1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story (in progess)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by aboutface, Oct 14, 2014.

1. aboutface

Hello. I'm new to the site. I spent multiple hours today just reading threads in here, and decided it might be beneficial if I were to try to express where I am at this moment, and a bit about how I got here, into written words. Sorry in advance for how long this will be.

I am 31 years old. I am not out to anyone. I have not even had any clarity within myself until fairly recently. This has actually been a slow and subtle process which I find hard to put into words. I think on some almost subconscious level I've known I was gay for quite some time, but for most of that time I was unwilling or unable to acknowledge this to myself.

Since early teenage years I've clearly had more physical attraction to men than women. However, being raised in a christian household and in a conservative environment, I think it became internalized within me since the beginning that being openly gay was not a realistic option, and so I proceeded as such. When alone (and, often, with an internet connection), I would allow this side of myself to manifest itself. All other times, it was compartmentalized and shoved down and away from outside view. I imagine somewhere along the way a third party may have caught a roving eye of mine in public and made a correct assumption, but I tried to control even this, and more than that, ignore this side of myself entirely whenever anyone might be watching.

Maybe the best way to explain things, deep down there's always been a small voice that would only come up unexpectedly in quiet moments and whisper "hey, you're gay." For a long time my answer to this voice was "no. I'm not. Go away." I think gradually through maybe mid to late twenties, the outright denial slowly dropped out of my response, and it just became "shut up, go away". Dropping the denial meant something, but I wasn't ready to admit it. Then there was one time that sticks out a couple years ago, when the voice popped up again for no reason, and my response to myself was actually "yeah, I guess so." I was floored, like this was a totally new revelation, only on a deeper level it wasn't. Admitting it more openly within my own mind was certainly new. Even so, I was not ready to do anything with this information, so I basically shoved it aside and ignored it, as I was quite experienced at doing.

I have only even been in one relationship that could be classified as remotely serious. This was when I was a freshman in college and 18/19. The girl was the one who pursued me and I basically went along with it for a while, 6 months in total. I was supposed to want this type of relationship, so I convinced myself for a bit that I did, but eventually realized that it wasn't going to go anywhere and broke it off.

Since then (over a decade now, wow), I have been single. I made halfhearted attempts at looking for relationships with women, but never really pursued or followed through. Looking back, I think the reason, honestly, even more than the indifference (which played a part I'm sure), and even though I could not even openly express it to myself, was that I sensed it wasn't really fair to the women. I've read some say they honestly didn't realize they were gay for a long time, and I certainly believe them, I think for me this was never really the case. I always knew on some level (at least since the age when I was anything), it was just deeply and expertly suppressed.

This is already silly long. That kind of brings things up to just recently. Putting it into words like this is helping to get a bit of clarity I'm not sure I had before. I have more, but I'm going to split it into 2 parts I think.

2. Paul6089

Paul6089 Guest

Thank you for sharing. I will look forward to part two.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. Your comments are well understood by many on EC whom have been through similar experiences. You will find a lot of support as you continue to progress on the journey you have begun.

You have taken a giant leap by no longer ignoring it, and you are in a strong position to continue to work through your own identity. We are all here to help.

4. aboutface

Part 2! I had no idea I had this much to say!

Anyways, one of the halfhearted attempts I mentioned about looking for hetero relationships was this free online dating site. I was a man, looking for a woman. Because that's what I was supposed to be. I occasionally exchanged messages but never followed through to meet anyone. This account is still open and active. I would occasionally but infrequently look through profiles, or even rework my own.

This brings me to this past weekend. I received some message on this site, which always sends an email notification. I log in to read it, because curiosity, but I think it just said something like "hi, how are you?" and the profile was also not intriguing from a romantic potential standpoint, like most women's to me, because, well, yeah.

But then I did something I think I had done just once before. I logged out, and did a general search that anyone who doesn't even have an account can do, typed in my zip code, and changed the "seeking" tab to men. I'm not sure why I did this, either the first time, or this time, I just did. The first time (months ago, I barely remember it) was a nothing experience, just a time killer which I pushed aside after a bit of not seeing anything interesting.

But this time, lo and behold there was a profile that caught my attention. I don't want to sound too silly or creepy going from just a few pictures and a paragraph, but my goodness, I could see it. It, being nothing more than a possibility, and fully aware that all I really had was the idea of a person suggested by a few clear and well worded sentences that expressed values and desires similar to mine, not an actual person. I was basically simultaneously hit with a desire to reach out to this person, the realization that, at present, that just didn't make much sense.

