1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am out. I feel good about it.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Meetyou123, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Meetyou123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I came out a few weeks ago. I started out doing it on line and then talked to my family. My parents were a bit freaked out to actually hear it and it took a couple of weeks before we had a normal conversation. Both of them figured that I was gay since I never really dated women. In the few weeks time in conversing with them they quickly learned that nothing truly changed about me, there was just a piece of me that was never present.

I am looking forward to meeting other men and starting to date. With all of that I am also nervous but not in a bad way. I would say it is like starting a new job.

Since I am 39 and everything is new I hope that everybody here who came out and acted on everything later in life can provide me with some guidance. Right now I think the biggest question that I have is what is it like to go from living a hetrosexual life to being with somebody of the same sex. I am not been with a member of the opposite sex as it never felt right. I think it will feel natural but I also think that I will have the same fear as everybody else and that is what will people think when I go out in public.

Thanks for everybody's support. This is an awesome website and support group.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    congrats on coming out. im in the process keep us up on your journey

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no better feeling than being true to yourself, and doing so in a manner where you do not care that others know. The equality movement and pro gay support that is available in westernized countries today is amazing, and it certainly was one of the compelling factors in making the decision to come out (amongst many including family, career, etc).

Good luck on your journey, it's well worth it!

4. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes congrats!!

5. CyclingFan

Congratulations!

6. outbard

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations! I am 32 and have taken the last year to ease out of the closet. I feel pretty lost because at least in the hetero world I knew where to go to date and how I was "supposed" to act as a female... I am excited, but scared. My family has not been receptive, but my friends have been amazing so that has been hard on me. I soooo feel you on finally feeling like yourself. Yay!

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out, even if you have waited a long time to do it, as many of us have. The main thing is to continue to "be yourself"as you naturally are; don't try to act out what you think a gay man is supposed to be, be what you already are. And, don't worry much about what other people will think; most of them won't.

8. Dreamsandwishes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well done on coming out. X

9. Rachy1984

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well done on coming out! I came out to my mum and sister who were both fantastic. Decided to tell one of my brothers today. Was a bit nervous but he just said oh I already thought that lol. Xx

10. Meetyou123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your support and the advice that you have given. I think one of the biggest things for me is how at peace I am with this. I know that I will face challenges but that is life and in all honesty I believe my biggest challenge was denying to myself who i really was.

I haven't really started to date yet but I have met some new friends just to converse with and have friends. I do look forward to dating and hopefully meeting somebody that I can have a connection with.

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! And, yes, it feels extremely natural!

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hah. Personally I'd say "natural" is a vast understatement....but you can decide that for yourself eventually. Congratulations! You won't regret it. And our brains aren't very good at holding back just one aspect of ourselves. Once you let the big secret out, you may find a whole lot of wonderful aspects of your personality that you've kept in check for years without even realizing it, that start finding a voice. When you look back a year from now, you'll be amazed at the change for the better!

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You asked what it is like to go from living a heterosexual life to being with somebody of the same sex. Well, truth be told, it is the most natural thing in the world, the kissing, hugging and caressing are all the same, plus there is that pleasant surprise as you move your way downward... :grin: