1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from a newbie

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Dreamsandwishes, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dreamsandwishes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi

I was given this website from a friend and since then I have paced the floor and gone ove and over what on earth to write.

I am a mature married woman, who just hasn't faced up to her feelings or needs for four decades. As a child I had no interest in men, I prefered playing with my female friends and messing about with them, I had a few experimental times with my best friend but that dwindled out as we grew older. I was eager to learn more about a womans body than I was about a man. But in writing that I just never had the confidence or the guts to just be who I felt I was. I didn't know anyone who was gay and society certainly frowned on it.

I have been married, divorced and married again, had children, but through those years I have so often want the love of a woman. I came out to my best male friend who was also gay and went to a few support groups, but because I was still married I wasn't really welcomed and soon gave up.

I managed to bottle up my feelings and thoughts, I am married to a good man but it is a sexless marriage. But for the past year I cannot stop feeling this urge and need to be with someone who would truly understand me, know who I am so I wouldn't have to hide anymore.

I had an amazing talk with a girl friend who has been so supportive and I can talk to her about most things. She too has said she is bi which is a surprise and we talked a bit about what she feels etc. She is such a liberated person, so much confidence. Can you buy that somewhere as I seem to have that part missing from my shopping list of life.

So I found this site, hoping that I can make some online friends and have people to talk about things, who have gone through the same or doing so right now. I am afraid I am not ready to bound out of the closet. but I want to get to a place where I am more sure of me and who I am.

I look forward to conversing with you all.

thanks

2. jnr183

Just wanted to say welcome to you, dreamsandwishes. This has been a really wonderful forum for me. I don't post too often and usually when I do it is because I need to vent about something. I have received wonderful advice from others on here and the best thing about EC is how non-judgmental everyone is regarding all of our different situations.

It sounds cliche but everybody's path and needs are different and I think this site will help you figure out whether staying married or talking about it with your husband or something entirely different is the right thing for you. Looking back to my first post from a year ago, I was in a very different mindset then. I like to think things have changed for the better.

Life is short. I have no doubt that others on here can help you and I hope I have something to offer to you as well!

3. LittleLionGirl

Good morning Dreams & Wishes, welcome to EC. It sounds like this forum is a good place for you, I'm sure you'll find much support and insight here. Read around, dig back to older posts and don't hold back from expressing yourself.

It really is a wonderful place and a great source of both comfort and knowledge. Not to mention all the kindred spirits you'll find here - many souls with different experiences on similar journeys.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  5. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Dreamsandwishes and welcome to EC. You have came to the right place. I'm sorry you weren't welcomed in your support group, but you are definitely welcome here.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, welcome to EC.

7. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome and enjoy the site.

8. Dreamsandwishes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for the lovely welcome.

Thing came to a head a few months ago when I met a girl, it was like being hit by a truck. I couldn't stop thinking about her. Have since found out she is straight so I have been avoiding her as much as possible. But it woke me to the possibility that the reason I am depressed, the reason for my long term anxiety is that I have been hiding away too long and I need to find out who I am for my own health.

I have had crushes for many years on and off, always with straight women. The one gay lady I fell for didn't want to know being my friend even because I was married.

I thank you all for being so accepting.

9. OOC73

Hiya :slight_smile:

I could have written your post, exactly word for word, pretty much. Welcome to EC. I too have had ongoing long term problems with depression and anxiety and it's only really now that I am realising why. This is a very safe space to explore how you are feeling, ask questions and find answers. Xxx

10. waterfall

waterfall Guest

Welcome Dreamsandwishes!!
    OMG! I could have written your post too! You have certainly found a home where there are so many of us in the same situation.
    I am finding the same lack of acceptance by other gay women because I am married but I am not ready to just walk away from a good marriage, after all these years, just because of this fact. My husband is my best friend, has been so supportive and understanding. We have 3 adult children, that think he walks on water and would have a very hard time accepting any reason that I would leave their father, let alone because I have realized I'm gay at this geriatric stage of my life :slight_smile: I need time to sort it all out, get to know and understand myself. There is no longer any question in my mind that I am lesbian but it's just so complicated.
    My question is…if there are so many of us here on EC that are in the same situation then where the hell are they outside of cyberspace?
    I am not looking for another relationship with a woman. The first one nearly killed me when she ended the romance and since I'm not a cat, I'm not sure I can spare another life but it would be heaven, to sit and talk with other women that are going through the same crazy, roller coaster feelings that I am!
    Oh and come to think of it ( a lightbulb just went on ) my " trigger crush" ended the relationship because it was destroying her marriage, she broke all ties and communication, left me devastated, so maybe that's why other members of the gay community are afraid to get involved with married women? Ya think? :dry:

#10 waterfall, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  11. Penpal

Welcome to the EC, lots of us here in a similar situation. I've found the EC a fantastic place to come and talk and find out who I am. Looking forward to talking to you.

