1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to hospital

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Richie., Sep 17, 2014.

1. Richie.

After therapy yesterday had real bad chest pain part of me knew it was a panic attack but I relented and went anyways it was really scary I thought I was going to die

Just my luck to die after all the shit I've been through

Hope your all ok

Peace

2. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    sorry to hear that but glad your ok!

3. Blossom85

It's always good to go to the hospital even if you think you know what it is, especially when it involves chest pain. Good to hear you are okay.

4. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Richie

Sorry to hear that your therapy is causing you so much mental and physical pain, I can only hope that in the end it’s worth it and that the temporary pain is part of the healing process as you work through the issues. It’s good that you went to hospital to get your chest pain looked at and I hope they gave you a thorough check out and all is well so that if it happens again you know it’s not your heart. Did they confirm a panic attack, and if so did they give you any breathing exercises to do to help with the panic attack if it happens again?

On a positive note it sounds from what you’ve written that you wanted to live, when a similar thing happened to me I wasn’t scared and wanted to die to get away from all the shit in my life (but I’ve got past that now).

(*hug*) SGG

5. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Richie panic attacks are horrid. Sorry you are having such stress. I find the thinking of stress as a bucket theory works. When the bucket is full I get panic attacks. I can't always predict when a big portion of stress will come and cause my bucket to overflow so I have to bail out the bucket as I go. A Walk in the park, a bubble bath or a workout help me keep stress down and keep enough space in the bucket just in case.
    I am glad you got things checked out.

6. Richie.

Thanks guys, it was scary, I've had these before but not for a very long time, like you azure, the bucket fills up and you reach catastrophic levels. I still a little stressed but I know it's anxiety having an ECG helps confirm it though.

You're all beautiful people!

Peace

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Richie,

Glad you are better.

The worst part about this is most all of us suffer anxiety. If there was no anxiety there would be no closet.

What bothers me is that when more open societies accept "gay" they make no allowance for past sins and the anxiety and mental health damage it caused. It is as if "gay marriage is legal now, all past sins of society are resolved". Mental health does not work that way.

Every community should have gay community centers just like senior centers that address past issues and create normalized, safe places for gay people to meet. A form of reparations for past sins.

Heal those suffering and normalize youth.

Just my opinion.

Tom

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey Richie. pain almost like none other isn't it? glad you got some clearance that it wasn't your heart. i also hope all this turmoil gives you peace at the end so you can look forward with a glad heart and some contentment.(*hug*)

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been there. In December 2011 and December 2012, I had really really bad chest pain. The first time it was stress from the job moving downtown. The 2nd time was a bad snowstorm. They have down EKG's about 10 different times between urgent care, my doctor, and the hospital. All was normal. Then last year, the stress of my job was so bad that I had dizziness and shortness of breath. Long story is that I had to be hospitalized for that as I thought I was having a seizure or a brain hemorrhage. It felt like my head was exploding. I think subconsciously the continued stress of being closeted and in a hostile workplace(not LGBT but race related). I just couldn't deal with it, and they ended up firing me anyways for too many sick days even though I was in the hospital. Wishing you good mental health.

10. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    Panic attacks are scary as hell. I know from experience. I'm sorry that you had one, but I'm glad that you got it checked out. I hope that as your therapy progresses, the dark night lifts, and you find it was all worthwhile.

11. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Skiff: I love the idea of gay community centres.

SGG

12. Richie.

They have them all over the UK

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2014 at 07:12 PM ----------

Thanks for the kind posts guys!

13. tscott

Glad you're okay. I've on meds for it. Every panic attack I've had has had heart attack symptoms. It's always a trip to the ER. God forbid it's ever real, but better safe than sorry. You did the right thing.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Richie, has your psychologist gone over breathing techniques and other self-soothing techniques to use when anxiety comes up? I've had advises get some pretty strong anxiety symptoms come up while talking to them and I've found the breathing and self soothing works very well.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd done this, too, a time or two or three. Like others have said, better safe than sorry. Glad you're ok.