1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you see your life in the next years when you're already old aged?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Marshal Andrew, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Marshal Andrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm just wondering. All right, I'm gay, and I planned not to marry. So, yeah, basically I'm alone.

But probably I'll join a community, so yeah, still a lot of people. What community? I don't know. But yeah, no intimate relationship. If I can, I wish I will have a kid.

So what's yours?

I don't even know who's going to bury me when I die. O_O

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Life is not that compartmentalized for me...

I do not need a "community" per se. I need friends, companions, life partners, but to attach to a societal construct of "community" is not necessary for me. Sick of their carrots and sticks.

Being gay and having lived in the closet I can see the flawed, herd mentality of society with its compliance, rewards and sticks. Their big guns being fear and rejection for non compliance. When I do not rely on their rewards their weapons are useless.

But I need a social network and the more eclectic the better. My closest friends also see the world in similar ways.

I am also not blind to the fact that gaydom has its own set of compliance, rewards and sticks. Even EC has community conventions that are enforced and people get punished.

Just be aware of community conventions for what they are worth but don't hang your self worth on them. Imagine you are in the jungle and there is a panther there too. Be "aware" where the panther is but constant fear of of the panther is pointless.

Three year plans... None beyond learn, adapt and grow as a person.

Don't worry they will bury you. Ever smelled a fish after three days? LOL

As far as "alone" or that being bad... Indirect...

[​IMG]

Tom

#2 skiff, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hang on... you have a total misconception about aging.

Only the body ages. The heart, soul and being is always young. Anything is possible.

Those old in spirit (grumpy, unchanging, stubborn) are already dead (minority).

Tom

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner and I have been starting to think rather seriously about what our plans are for retirement--we're in our forties but hope to retire at a relatively young age (only relatively--we're talking 60 instead of 65). We basically would just like to know that we can maintain the lifestyle we currently have (which is nice, but certainly not extravagant) without working or worrying--which, hopefully will give us more time to spend with each other and with friends. I've been toying lately with the idea of retiring in San Francisco but I think that's just because we're going there this week and in preparation for the trip I've been rereading the Tales of the City books which are set in San Francisco in the seventies. I tend to think the impulse I am having is more a desire to retire in the seventies than in San Francisco.:lol: I kind of hope so though, because Frisco's expensive and if that's the plan we're going to have to start stepping up our investment strategies.:icon_wink