1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Silly Ol' Pining Self...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tallu, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Tallu

Here is some of my story. It’s not terribly exciting. It’s not even a face to face encounter. But meh, it still broke my heart. Sniffle.

Over five years ago I ended my last relationship with a man, and the way things are looking…ALL men. Except for the nine years I was married I’d always been flirtatious and had a healthy sex drive, dating frequently, but I would often get bored of the sex with men after the initial thrill of the hunt had passed. I can honestly say of the numerous boyfriends of my adult life (high school and college don’t really count, we are ALL goobers then, lol) only two were decent human beings that functioned as evolved, kind, hard-working, responsible members of society. One of those was my ex husband whom I am still very good friends with. The other was a good guy who had lots of issues with his divorce that dragged on forever and ultimately he just was not ready to bring me into his kids’ lives. This was heartbreaking but I cannot deny he treated me with class and was/is a sweet person.

The others? Eesh! I have a thing for the tousled, ne’er do well creative types. The ones that are in their fifties and deliver pizzas to make the rent on their efficiency apartments and still have enough left over to get comfortably numb. Beyond that they pursue their “art” through tips on open mic night. Some had children they had not paid a dime of support to. Yeah, I sure could pick ‘em. I once had a therapist tell me I chose these men because I had a savior complex. Since I was not able to save my total drunk of a daddy I channeled my energies into lost men. There is some truth to that because my ex husband and Stevie The Super Nice Guy were both professionals that took care of their own. They showed me the way real men operate. I admire them to this day.

So over five years ago I had another totally ridiculous break up with a total loser (sorry, just no other way to describe him) and I reached my saturation point. That was it. I gave myself permission to be alone. As usual in times of trouble I turned to writing, and to my enormous joy found several online creative writing sites. Depending on how these sites are set up you can create a character and play them and interact with other writers’ characters and build stories, etc. I loved it. I was like a kid in high school again, passing off stories in the hallway to my best buddy.

It was there I met “Eve.” At the time she was in her mid-thirties and I think she is about 39 now. Although she had some major issues with grammar and spelling I could see a beautiful imagination there and we began to message each other. I have been writing for years and often help young playwrights get their short plays ready for a festival we do every year, so I was happy to edit her stuff and teach her about character development. Though to this day she is the typo queen she really did blossom as a writer and I am so proud of her.

For more than four years we chatted online and wrote stories together for hours at a time. I’m talking every freakin’ day except the rare vacations we had no computer access. Ironically, when we first started our creative journey she assumed I was a man because at that time I was writing a male character. Noooooo, it wasn’t a catfishing sort of thing. I never romanced her, but I did decide to keep my identity anonymous. It was just about the writing anyway. We talked about movies and music and safe things, but anything romantic that transpired was strictly “on paper.” We weren’t cybering or breathing heavy or making promises to each other, lol.

Then in the fourth year she began to confide in me more and more and I felt I could trust her (I’d run into some really psycho women on message boards and was terrified of internet crazies.) I also didn’t feel it right she should reveal herself to someone that wasn’t forthcoming so I introduced myself as myself, terrified I might destroy the illusion of our fictional world. But no, her only response was, “Wow, you really write a guy well!” A month or so after that I gave her all my contact information and, since we seemed to be such good friends, asked if she wanted to meet on a mini vacation sometime (she lives about 600 miles from me.)

That is when the wall came up…well, sort of. She still wanted to chat every day, wanted to write our stories, but she would not give me her contact info. I knew from years of talking to her she was single and bisexual. She had just ended a relationship with a girl when I met her online and in the years we wrote together she dated two men fairly seriously and had a few other scattered dates that went nowhere. In all these relationships when the person would get serious she would flee. She admits she has commitment issues, so I can’t blame her totally. I knew going in she was gonna break my heart.

I could not let it rest that I had revealed so much to her and gotten nothing in return. All I wanted was a regular girly friendship at this point. Girls exchange pics, right? They talk on the phone and text and take trips together. But she seemed terrified to do so. She said it was because she had shared so much of her real life in the last year, her past, her secrets. But hell, so had I. What was the problem? She finally did send me what I guess is her picture (gorgeous!) and when I went offline for several days a couple weeks ago she called my number but was afraid to leave a message. I mean…that’s silly, right? I’m this harmless, nurturing, discrete, and completely kind fifty-year-old southern belle. What did she have to be afraid of?

