1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does this happen ?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by doglover44, Oct 7, 2014.

1. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Why do us gay guys go into straight relationshipa get married then discover our selfs years down the road ?

2. Basil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fear and isolation.

The world has changed a lot in 20 years. Don't think you will see many of today's 13 year olds doing that.

3. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We do what we believe society expects us to do.

4. CyclingFan

Fear and isolation cover it pretty well for me. Even when I was in places like where that would have been much less of an issue, I'd still spent enough time afraid and isolated that I didn't let it out then. By the time I'd met my wife I was super isolated but didn't even know why anymore, but I know that unanswered questions about my sexuality were part of how I got there.

Yeah, if I'd been I afraid enough to ask those questions as they came up, I doubt that I would have gone down this route.

5. DarkestDream

I went through the same thing. Family pressure, society, and wanting to please people. Not a good combo.

6. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I just can't stop acting who I am not this isn't the real me

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Societal repression makes it harder for some people to figure it out earlier

8. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I mean look at me now married 3 years and been depressed and upset and not getting any better

9. Penpal

I'm Bi and can honestly say I was in love with my husband. I was confused before meeting him though. When I met him it all fell into place. I was happy for many years. It wasn't until things changed in our relationship that I found myself attracted to a woman again. Once that happened it grew inside me until I had to tell someone. The rest is history.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It much more than "expects", it is more "comply or reject, punish, and torment for my generation. Some were beaten and some died, many more lives simply destroyed.

I know for me society laughing about the "gay plauge" or news reports... (Mathew Shepherd) kept me terrified to come out.

Even here in liberal MA I know gay, married couples who will not do a PDA as they don't want to risk a nice day being spoiled by an idiot.

Society is brutal to minorities.

Tom

#10 skiff, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  11. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did it because I slept with a female and got her pregnant and wanted to do the right thing I only went out with her because of a dare I no that's no a good reason but I was young and dumb

12. DarkestDream

That's the biggest problem, isn't it...we all want to do the 'right thing'. Then stuff like this happens. I'm sorry. :icon_sad: (*hug*)

13. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep. Did what parents and society expected. I never knew there was any other box but the one I was brought up in. It took me three marriages and 25 years to find other boxes…and I kind of like most of them, or none of them, or the bits in between…
    Thankfully my current partner and I have always been polyamorous, so other people and experiences are an option…I've had a few...but now I live in the middle of no where and never socialize :/

14. DarkestDream

I kinda wish I lived in the middle of nowhere..or a commune in the middle of nowhere...but that's just me. I get more support from forums like this than in rl.

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You usually want to live up to the expectations of your parents and the peers who surround you, even if the world today is more tolerant than it was back when some of us older people were growing up different. Sometimes you don't have a strong self-image to KNOW what you are, so you assume that everyone else getting married to women around you feels the same way that you do, that it is normal to feel ambivalent or not have a strong sexual attraction to women, because YOU don't know what "normal" is, having never experienced it. So, you just go with the flow and do what they did. Then, 3 years later, you are more mature or have some kind of male contact, and bang, you know what you are missing all of a sudden.

You can "fix" your situation rather easily being married only 3 years and with no kids. Don't worry about WHY it happened, just explain yourself to your wife and free both of you up to get with the right kind of partner. You are are doing neither of you a favor by stretching things out and wasting both of your times.

16. Richie.

Fear of rejection

17. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

The thing is I knew I liked boys when I was a kid

18. bi2me

Even if you liked boys as a kid, you didn't necessarily realize that that was it for you. Don't beat yourself up. You made a mistake. Think about how many straight people don't last in marriages. They didn't even have this issue. The only thing you can do now is set it right for yourself and your wife. It isn't an unchangeable situation. It is a really tough place to be in, but you can get out of it, hopefully with your friendship in tact.

Keep posting. We are here for you :slight_smile:

19. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I did as society and family expected which cause a lot of personal pain. I knew I was living a lie and perpetuating it until I just couldn't lie anymore.

20. P25

P25 Guest

It's not just gay guys. There are women out there (me included) who get married not only due to societal pressures but also for religious reasons. I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic school my entire life and fell in love with my female best friend at 14. Been in love with her ever since. We are both married now with kids-after all being a good Catholic that's what you do. I do love my husband and have chosen to stay. My best friend and I have done the back and forth for 20 years. Each time she ends it after we get too close an breaks my heart. At this point it's for the better bc I know for a fact she is not ready to come out and never will...and at this point she has broken my heart so bad (because, I believe of her fear of how she feels about me and what that means...) that I can't let her back in.

On the other side of the coin is my life with my husband. We have had our issues, but At this point I am in it for the long haul.