I don't want to overemphasize this one profile on an online dating site, but it was really more of a catalyst that got me thinking more deeply about something I have basically refused to ever think deeply about. I have been living what is essentially an outwardly asexual life, to be continued on into an indeterminate future. This is what I have, consciously or not, settled upon as my 'solution' in life.

But is that fair to myself? Is that an acceptable solution? Am I really ok with that? I have come to realize in the last few days that, no, that is not fair. It is not acceptable. I am not ok with that.

So that pretty much brings things up to now. A google search eventually landed me on this forum. I read things for a while. I registered. I typed a lot more than I expected to into two posts. I just finished typing this sentence. :icon_bigg

The part that comes next scares the hell out of me.

5. LittleLionGirl

Hi Aboutface! Welcome, thanks for doing all that typing and congratulations. You've made a giant leap. As someone who had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was asexual, for years, as scary as the idea of being gay seemed, it also offered a pretty significant share of hope. And that was something I had almost given up on ever feeling again.

Since then, I have begun to feel all sorts of things I never thought I'd experience. Things I had even begun to doubt truly existed. How incredible to discover that they really do exist and there's no reason I can't experience them too.

Maybe now that you've opened your eyes to new possibilities, you'll get to discover them too. Welcome to EC, welcome to a world with hope.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having a Catalyst moment, which is seems like you just had with the dating site search, is not that uncommon. About half a year before I came out to myself, I was on a business trip. After a day of meetings, I went to a bar next to my hotel. While sitting having a drink, a guy at the table next to me started striking up a casual conversation with me. A few drinks in, and his arms were wrapped around me. I was not prepared for the feelings this brought about and I left the bar quite quickly. Although I left, I found the excitement that went through me to be unbelievably intense, like I got struck by lightening. It was as if I had awaken from a long sleep. That began my journey which culminated with the realization that I was gay.

7. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome to EC!

So much to relate to...

I wondered about being gay occassionally only to push it very far away as quick as I could. I also thought that maybe I was asexual or that I wasn't that into men because of some bad experiences.

I saw people around me desperately looking for someone and wondered why? I was fine on my own and althought I knew some nice guys I never felt too inclined to really give it a try and the few times they were interested I panicked more than anything else.... I didn't understand it: here I was finally getting a bit of attention only to want it to go away again...

I also wondered if I was strange... like very cold or a zombie or something, since I didn't seen to fall in love often and I didn't really see the appeal much either. So I must be made of ice... but I knew I was sensitive too, so why was I so indifferent on the whole dating/marriage thing?

And then, just like you (the OP) describes one day it fell into place. I was gay after all...
    and because I had been doubting the more anti-gay stuff in my religion and environment for a while, it wasn't as negative or devastating a realization as I thought it would be. In fact, rather the opposite. It gave me a sense of freedom and a feeling that I was able of having romantic feelings after all and maybe in time a relationship too.

It also gave me a very different perspective on my history: suddenly a lot of memories made a lot more sense:

- defending other girls against negative remarks made by boys (and they were not amused by my action) or always offering to help them
    - being enthralled by a belly dancer, ballerina, or figure skater.
    -feeling that my feelings for my friends were more intense than the other way around (I always figured it was due to loneliness on my part)
    - jealousy of guys they were dating (rather than thinking I wanted to have such a relationship with them I thought that I wanted a boyfriend too, though not him) etc. etc.

So much confusion that got cleared up after I began to think of personal experiences in that light...

I hope you'll become even more comfortable in your own skin and will go on a journey into knowing yourself better and experimenting with this part of yourself. I agree with you that it is not fair to be/stay alone, not without having tried anyway. There is no reason why we should condemn ourselves to being alone beforehand.

It petrifies me too. I'm contemplating the idea of going to a gay venue sometime in the next month or so for the very first time... It scares me so much! But at the same time I have some hope of meeting like-minded people and being able to communicate in real-life in a similar way to here on EC.

I hope that for both of us, the self-chosen isolation will not have to continue :slight_smile: (*hug*)

8. Soraiah

Out Status:
    All but family
    This was my complete thought process verbatim when questioning my feelings about women and accepting my sexuality. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Thank you ^.^

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A "catalyst moment"....I like that. Sounds more intense and less silly than what I usually call it (a "Helen Keller at the pump" moment!).

