1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went on an overnight trip by myself for the first time

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Pete1970, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Pete1970

So my favorite musician was playing a concert 2 1/2 hours away on Friday night. I was going by myself as nobody in know likes her and it was sold out so finding even 1 ticket was an adventure.
    Now I have been to concerts and other things by myself before, but I didn't really want to drive that far that late. So I decided to make it a mini trip and get a room for the night.
    I just wanted to say that the whole trip was awesome. Not only the concert which was amazing but just being able to go where I wanted and eat where and when I wanted, to go to sleep when I wanted. Drink what I wanted.

I didn't feel awkward about going to places by myself and didn't feel lonely. I know it was just one night but I see now that it may not be all bad to live by myself when the time comes

2. Penpal

Nice to enjoy your own company now and again. I'm assuming you are still married. i find going for a coffee and reading a paper feels like a mini holiday nowadays.

3. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done Pete1970, the first time is always hardest. After my partner died, I struggled even to go to the cinema alone (I remember walking past the cinema and round the block three times before plucking up courage to go in). Now I've had several trips away alone, weekends, overnights, even a three week trip to Thailand and Cambodia alone. I'm going to India soon..... Id much rather be with someone special, but travelling or doing things alone is sometimes empowering and quite satisfying too.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! There's a lot to be said for enjoying alone time.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait until you start doing extended trips alone as well; a massive amount of freedom for sure!

6. CyclingFan

I was just thinking about how much I need to take a vacation. I've had to burn quite a few days here and there through this process and getting divorced and everything.

But I'm feeling kinda burnt out and I could use a week off. Talked to my boss about it and he's cleared me to look even though we are pretty busy and getting even busier.

Wish I had time/money to get back to Europe this year. Maybe next year.

My ex and I were pretty good travel companions. My last trip I went with my brother, so at least I've had a trip without her so maybe it won't feel too strange. It was really great travelling with him since he talks to lots of people more naturally than me.

7. AAASAS

You are lucky you can do that, a lot of people can't enjoy their own company. I like being alone at home, but not when I'm out.

8. CyclingFan

I was just mentioning my need for a week vacation and he suggested NYC. That's a thinker. I bet I could have a really good time in NYC.

There might even be gay people there.