1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Know who I am now

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by doglover44, Sep 15, 2014.

1. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I have finally come to my self I'm gay but how do I tell my wife this of 3 years of marriage ?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have any kids?

3. BeingEarnest

That is a huge realization. I hope it brings you peace inside.
    Telling your wife will be loaded emotionally and physically for you both, and the moment you tell her, it sets things in motion immediately. You may want to prepare yourself for the many ways she can respond, and ask yourself if you are ready. Will you be able to respond with love and understanding as she deals with her feelings, which will be intense.
    I wish you well.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not having kids makes it infinitely simpler, if not easier, to tell her. The "how" is simple enough as well, if you don't mess about with a long preamble.

Tell her as soon as possible when you start this difficult conversation. Do you think she suspects something?

5. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Ya a lot the way I walk talk and look at guys

6. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    if you were in her position wouldn't you want to know the truth? im a rip the band aid off quick kind of guy but that's just me

7. Blossom85

I think just sit her down and just tell her, it is going to be hard no matter how long you wait to tell her, I think really think about what you wanna say to her, now you wanna say it and just be prepared for whatever her reaction might be. You think she suspects, it could be a relief to her to finally know for sure, but it still is not going to make it hurt any less for both of you. As others have mentioned, she is most likely going to ask you a lot of questions and if I was her, the main one in my head would be where do we go from here. I think as husband and wife, there is going to be a lot of support needed on both sides and I think you need to be as respectful as you can of her feelings as well. I wish you the best of luck and hope it all goes okay for you when you do tell her.

8. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I just feel bad it took me 3 years of marriage to figure it out

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's better than the 20 years it took me! Besides, without kids, a divorce is really a painful breakup with paperwork...

10. Blossom85

You sound to me like a sensitive soul and I can understand feeling bad about that. You might have been in denial, or just not realized it till now. I myself didn't realize I was bisexual till I found myself falling for a woman, it took me two years to really be happy and comfortable with finally saying it and accepting it, so please don't feel bad about how long it has taken you, you just need to concentrate on the now and the future, not what could have been or should have happened earlier. Like I said, think it through what you wanna say, practice it in your head for a while, maybe practice in front of a mirror saying it out loud, see how it feels on your lips as your saying it, but for the most part, just remain sensitive to what your wife will be going through as well with your own feelings.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One bit of advice...

If three years is difficult imagine 5, 10, 15, 20....

Exponentially more difficult.

12. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I just feel like I wasted 3 years of her time I wonder why I ever got married to begin with

13. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Now I'm starting to look at apartment s

14. Benway

Benway Guest

Well, there's no reason you guys can't still be friends, right? If it's an uncontested divorce all you have to do is go down to your local district court with your wife, sign some papers and you guys just won't be married anymore-- there's no reason you can't be friends if you like each other that way, right?

15. Benway

Benway Guest

Right and like greatwhale said, not having kids makes it a whole heckuva lot simpler! I'm not going to pretend I know what you're going through, but as far as I can tell, as long as both of you are still friends after signing the right papers for an uncontested divorce, it's all no harm no foul-- plus you both now have lots of fond memories to share with your respective friends. Try to look at the bright side, I think.

16. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I just wish my life had a reset button

17. CyclingFan

Cause you thought it would make you both happy?

Better now than later. I've been married for 10, and realized that I hadn't quite finished answering some questions about myself. She and I talked about it. It's been painful, but our lives make more sense. She's still my bestie, and I'm very thankful for that.

We didn't waste that time, we cared about each other quite a lot, even though that's not going to mean our relationship continues in the same way.

Better to do it now before this makes you both miserable with each other.

18. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Im the one that's been miserable and depressed