I had plenty of clues that I was gay, and I certainly knew I was attracted to guys. But being the oldest child AND the oldest grandchild in a massive extended Catholic family where everyone was married and had a couple kids by age 25, just being adult and single was unknown, and announcing I was gay would have been like announcing I was really adopted and my ethnic heritage was half Eskimo and half Martian. It wasn't that being gay was unacceptable. It wasn't even remotely possible.

I had a number of factors that fed into the decision to start coming out in my early 50's, but my catalyst was a guy that I met as part of the religious education program at our church. He was friendly, cute, personable and extremely physically friendly. I wondered for a long time if he might be closeted as well and have finally come to the conclusion that he almost certainly isn't, but having an attractive man frequently be friendly with me, and touch my arm, my back, and compliment me on my musical skills, caused all those feelings that were hidden deep in the cold water of my closeted soul to break through to the surface and take a deep breath of air.

"What comes next" IS scary--it was for me too--but I can tell you that the peace and clarity and self-worth that has begun to come out of all the confusion and fear is more than worth it. And there's no rush. Coming out isn't a race to be run. I'm nearing the 2 year mark of telling my first person, and just passed the 1-year mark of telling my wife. It's your journey and you only need to do what you're capable of doing. I can promise you that in the end, though, you will be in a better, happier place. Good luck!

JToivonen likes this.
  10. clovis

I think that for many of us the we have those catalyst moments that finally propel us to self realization. I had mine about 2 months ago... met a guy online... started chatting... and then Skype... then holy hell... what is going on in my mind... I always knew that I had those feelings... but this was something more. I have been married for 18 years... and fairly happy. But this guy has just turned my life upside down. Now nothing has happened and honestly we are just friends... but it was something inside of me that was just waiting for the right time and the right reason to come to the forefront. And its here... I felt a sense of relief of finally being honest with myself, I told a Lesbian friend that I was gay... hardest three words I have ever said. But it made it more real, those words actually came out of my mouth. You have just started the journey... I wish you all the luck in the world... and if you ever need someone to talk to I am here.

JToivonen likes this.
  11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, upon rereading my post, I do want to clarify, my catalyst moment did not help me realize I was gay, it helped me start the process of accepting that I was gay.........

12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People who are repeatedly told by society that how they feel about themselves is "wrong" tend to be asexual in their behavior for long into their adulthood. You know now that there is nothing "wrong" about you, just that you are different from the mainstream. So, go out and do something which is "right" for a gay man, and find another gay man to love. You are not asexual, you have just been acting asexually; now act like who you really are.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being a chemist, I like the terms "catalyst" and "crystallization" as they apply to this whole coming out to oneself. Also applicable are words like "sublimation", "volatility", "chemistry" and "reactions"...all of these suggest a sudden flash of recognition, acceptance, and ultimately, peace.

I particularly like the term sublimation, which technically means a solid that goes directly to being a gas without passing through the liquid stage (dry ice is the classic example).

Sublimation in this context however, is an elevation of sorts into a different realm, a higher register in the natural scale; creation of something new, seemingly out of nothing...This is how I think of the new self that I became; a new understanding born of acceptance and the letting go of illusions...nothing less than a metamorphosis...

14. aboutface

I want to thank everyone who has responded so much. I'm trying to take in every bit of insight and support that is being offered. It means a lot to me.

I'm going to respond to a few specific things here and there that I have more to say about.

I certainly relate to this. I've found that apparently I've mostly already worked through my own feelings on the matter of being gay, even while not being able to acknowledge to myself my own personal connection. I've gradually questioned and then rejected the views many christians have about being gay despite being raised and continuing to exist in that environment, and luckily at this point I seem to have come to a place where the actual full fledged realization that I am gay no longer carries the intense negative personal convictions with it that it would have when I was younger. I'm ok with it. It is truth. The truth is not shameful or wrong or bad. There are people I love and respect and care about that I think are very likely to tell me otherwise. They are wrong.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2014 at 12:00 PM ----------

I was raised in protestant, not Catholic, environment, but the effect was similar. I internalized early on that, like you said, being gay wasn't even a possibility. This was just a given, an assumption long held and not questioned.

It's amazing the extent of the mental hoops and cognitive dissonance this assumption made necessary and possible. I think slowly over time as I sort of outlined, my subconscious slowly eroded an eventually toppled this assumption. It wasn't even anything I felt capable of addressing on a more direct level for so long.