To fast forward, last week I was telling her about this lesbian couple I know that had a baby via artificial insemination and, though I don’t want children, I told her I really envied their sweet loving committed relationship and I wish we could have that one day…far into the future. I was tipsy and romantic, wanting to flirt and she went ice cold again. All this on instant message, mind you. She finally agreed to TALK to me on the phone and wow, she was a stone. She just kept saying, “I only want to be friends. That is all. I don’t want a relationship.” It wasn’t just the words, it was the total frigidity of it all. I had always imagined her as this sweet girl, but she sounded bitter, unfeeling. She later told me it was because she was nervous. Yeah…well, maybe….hmmmm.

You can imagine how insulting this was to me. She had never even met me and she was cutting off all possibility. Hell, I’ve never been with a woman, I don’t even know if I could do it. But I knew I loved HER and wanted to build something real, not just a bunch of made up stories on the internet. I had spent years helping her with her writing, building up her self esteem. But we had also talked about very deep things in those last couple years. She spent an inordinate amount of time online with me for it to just be a passing fancy.

So last week, I stopped the writing partnership. I don’t feel the inspiration anymore. She sees me on the writing site and asks why we can’t continue to talk and write together. It’s always baffled me how someone can reject another human being and expect business as usual. Sad thing is, I know she misses me. She said yesterday online, “This is hard for me, too.” Hah, how can be hard for her, I wonder? She is the rejecter. I’m the rejectee!

There you have it. I’m a silly old lady that developed feelings for a girl online that I will most likely never meet. Someone that, like those loser boys, also let me nurture and coddle, then pushed away any desire for commitment. Basically I kept my heart in a box for five years then got up the courage to venture out….and this happened. Sigh. I am such a doofus.

Bottom line, though, is this happened with a girl! So yeah…this is new, and is sparking all sorts of internal debate. Do I really have an attraction for women, or was I just attracted to this particular girl, this writer. Am I like Pygmalion who fell in love with his creation? Maybe so. Bottom line I got dumped. Even though she still wants contact, wants the connection to me, I got full throttle rejected. I could shake it off when I was a cute young thing. Now…notsa much.

Thank you all for reading, if you were able to make it this far. I’m just a sad, pining Tallu tonight. Bless my heart, lol.

2. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hugs to you Tallu. I wish I could offer advice but I am just starting my journey. I do not feel you are silly at all though because 4 yrs is a long time. You shared more than just writing and creating. By putting yourself out there you were the brave one. You are moving forward even though it feels like a step back.

I can relate to how you feel about your age when you said...." I could shake it off when I was a cute young thing. Now....notsa much." I feel at my age I have no time left. I feel silly even trying but I am so unhappy where I am.

Don't put your heart back in the box.
    hug

3. Tallu

Oh how sweet, and hunny, 44 is young! You stop that! Lol!

It was actually five years, or would have been this November. I'm a DOOFUS, lol! I really do feel silly because I am not one of those "Oh, even though it is the internet it is true LERV!" kind of people. I'm a realist. Least I try to be. I have no idea if she was my soul mate (ugh, I hate that term) but I do know there was a bond there that just took a'hold of my nurturing heart. The sting lies more in her not even wanting to try to get to know me. That's insulting.

Double edged sword, too. It's a stab to be rejected and a second jab to be asked to continue on as if I was not hurt. To just go on...which I have several times in the last year, only to realize things would never change. Geesh, all I wanted was a girls' trip to New Orleans. Some silly texts. Friend stuff.

Girls are poopy. LMAO! Kidding!

4. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hahaha, well 44 feels old, hahahaha.........* hops on doofus train. lol!

Yes, I too feel it is an insult especially with the amount of time spent getting to know each other. You gave it the time needed I think in my old-fashioned mind anyway. hahahaha at least your learning and wont repeat. Maybe try getting more personal info sooner but what the hell do I know. *settles into seat as conductor of doofus train. :grin:

5. Tallu

Choo-choo! Lol!

Well that is sort of a bitter irony. I vigorously kept personal lives out of our writing relationship because I wasn't looking for love in the internet. I just wanted to write and was delighted to find someone that loved the process as much as I do. The sharing of personal information came so slowly and I think she felt safe with that. I guess I rocked the boat by wanting a real friendship. The whole thing is a bit silly, really, and I am baffled that it hurt me as much as it did.

Anyhoo...life goes on.

6. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hahaha, ALL ABOARD!

see I told you I didn't now what the hell I was doing. hahahhaha

Well, you would think as slow as it went and the time invested it could be called a real friendship. I feel silly just having the thoughts I do now. Well, glad to see your trying to move on. :slight_smile:

7. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry you're hurting Tallu (*hug*). It's important to know that it WAS a real friendship. Regardless of if you've ever actually met her face to face, the amount of time you've spent together and the things that you've shared make this a real friendship. And when that time together comes to an end (for whatever reason) it hurts. You've lost someone that you spent a big part of your life talking to and sharing with.

