1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on age difference

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mace, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi folks,

Hopefully somebody can help me out on this.

There is this guy I know for a couple of years now. We see/speak/text each other regularly. I must say, we get along very well, we share a lot of common interests and we have a similar look at life. In other words, he's really a nice guy.

A couple of months ago, he came out as gay. I was probably one of the few people who wasn't surprised. His coming out wasn't an easy one, but I supported him however I could. He really appreciated my efforts and I am glad I was able to help him.

Now recently, he started to send strong signals that he sees me much more than a just a friend. You could say, he started to hit on me.

I really like the guy. Perhaps I should say, I love him. Having him as my boyfriend would be a dream coming true!!!

There is however one "little" problem, and that is age difference. He's 28 and I am 44.

Now, what do you think? Could this work out? I don't want to lose him as friend, not because of a relationship which was hopeless from the start.

Any comments are appreciated!!!

Mace

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mace.

1. Age is just a number, if you connect intellectually and emotionally, go for it;
    2. My partner is 27, I am 44, it works great for us. There is no one else in this world i can think of wanting to be with.

We have had a lot of discussions about the age factor, and in the end, it works for us, and we are fine with it.

3. Sek

Sek

It's pretty hard to call.. I do believe relationships with an age gap can work out but they're tricky. If both of you were comfortable and committed for the right reasons then there of course is a chance it could work, but you can never predict the future.

When I say committed for the right reasons, I mean entering a relationship despite an age difference, not because of an age difference. I made this mistake when I was 17, with an incredibly hot 25 year old. Despite having great intimate relations, we lived in two separate worlds.

I hope it does work out for you if you do get together!!

4. KazeKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    USUK is completely correct, age is just a number.

How many years it has been since we have crawled from our mothers womb does not tell us what events have happened in our lives to help shape us as a person. Age will be unable to tell you if you make each other happy, and if you will work out. That's where your heart comes in.

So if you two are happy together, and you feel there's something real here, go for it!

5. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As the columnist Dan Savage often advises:
    You should treat a younger person in a relationship like a campsite in the forest- always leave it better than you found it.
    Although, it doesn't sound as if you would want to leave him anyway. So the question is really about risking the friendship, in hopes of finding more. I say, go for it. If you were 54 and he was 18, my advice would be different, but you two are not vastly separated in age. You are both adults. He has shown his interest. Give it a shot. Even if it doesn't work out, it's not automatic that you can't still be friends.

6. Snever2late

KazeKitten said it perfectly.

Sometimes you might have to remind yourself that he's younger, and to be patient because he doesn't have the same experience, or needs to figure things out on his own a little.

Go and be happy, don't worry about the age difference. It will work itself out!

7. Basil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always thought the "age is just a number" line is crap. Age matters in any number of ways. But 44/28 is fine. He's fully an adult. You are not so much older that you don't share common experiences or physical limitations. Go for it!

8. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The older you get, the less it matters. I am 52 and my partner is 41. Not a gigantic difference, but if I was 30 and he was 19, it might be a little weird (and not too much younger and it would be illegal too). A lot of it depends on the maturity level and motivations of the people involved. Yes, there are opportunistic people out there who want a trophy boyfriend or a sugar daddy, and yes, there are damaged people who want a surrogate parent or child. Get to know the person before you make a big emotional investment.

Despite our 11-year difference, my guy and I are very well-suited for one another, with many similar interests and attitudes, and really nothing that would make anyone think something was "off" about our relationship. I know a straight couple that is 20 years apart and I can't imagine either of them with anyone else. If it works, you usually can tell.

9. AAASAS

Don't think it could work out long term, but thats just me personally, you will be aging when he is just entering the middle of his life.

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And that is a very specific discussion I had with my partner. Eyes wide open as they say. The reality is, he has tried dating guys his age, and he is simply more mature than those of a similar age to him. Given his level of maturity, he is easily able to keep up with me.

As is relatively obvious, the gay dating scene is quite complicated. In the end, if you fall in love, run with it.

11. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Many thanks to you all. This is most helpful. And USUK is probably right. As a gay man, the odds are against you when looking for "Mr. Right".

