1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting the cart before the horse

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Perplexed1979, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Perplexed1979

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've yet to come to a conclusion about what my orientation is. However i have started telling my close friends, about 10, that i am going through a very bad time and that I am distressed over my sexuality. I started to do this because i recently ended a short but intense relationship and people were very curious about why we didn't try to get back together.
    It's being kinda liberating to do this and everyone has been supportive and very kind. The one friend who had, in the past, expressed some homophobic comments was very supportive and I was very emotional after telling him. I still have to go through the hard part which is accepting myself for who i am. But it feels like a start.

2. clovis

Good for you... you have to start somewhere... there is nowhere to go but forward from here.. .Congrats.

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there's a "Later in Life Coming Out Handbook", I managed to miss it somehow! The only real rule seems to be to keep moving until you figure out where you're going. Whatever conclusions you come to, however you end up telling people, whatever timetable you have, you'll do it in the way that seems the most logical to you. Use someone else's experience as a model and you'll get frustrated and down on yourself (ask me how I know). This is about figuring out who you are and being comfortable with yourself, so be comfortable HOW you do it too.

4. lion12

Congratulations! You've made a big step (that I haven't had the courage to take yet) so you should be proud of yourself. It really is a start and I can only wish you the best for all that's yet to come!

5. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :thumbsup: Wow, so very proud of you! :eusa_clap You may not feel like it but it took great courage to share your heart with your friends. Embracing the new part of you just takes time... I actually sat down and had a conversation with myself and came out to myself (on paper and voice). A bit loony but it was worked for me :lol:

6. Perplexed1979

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for all your kind responses. I appreciate it.

7. BiPenguin

Good on you. These initial barriers are so hard to push through.