12. DancingGirl

Where are all the other married just realized I am gay people? Hiding. Thats why we are on here. There may be one sitting next to you on the bus during your morning commute. I have had these feelings for two years and only my trigger crush, mom, bff and now my therapist know.
    My town used to have a group just for people like us at our LGBT center. But I guess it just became more like a place to meet and hook up with other married might be gay people and they would leave to go have sex. The folks running it decided to shut it down because they felt like some weird form of pimp. The lady I talked to said it was making a few really looking for help uncomfortable. They are hoping to start it back up but with a few more rules. Heres to hoping.

13. waterfall

waterfall Guest

Here's to hoping DancingGirl! If they start it up I might come…it's not that far from
    North Carolina to Michigan :icon_wink

#13 waterfall, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  14. DancingGirl

Lol :grin: they did start one just for the men. No women allowed. I actually contacted her again today. She said there is a possibility of a group starting at our YWCA. I guess they have been getting some calls asking about it.
    I would be so happy to see some gals locally with these thoughts. To reassure you there are three folks at my work who were previously in heterosexual marriages that have came out in the last three years. So they are out there.
    Btw welcome to EC Dreamsandwishes. We all have an idea of what you are going through and this is a great bunch of poeple. Just reach out to us. Take care.

15. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Welcome to EC Dreamsandwishes. I just read about the same type of group in my community. I have thought about going. Maybe I'll try after a few therapy sessions under my belt.

16. DarkestDream

I just wanted to say 'hi' Dreamsandwishes! Kind of a late posting but I thought I'd say hello on your thread. :slight_smile: :smilewave

17. LittleLionGirl

My local LGBTQ center runs a bi-weekly support group for "Women Coming Out of Straight Marriage", I found that group as well as many other lesbian focused groups (some social, some support) on meet-up dot com.

Also bears saying that when I'm open with other people, more times than I would have ever expected, they're open with me. Just today I mentioned to our bookkeeper that I met someone on a specific online dating site. She said she was on there too but had never seen me. I was a bit slow on the uptake and pointed out we were looking for different things, that's when she told me she's bi.

Maybe it's where I live, or my subconscious only coming out to people that I sense are safe, but the larger majority of people I've come out to have just come out right back at me. That's the biggest perk of being out, when I opened myself up to the world, the world opened up to me.

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep...a late hello from me as well! I think/hope you'll find us a very nice and helpful lot.

Enjoy your stay...

Oh, and that confidence you say you forgot to pick up?...you'll find it's already in your cart...but it can be pretty hard to spot at times. Just relax and trust that it's there somewhere, and it'll turn up eventually. *hugs*

19. Polka Dots

Hello, dreamsandwishes. I'm new here, myself, and the more I post on EC, the more I enjoy it. Coming to terms with same-sex attraction is difficult, but from what I've encountered you've certainly come to the right place.

Best wishes and I hope to see you around the forum.

20. Dreamsandwishes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi

I can't seem to find any centres in my area at all so looks like it is online route for me. Having a bad day today. Girl I like is coming tomorrow and I just want to be out of the house but know I have to see her. My friend who I talked to said maybe she is bi but all she talks about are the muscle keep fit men she has lived with and ones that her best friend is fixing her up with. But when she looks at me, I just melt even though I am trying so hard not to.

Have done a lot of thinking and my first trigger crush was when I was 12 and my mum caught us messing about, she shouted and told me I was being bad and letting her down. I feel guity about sex in general. After that I had another crush when I was 16 for a number of years, I told her I was gay, she even came to some gay discos with me but nothing happened, we never had that conversation. She is now married with kids.

Sorry I am babbling, it is just how the thoughts are coming out of my head, like I have opened a door and it is all spilling out.

Thank you all for you replies

x