I have met a few people face to face that I've met online. But only one that I considered to be a true friend before I met her. I happened to be at an event that was 20 miles from her town, so we had dinner. It was completely platonic, she doesn't even know I'm gay. Anyway, we have talked less and less over the last few months. Not as a result of the meeting, real life just gets in the way. And I miss her. Just because we don't physically spend time in the same room, doesn't make her any less important to me or any less of a friend.

Most of the people I meet online, I never think about meeting face to face. While the friendship doesn't mean any less to me, I just know that the distance between us generally prevents any type of meeting. And I'm okay with that. There is a possibility that she felt the same thing about her friendship with you. She probably took some comfort in the fact that she could share with you and have you not expect anything more from her than that. When you suggested meeting, she freaked out. You burst her safety bubble.

There's nothing wrong with the fact that you have romantic feelings for her. But there's also nothing wrong with the fact that she doesn't return those feelings. Why are you allowed to be upset with her for not having feelings but she's not allowed to be upset with you for having them? Rejection sucks. And while it's not fair that she expects business as usual, it's also not fair for you to think that she isn't allowed to hurt too. You lost someone that you have feelings for. She lost her friend. You both lost someone that you care about. The fact that her feelings aren't romantic doesn't mean it hurts any less. I'm not saying that to be mean, this is just how my mind works. All the freakin time. It's annoying really.

You said "all I wanted was a girls' trip to New Orleans. Some silly texts. Friend stuff." but friend stuff doesn't usually include telling someone "I really envied their sweet loving committed relationship and I wish we could have that one day…far into the future." This is a bit of conflicting information :dry: So I'm not sure what to do with it.

I know what it's like to pine for someone. I think we all do. I don't think you're inducted into the club until you fall for your straight best friend. I've never done that so I hope they don't kick me out! You sound like a sweet loving person. Don't let one person keep you from sharing that with someone who deserves it.

8. Paul6089

Paul6089 Guest

Hi. It sounds like you are both reacting. Her to being scared and you to being rejected. It's not easy being the rejected, but perhaps she did so as a self defense mechanism due to being afraid. You rejected her as a writing partner (your reaction) which hurt her as well. My advice is to give yourself a time period to rebuild the friendship. IF it's not on a good path in six months then walk away having attempted to get beyond this difficult time rather than reacting to it. Just my two cents. I hope it helps.

9. Tallu

*High fives Rainbow Socks, a fellow southern gal!*

Sigh. Yes, yes, I know I burst her safety bubble but eesh after nearly five years of daily contact you’d think any fears she might have would have been allayed. It seemed perfectly natural that we might talk on phone or text. It really stung that she didn’t want to do that because in the first year of our online acquaintance the gal’s phone burned up to the point she often left me sitting online trying to finish a chapter, waiting, waiting, waiting. I finally told her I’d come back online when she had time to write. She got the message that it was pretty rude to make me just sit there and started turning off her phone for the few hours we were able to spend on our writing. Frankly I am not much of a talker or texter, but it would have been nice to send her a silly message now and then. There were also several times she traveled and said she’d be online and wasn’t so all sorts of scenarios went through my head (in our years of contact she’d been involved in two wrecks, and I’d been in one.) I also had some pretty spooky shit happen in my rural neighborhood (arson) and it would have been nice to just call if I got scared. I was bemoaning all this to a coworker (not the crush part, lol) and she said, “Ya know, friendship is not supposed to be that hard.” That’s when it hit me. Friendship isn’t hard if you are sincerely invested. Perhaps she was invested with conditions, but dang it, I’m tired of everyone having a condition AFTER I’ve poured all this love and attention on them. Pooh on that!

Oh and, hee hee, that WAS conflicting information about what I wanted, but that night I was drankin’ and thankin’ out loud (big mistake.) I did have these happy thoughts of us taking trips because we liked a lot of the same things. I didn’t expect sex, I just wanted to tickle and hug her. Tease her with our private jokes we had. But ultimately I would have liked a long relationship, a commitment to look after each other, even if it was just two old gals on social security arguing over what dvd to watch. Somewhere along the line I went from being guarded to a complete sap. I guess she preferred me the old way. 

And yes, I know she is hurting, but I’m really not sure she is capable of the sort of affection or empathy to be bothered for very long. She has a history of dumping people and plenty of commitment issues she regularly admitted to. I have issues of my own, which is why I have not opened up to anyone for this long of a time. I thought she was worth the risk and so I took it. I do regret giving her my exclusive creative attention. There were many times she would become jealous if I was writing with another. Yes…SO high school, lol. And I’d get a little jealous, too. It was silly, but girls get emotional about odd things.

