1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would like a girlfriend

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Penpal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Penpal

I've been separated since April so not that long. But I really would like a girlfriend. It's totally the wrong time and I'm still mainly in the closet but I am finding that I am attracted to more women. I think now I have accepted myself I just want to find someone who wants the same as me. The problem I have is because I am so closeted the women I meet are straight! I need to step out the closet but I'm stuck. I always figured I could stay in the closet until I meet someone. Actually how can I meet someone if I'm in the closet?

2. CyclingFan

This is why I decided to get the heck out of that closet as fast as possible. :slight_smile:

Figure the more people I'm letting know, the more likely I can find me some fellas. Still getting completely comfortable tho. :slight_smile:

3. Penpal

Did you find someone?

4. CyclingFan

Well, not quite yet. :slight_smile:

But I've only been out to myself since April, out to my wife since May and then moved out since August.

I'm trying to get comfortable saying that to more people though. I really do figure that the more people I tell, the more people who I have good, honest interactions with, the more likely I can find me a nice guy even if it's not directly at that time.

5. LittleLionGirl

There's always online dating. But apart from that CF has a point. Until you come out, it's hard to be out & about.

It still blows my mind every time I tell a straight woman that I'm now dating women and they tell me they think they might be gay too. Or would be interested in experimenting with me! It happened to me again yesterday at work. (She'll be borrowing my book, last of the good girls on Monday.)

So all those women you think are straight, may be thinking the same thing about you. You'll never know until you come out.

6. AJ Bee

It's not easy, but it can happen. I met my ex-girlfriend while in the closet (actually, I still am.) We were talking and she said she was a lesban, but "don't worry I wont hit on you"... trying to make me comfortable because she thought I was straight. So I told her it was OK if she did (hit on me) and we dated for a year and a half.

7. CyclingFan

I just figure who exactly do I need to hide it from anyway?

The person I was really hiding from is myself, anyway. :slight_smile:

8. Penpal

I think I'm just scared. If I had someone in my life I don't think I would hide it. The people I have told have made it a bit difficult. My husband has left me although im glad sbout that now. My mum said she hopes I'm not gay and I should hide it. She did say she would support me but not to tell my dad or sister or anyone else, and don't hang round with gay people. I guess she wouldn't approve of the lesbian walking group I joined :slight_smile:.
    I told a close friend who I had fallen in love with I was Bi. She was supportive to start with, then turned her back on me when my husband found out I was Bi. It turned out she is bi too and has a girlfriend now. She has started talking to me since I split with my husband but I'm careful not to get attached. I had a lot of counselling over her. I'm still not over her.
    Another of my best friends persuaded me to tell my ex and now it's all gone pear shaped she hardly talks to me. She says she is there for me but actually just criticises everything I do.
    I do have some very supportive friends though. One of them has a sister who they have asked me to talk to because she is suffering with depression and I have too. I am but I'm being careful because there is something about her that I am attracted to and I don't want to end up falling for her.
    I'm ashamed of myself at the moment. The walking group I joined ask me to go out on walks. I Like going but I'm terrified I will be seen. I have 2 young sons and in this town the gossip is awful. The group is very open about their sexuality, and that's exactly what they should be but I'm not there yet.
    I must sound pathetic.

9. Rachy1984

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You don't sound pathetic at all xx

10. Richie.

No one will reject you Mel, it's scary coming out. I strongly suggest you get in touch with healthy gay life and get yourself some acceptance councilling. You haven't had good responses from 2 people same as me, I'm out and everyone has accepted me, nothing changes. Just the burden of holding onto the homophobia you've had instilled in you. You're beautiful, and there is nothing wrong with you, your fabulous!

Go be gay/bi and forget the people who don't accept you for you. Because you deserve to be happy, as much as everyone else.

You need to get out there ..

Also whilst you hide who you are, the people who matter will never see the real you.

Be brave

Love ya x

#10 Richie., Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  11. Penpal

You are so Brave Rich. I'm terrified! I have done a lot of grieving lately for relationships that weren't what I thought. Losing anymore right now could push me over again. I'm off the anti depressants now, I've started a new business, I have 3 jobs at the moment! I'm scared of rocking the boat. Wish I could meet someone and then tell the world.