15. brightside80

Wow... Aboutface. I really resonate with your story. Thank you for sharing it. I'm also i'm in my early 30's.

I too come from a very conservative Christian background. Until recently I haven't reconciled my faith with my orientation (I'm bi.)

I too am outwardly asexual. I haven't really dated many girls, but I think part of the reason for that now is because I want them to know I am bisexual, more than the fact that I am not attracted to women. That being said, in the last little while I've started to see myself with men and women.

I did start online dating as well, but only have met 1 guy online. Part of me wants to find someone who has similar values and isn't too out there. I don't know... I'm rambling..

YOU ARE NOT rambling...but I am so thankful for you sharing your story. Sometimes in life we believe we are the only ones going through something but so many of us are going through very similar things. THANKS FOR YOUR BRAVERY!

Have you been okay with your faith and sexuality? If not, I have read a couple of things that have helped me in my faith journey and could make some reccommendations. The one thing for me that has been sad is seeing how many people tend to abandon their faith because they are unable to reconcile their sexuality with their faith.

JToivonen likes this.
  16. aboutface

I would be interested to read a couple things like that.

17. bi2me

Welcome to EC! As you've probably noticed, folks are very friendly and helpful here. I'm glad you are starting to come to terms with what you've known for a while. I think sometimes these lightening bolts happen for a reason and can leave you a more whole person after the dust clears.

18. brightside80

Aboutface... a book that I read that I highly reccomend is "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Evangelicals vs. Gay Debate" by Justin Lee. He also started a website called Gay Christians --- look it up!

Another book that is good is by Matthew Vines (I haven't read it yet, but have heard really good things about it) God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case in Support of Same-Sex Relationships by Matthew Vines. He also had a video that is really good: The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality - YouTube it's an hour long but what projected him into the spotlight!

I hope this helps you on your journey... in fact if you do buy the one by Justin Lee, I would love to chat more with you about it. You can simply post on my wall about it. But it's more a memoir and a conversation starter... I found myself saying many times>>>> THAT"S ME!! coming from a religious background I think you might appreciate it.

19. aboutface

I was mildly shocked to look and see my original post was only like 48 hours ago. Feels longer. This writing stuff out is really proving a great help so I believe I'll continue.

Thank you brightside. Those are definitely resources I'll try to check out. If I'm being honest, I've been having some own personal faith issues for a while and they aren't just limited to sexuality. I actually briefly tried earlier to expound on that and it was all so garbled in my own head I couldn't really. It's all something I'll need to continue to work through. This song is maybe a good approximation of where I am without getting too specific:Nickel Creek - Doubting Thomas - YouTube

Where I do have clarity though is that being gay is not something that is wrong with me. It is not shameful. I do not need to repent or seek forgiveness. It is just a part of who I am.

It's weird, I feel like the normal order of things should be to realize (or admit) you're gay first, then try to work through these issues that come from upbringing and environment which were clearly deeply rooted. It probably is the way it goes for most people. Somehow I've managed to slowly work through these issues first, slowly over years and often barely even noticing, and usually in the third person and not even really (or fully) realizing it was also about myself, and only once those issues were pretty much dealt with was that "I'm not gay" wall able to be toppled. The mind is a crazy weird thing sometimes.

I have not yet come out to anyone. I have little moments where I fear I just won't and I'll just return back to the status quo. Knowing myself it seems like something I wouldn't find that hard to do. I've been so good at living that way for so long. But actually I don't think that will happen. When I think about it more just continuing to keep things the same way they've been would somehow be really hard to do. This is something I'm just going to have to insist on from myself.

I have to come out to my family. There is no dad in the picture (deceased), so the biggest one is my mom. We are actually very close and have what I would consider to be a really good relationship. She mostly raised me as a single parent and I've always been a bit of a momma's boy. But she's also a woman of deep faith and I'm just not sure how she'll react. The thought of her not taking it well and it causing a significant rift between us is just utterly terrifying. "Utterly terrifying" are not strong enough words. It stops me cold.

But she deserves and needs to know. She raised me to become a person who values things like honesty and integrity and the truth. These are the things that are compelling me to move forward.

It won't be tomorrow though. I still need some time.

20. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    aboutface take the time that you need as there is no timetable for coming out, it's your choice when and to whom you come out to.