At any rate, she has deleted herself from my friends on the writing pages so I will no longer know when she is online. I asked her to do this because it’s so painful knowing she is around but the writing partnership is defunct. She of course has my private and work emails, work number, mobile. Will she use them? Of course not.

Thank you for the sweet words. Onward and upward!

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2014 at 02:49 PM ----------

Hello Paul!

Alas, we have tried to rebuild about every couple months since last November. I think once I crossed that line it just spiralled. She would pull back, I'd feel rejected, we'd nyah nyah wah wah at each other followed by the silence treatment then she'd send me an email asking to talk. I'd relent, continue to write with her but all the while I'd feel hurt and resentful. Maybe it is just time to end it. She doesn't want me that way. I have to live with that. I know she will miss me, but more as a mentor sort of thing. She can take an online creative writing class to fill that void. As for the friendship, she has plenty of other real life buddies. People that are important enough to have phone privileges and the honor of her physical presence in their lives.

Ugh! It really hurts my pride, can you tell?

#9 Tallu, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  10. Emotional love

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello - what a complex story.

The bottom line is you fell in love with a women, gradually over a number of years. She filled a void in your life and you did the same in hers. She has grown as a writer with your help and perhaps she has drawn out some of your latent inner desires.

It sucks that she didn't want to meet, if you really have helped her that much, she could have done that. Perhaps you came on too strong. Perhaps she's in a relationship and hasn't been 100% honest with you.

I think you are doing the right thing in walking away from what you had. You may be able to be friends, but you've probably gone passed that line. Be strong and move on, it's hard, but hopefully it's been a lesson learnt. How about exploring the lesbian community....

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2014 at 09:31 PM ----------

Are you a leo?

11. Tallu

Thank you, Emotional Love.

Yes, after all we shared, and I don’t just mean personal details, you would have thought she’d be excited to meet me. We loved old movies, a lot of the same music, and of course our taste in fiction was similar. :slight_smile: I probably was a bit …em…enthusiastic when I realized I was crushing. I don’t think I was creepy or anything, though. I couldn’t stalk her, I didn’t even have her number, lol! And I waited for a year after I gave her all my personal info to see if she would at least meet and see if we got along. Nothing. Nada. I don’t even know her last name. How pathetic is that?

I thought about her relationship status. I really can’t imagine her being with someone else with all the time she spent with me online. He’d/She’d have to be pretty much an absentee partner. But, heh, ya never know. I can be pretty naïve when I care about someone.

I will share the one thing last year that REALLY hurt my feelings. Her birthday was in Feb and I collected a lot of silly things to send her, including a sleep shirt with a band she liked on the front. I had to ask for her address – or any address, really, if she was that scared of horrible ol’ me – and she went stone cold again and was adamant I not get her anything. It was the rudest thing I have ever experienced. I gift my friends all the time and vice versa. Not expensive stuff, just funsies. Her reaction rattled me bad. I get teary-eyed right now just thinking about it.

As for the lesbian community, I have thought about it. I have read though that indecisiveness doesn’t go over very well. Women are so intense and I don’t want to lead anyone on or make a total ass of myself. But I am definitely considering it. Not exactly very confident in myself after this fiasco. :frowning2: I’ll get better, though.

12. Emotional love

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps she hiding something - not giving you the address. Anyways her loss. Just get out there and do what you want, bugger the indecisiveness, if people like you they like you, if they don't, well who cares. Good luck to you. I know what it's like to be lead on and rejected. It fucking hurts, but who wants to be with someone like that! Love shouldn't be difficult or have excuses.

13. Paul6089

Paul6089 Guest

It is indeed her loss and ultimately her issues came to the surface. You are probably better off. With that said it stinks to have the intensity of the heartache you are experiencing. Rest assured, it will diminish and pass and you will meet someone who'll make you feel those intense feelings of joy in real life and she will be worth it.

14. Tallu

Sigh. I hope so, ya'll. I hope so. :slight_smile:

15. bi2me

I'm sorry you are hurting. It sounds like she got scared off, or maybe she has something to hide. I guess I'd look for someone on a writing site to connect with and mentor again, and maybe you will find someone as a friend (or otherwise) to befriend.