12. Tudor

Hey Penpal...kind of know how you feel...when I finally admitted to myself I was gay...I felt like a teenager again and was desperate for a girlfriend. I was totally in the closet then...and now...I'm 3/4's out but still firmly closeted to some.

I've had a couple of relationships...both have been started online...I'm shy so find this easier for me...plus I don't know any lesbians in my day to day life and my gaydar is non-existent!

Whether you take the decision to come out of the closet or not...only you can decide, has to be right for you...good luck what ever you decide and hope you meet someone :slight_smile:

13. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Penpal I don't think the problem is meeting someone while in the closet, It's more that the closet Is a nasty place to take someone for a first date! you know I am very much In love with my girl but It's all so untidy like this, out to some but not others, worrying those who know will talk to those who don't, it's crazy. I know it's not easy to finish the job of coming out but I do hope we both find the courage because we deserve some happiness.

14. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  15. Really

Hey! Good on you for joining the walking group! That's something, you know.
    As for "being seen" with them - they're not wearing t-shirts advertising they're gay, are they? If anyone sees you out with them and for some strange reason knows they're gay, you could just say you were looking for a walking group and came across this one. You checked it out and liked their schedule. I don't think there needs to be anything nefarious about it.

16. Penpal

Next step mediation with my ex! Dreading it but at least it means I will be free to move on! Then hopefully I will have the time to put into a new relationship.

17. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Finding someone takes times, patience is necessary but I honestly believe there is someone for everyone. You just gotta hope for the best as I'm doing now. It doesn't completely suck because I'm using this time to work on myself first. :slight_smile:

18. DarkestDream

Bane is right...it takes time for anyone to find someone who we have things in common with. In the meantime, you have this chance to work on you, and things that you want to accomplish for your life. The thing to remember is that no matter who you come across in life, and no matter what their opinion...THEY CAN'T LIVE YOUR LIFE..so don't let them dictate what happens in it! Your happiness is important. I'll keep good thoughts for you in your new life's journey. :slight_smile:

19. LittleLionGirl

I'm going with Bane & Darkest Dream on this one. Having been there myself, I don't feel out of line advising you to get your house in order first, before you invite anyone into it.

I know your excitement and inherent anxiousness to just GET ON WITH IT, especially considering how long we've all put it off. BUT. (yes, it's the dreaded BIG BUT) You're not ready. You're not out, you're not at peace with yourself, you're not settled with what you're leaving. How can you possibly be ready to present your confident self to others? Nothing good, whole or happy is likely to come from it.

This is a new journey, fraught with enough unknowns and insecurities, do you really want to carry all your current baggage along with you? I started down that road and pretty promptly realized that I needed to withdraw until I got my head and heart in the right place. And I've got to tell you, now that everything is - more or less - where it belongs, it's a whole new WONDERFUL experience.

I took a six month to get my life in order. And after 47 years, it hardly registered on the radar. Now I can meet a woman and not be that mess on the other side of the table. I can, without fear of the wrong person spying my interaction, comfortably invite her into my life. I don't have to drag her into the closet with me, but can happily meet her OUT! And let me tell you, I'm doing it. And it's GREAT!

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2014 at 09:27 PM ----------

Hey Really - maybe the lesbians in BC are more subdued, but where I live, they're proud and LOUD! I go to meet ups and the loudest in the groups inevitably end up pronouncing our sexual preferences to all and sundry. If Penpal, or anyone else for that matter, is not prepared to deal with the repercussions, I would strongly dissuade them from putting themselves in those situations. All it takes is one wrong witness to bring down a house of cards and if the risk is too great, it's just not worth it to leap prematurely. (IMHO)

20. Really

Ha! I've actually got no idea what they're like here as a group. I just thought in a group setting where there is an intended goal/purpose, that would be the focus. But what do I know? Of course, if there's any discomfort, by all means be circumspect. I don't advise doing anything anyone is not ready for.

Everyone keeps advising looking into meetups and whatnot as a more relaxed/less intimidating alternative to dating sites for meeting people but I guess you have to be quite a bit closer to being totally out than I thought, I guess. Kind of makes it hard if you just want to be around other LGBT people without that being the focus. I guess wherever you go, you need to be prepared to have people think you're totally out, no?

Urgh.