1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it like?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BiohazardBanana, Oct 20, 2014.

1. BiohazardBanana

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So this has been a big concern of mine lately... Aside from the ones on TV, I rarely see adult LGBT people... I mean, I know a gay couple that owns a pizza place, but that's about it. It kinda worries me that finally coming to terms with the fact I'm a girl after about a year was for nothing... Am I going to grow out of it? And if not, how much is it actually going to affect my life? Is being transgender and (possibly) bisexual going to cause any kind of problem? Just a little question for those who know the answers. I know you won't be able to tell if I'll grow out of it, as that's unpredictable, but what of the rest? Will it matter? >~<'

2. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    BiohazardBanana thanks so much for sharing your questions with us here at EC. I'll be honest I don't have any personal experience about your exact life situation. But I do know what it is to struggle with self identity and the pain, anguish and joy that it can bring. When you said "finally coming to terms with the fact I'm a girl after about a year was for nothing..." the thought came to mind that IT IS worth something. You matter, your journey matters

I wish you all the best and know that there will be someone here that can help better than I.

[​IMG]

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    Am I Transgender or Transsexual - Teens Wonder Am I Transgender or Transsexual
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony.../147192-transitioning-where-do-i-start.html#4

The tg spectrum goes i.e. from people living with almost androgynous appearance, to styling more like the preferred gender, to taking hormones, etc.
    Of course the list is not all possible options.
    It's up to you to collect further information...
    You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want.

I would do things I'm comfortable with, don't feel pressured to do something... its your decision...
    There is no only one right way to do this.
    Its your choice what you want to do...

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm actually a snotty-nosed brat, but I have answers to offer. Are they right? Maybe, maybe not, but:

Depends if this is a phase. Most likely, it's not.

As much as you want it to. If you want to tell everyone, it's your choice, and so is keeping it to yourself. Neither is better than the other, and keeping it to yourself does not mean you're hiding. No one's going to know what your favorite color is right off the bat, would they?

However, unless you live in an area where discrimination against trans(*) people is illegal, you may have difficulty in finding a job. Why? Because people are shitty ass fucks, if you'll excuse my language. I don't know how old you are, but hopefully, when the time comes to find a job, you won't have to deal with such bullshit.

See what I said about job discrimination above. As for being bisexual, unless you are openly out or you are outed by someone else in a homophobic area or an area with homophobic people, you may get harassed. So be careful.

That's all I have to say, plus one more thing:

It does matter because you matter. Being trans and bi, even if you consider them an unimportant part of you, is still a part of you. They make up who you are, and even if you do grow out of it, which, in many cases, you don't, who you become will still be as much as you as you are right now.

Don't be afraid to change, but don't be afraid to stay the same, either. We're all here to support you, regardless if you're trans(*), cis, bi, gay, or straight.

#4 Nychthemeron, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  5. BiohazardBanana

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry it took me so long to respond to respond. It really means a lot that you guys took the time to respond. These answers gave me a little bit of relief, honestly. It's been on my mind a lot and knowing someone else doesn't think it's a phase was a real weight off my back. Not to mention the support! Thanks you guys. ^-^