There is however one thing I would like to add. As said, the guy concerned has gone through a difficult time, and I helped him to get over it. Although everthing turned out very much ok, couldn't it be that he confuses romantic feelings with a longing for security with his "tower of strength"?

Any thoughts on this?

Again, any comments are welcome!

Mace

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course he can, but is that any different if it were a straight couple? I don't think so. Relationships sometimes start in the weirdest ways. It's your job to determine how genuine he is being with both himself and you, and make sure your both on an equal footing relationship wise. I am sure he will be doing the same.

13. Basil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Plenty of examples of long term relationships with that age difference that work.

Could the relationship be based on confused feelings? Sure. So what. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Plenty of relationships that have everything going for them don't work out. What's the harm in trying things? This is not an irrevocable life choice.

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I don't buy the aging infirmity argument in age-relationship.

Injury, disease, or disability is a risk at any age.

Some marry despite a known bad prognosis.

Head and hearts in correct place is enough.

Tom

#14 skiff, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  15. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    I just spent the weekend with an Australian gay mens group some single and some in relationships, some of the gap were high; I think the biggest difference was 33 years old, but there were a few that were 10-20 years age difference.

Another gay friend of mine was with a guy for 20 years and they had a 13 year age difference, and he said he wouldn't have changed it for the world.

So try it; I think the biggest hurdle is going to be with yourself in trying to make it work.

You being the tower of strength with that person; is that really a problem.

Go for it.

16. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I did!! I listened to all the kind words of advice here on EC.

Maybe it's a cliché, but I have never been happier in my life. And that true for both of us. We decided to give it a chance. As people here said, what do we have to loose?

For now, we have the feeling that no mountain is too high. But that's how it is when you're in love, isn't it?!!

Reactions of people that are important to us, have been very positive. As a mutual friend said, "You two deserve each other".

Of course, some reactions were not as supportive. But then again, we have tried to please everybody for much too long!!

Again, thanks!

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an aside I noticed your age at 44 and your number of posts at 28...:grin:

The age difference is not extreme, and you are both adults. Yes you are both in the thrall of a new relationship and yes, he does see you as his "saviour", so you have properly considered those pitfalls.

The best advice I can give however, for what it's worth, is that you yourself need to completely respect his role as an equal partner in this relationship. I know you have considered this, but I can tell you that the temptation to take charge "because you are older and have seen this" will be tremendous. And this is precisely where the greatest danger to the relationship lies.

If you can be completely receptive (not necessarily accepting) of all that he proposes, including, most importantly, the little things; if you can both agree on how money will be spent (a big point of contention when one earns more than the other), if you can agree on your outside activities, and if you can respect each other's friends and family (he will no doubt come with a whole assortment of less-mature peers and you will no doubt come with an assortment of possibly judgmental/jealous ones)...then maybe it can work...the operative words being "work" and "mindfulness".

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, age isn't just a number and it does a huge disservice to people for that idea to be propagated.

Now, that said, if this were age alone, then a gap of 16 years where the younger person is 28 is a potentially manageable gap. What you do have to watch out for, here, is exactly what you pointed out: Whether he's confusing someone caring for him with genuine physical attraction.

Greatwhale has covered most of the concerns there. The important thing in the long term is that both of you are on relatively equal footing. Right now, he's just coming out and so there's a lot of emotional baggage associated with that, a lot of rediscovery and new self-awareness. It's possible you can be there to help with that and then, over time, shift the relationship to one that's more balanced, but that would be the thing you'd have to be wary of.

One of the ways to address that is to talk about it openly. The best, healthiest relationships happen where there's open, honest, vulnerable communication between the two about potential concerns, feelings, issues. That isn't easy for most couples, but it's vitally important. If you can start that process, it will make a huge long term difference in the overall health of the relationship.

19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everything Chip says to say the least. However, I think most people would understand that the comment of "age is just a number" is nothing more than a figure of speech not to be taken literally, and it's important that any relationship, regardless of age, be balanced between the intellectual and emotional compatibility of the two individuals. :kiss:

20. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I believe it can work, even though I'm 58 I relate very well with guys in their late 30's physically and emotionally.