16. stella99

I feel for you Tallu, what a complex situation. My gut feeling would be that it would be good if you two could remain friends. But I must agree her reaction to meeting up seems strange. There are a few warning bells ringing so maybe a clean break is for the best.
    But, take from this how you can feel about a woman. Expand from this experience and gain confidence to meet other women who appreciate you for being you. I would say her reaction is not normal and dont be disheartened.
    (*hug*)

17. Tallu

Thank you both. She logged onto the site for about a week after our break, but has not been back on since Friday. Normally I'd be frantic and burning up her email. I guess she is surprised I haven't done that. I just don't have the energy for weird anymore. I'm still so sad but I have to focus on my show and everyone else that is depending on me in real life. I'm sure I will miss her for a long time but enough was enough. It was starting to mess with my self esteem and that is really unfair for someone like me that spends the better part of her day babying other people, building them up. At least THEY appreciate it. *Pokes out bottom lip.*

And I am trying to write a little here and there but it will take a long, long time before I let an internet person in to that degree again. I mainly want to do my own writing for awhile. I even have a paid gig coming up. It won't make me rich but at least it's being paid for writing. Whoo-hoo!

Talk to everyone soon. I'm in the final 2.5 of rehearsals so I can't be on as much as I'd like. I appreciate you all so much!

18. DarkestDream

Hello, Tallu! :slight_smile: :smilewave
    I'm a latecomer to the convo I realize...but I just wanted to say, it's encouraging to see how you are managing this whole situation, that is to say, through all the hurt you've dealt/are dealing with, you get on with what you love in life. Thank you for sharing what you're going through, and may you be blessed as you continue on with your work! :slight_smile:

19. Tallu

Thank you, DarkestDream. With my schedule never had much time to wallow, which I suppose is a good thing. I'm always wrapping my noggin around something creative, and I love the internet writing thing because it relaxes me in a strange way. I can also have a glass of wine and stay in my bathrobe (a rarity with my long work hours.) Apparently she felt the same way about the writing (just not about me.) Ah well, she was a sweet, childlike, mysterious presence in my life for several years. I loved the long hours of creating stories and I know I helped her improve. One of the last things she said was that she would continue writing, but just on her own in her journals. That makes me happy. I think she needs witing to fight whatever demons she has. And I know there has to be some inner turmoil there, but since she did not want to let me into that part of her real life, to nurture her as a real friend, there is nothing else I can do. I gotta take care of Tallu!

#19 Tallu, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  20. Snever2late

Hi Tallu! I'm sorry I missed this post earlier, I have been waiting for you to give us your story, I just didn't look hard enough!

Five years is such a long time :-/ I can't imagine having gone through that for so long, only to be crushed. I know just in the past six months I've managed to build up all these dreams and fantasies about things that my "crush" and I could do together, and how much it hurts to have to let go of those possibilities. Having been involved for so long, and in such an intimate way as writing together...I can see how painful it would be for you.

I don't think it matters whether or not you meet face to face, or talk, or anything. Sometimes it's more real when you are getting to know someone at an emotional and soul deep level without the physicality to cloud your judgement. That kind of connection is special, and I know that for me I miss that aspect more than anything else. Like the day to day normalcy of just hearing about her life, or engaging in normal conversation. You were right to make a move towards getting to know one another better after such a long time, particularly feeling what you were feeling.

I've been thinking about this a lot and this is what I've decided. You can't regret or be ashamed of anything if you were being real. If sharing your true feelings and taking that risk didn't work out, then it's a lesson learned and it clears the way for something else, or it's just not the right time. But if you pretended not to feel that way, or were fake about your intentions, you might end up regretting not ever knowing what could have been and ultimately be even more unhappy. In my situation, I was 100% real, completely open and myself the entire time. I take comfort in the fact that I wouldn't change a thing about my behavior, only in the outcome. So whatever reason these girls have for reacting the way they choose to react...that's on them. It sucks to be lonely, and to not have that connection you've grown attached to, but it's their fault. And ultimately I believe, in both situations, they will come to regret and ask their what ifs. Because they're just too scared to be real. Getting burned hurts, but at least you're taking risks and rocking the boat, and that's what living is about. Maybe she was just getting you ready for your next relationship.

The important thing is that you know you're terrific, you know you're worth more and deserve so much more than that. It's good that you're too busy to wallow in that initial pain, and once you settle down, I hope it hurts a little less. Don't doubt that she had intense feelings for you, as has been said, maybe she's scared to let herself feel that way for people outside of the virtual world. You entering that space would require her to allow herself the freedom to do that. But the coldness hurts. So badly. The rejection, even of just the most innocent olive branches or gifts to show appreciation, sting. I know that you know how sweet and nurturing you have been, and you have a right to feel how you're feeling. Someday I believe you'll find someone who is worth it, and will treat you with the same openness, love, generosity and respect that you deserve. (*hug*)