I feel you have a lot of internal conflict about bisexuality vs. what is "normal". And I can only assume your perception of normal is "100percent straight". I'm no therapist, but it seems to me a lot of your anxiety of what other people will think, say and hypothesise is really a reflection of what you are thinking and hypothesising about yourself.

You can find a partner - male or female - and live a happy normal life (yes, even with a male partner) but I think you need to come to terms with yourself first on what that means. A part of you keeps wanting to explore in conversation with others about being gay, or bisexual - or sharing experiences with them (be it a gay bar, or nightclub, or dinner conversation) but that other part keeps playing the devil on your shoulder on the impending DISASTER of it all.

You take your time with who you come out to - and you can explain to people that you are confiding in them because you are taking small steps. But don't close yourself off to something you clearly want to experience, and determine for yourself whether this is your true self or not.

The earth will not crack open and suffocate you. Everything will be in your time, just trust that when a situation arises (like the conversations about bars, etc) they aren't bad, and no-one is shining a spotlight on you demanding a response.

8. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    OMC thank you for trusting us to share your heart. No matter what Feijoa is correct... all will work out. Like the Trevor Project "it gets better". A while ago I thought that phrase was a load of crap and so trite... but it is getting better believe it or not. So my hope is that you will find your "sweet spot in life" and be comfortable with yourself.

9. offmychest

offmychest Guest

Thanks all. Some days i feel like "who cares just live your life" others days i feel like a disgrace to my famiky and a horrible person and that i should be straight and perfect and normal like everyone else. I also feel this insormountable weight and duty to keep this a secret for fear of it being outted to everyone later on down the road which really scares me that people would see me as gay. I am afraid of that. Being asexual seemed safer but gosh so unfullfilling. Exploring seemed scary and at times great fun at bars or clubs and then at other times great guilt and shame.i wish there was a way to be like everyone else and i am very concerned with what others thinknof me more than what i thinknof myself.

10. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm feeling that uncomfortable fear now. Coming out is not a good feeling. :frowning2:
    Can totally relate to that bisexual thing though. That's why I'm mildly looking forward to college, it's like a new slate.

11. bi2me

Offmychest - There is no normal or perfect, although it can be hard to see that when it is all people try to project (especially on social media). Keep in mind that this is your journey. It can be as fast or slow as you want. Find a place you are comfortable and make it your own!

Bubblemonger - College is awesome! Use the opportunity to give yourself a reset (or several) and figure out how you want to live. Many of us on EC wish we had figured it out while we were still in college and had relatively fewer consequences to experimenting with our lifestyles. Find who you want to be and enjoy! You can always change your mind later :slight_smile: