1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Resorts / Guest Houses

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Oct 23, 2014.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After coming out to myself, I went on a massive journey to understand the gay community and culture. Whether it was understanding the Gay Scene (bars, clubs, Saunas, etc), dating/social Apps (probably have downloaded just about all of them), Gay specific health issues and considerations (STD's, HIV - getting tested for the first time), community organizations (Charities, social groups, arts, theater, etc), gay forums (a plug for EC of course), or traveling for the gay tourist.

Along the way I had one relatively long relationship with an unfortunate messy ending, a period of self exploring through hooking up and "seeing the world" as I like to say it (seriously, really often, with more visits to the clinic than I care to remember - and that was even though I was "safe" each time), then landing in my current relationship with the person that has become the love of my life ( and where we are now engaged :kiss:).

Of all the gay specific experiences that I searched out, delved into, participated in, and explored, the one that I have found I really enjoy the most (aside from my Fiancé), is visiting gay resorts / guests house. Here, I am not referring to gay friendly lodging, but instead places to stay specifically geared to LGBT. Maybe this is because I am LGBT later in life, but the other avenues of gay interest for one reason or another just never really grabbed my permanent attention.

I have been to places in Provincetown, Key West, Ft Lauderdale, the caribbean (yes I found one that came pretty close there given the proprietors were gay) and the UK. And while they have all been different, I have found the level of personal comfort while staying at these establishments are unparalleled when compared to staying at a traditional hotel (and, no, I am not going to these places in order to "hook up", but simply to relax and have a bit of a holiday). I have been to gay only places, Gay and lesbian places, Gay but hetero friendly places, clothing optional places, and in just about all instances, the people are typically warm, friendly and engaging (whether the place is on the traditional side or more focused on the Scene).

There seems to be an ability to bond and make relationships with others when staying at such establishments which for some reason does not occur by simply heading down to the local gay oriented bar, club or restaurant.

Curious if others have had similar experiences?

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I assume same reason ethnic communities of immigrants pop up.

Similar is comfy and accepting.

Tom

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have generally found smaller gay hotels/guest houses/B&Bs when we travel and we have found them to be very similar to how you describe--both really exceptional service (really like you are being invited into someone's home) and other travelers (even the straight ones in largely gay hotels--in our experience such people are almost always European) who are so much more willing to interact and frankly just more interesting. We've staid in them in such places as New York, San Francisco, Ft. Lauderdale, Oklahoma City (of all places), New Orleans, Puerto Vallarta and always had truly exceptional experiences. I definitely recommend it and we pretty much always find them when we travel.

4. flatlander48

I've stayed in 2 establishments that were gay-owned and were marketed heavily to the tribe, but did not turn away straight clientele. One was in Key West and the other in Ogunquit. I think the difference is that they know that they cannot count on business clientele like regular and chain hotels. I suspect that the majority of the people staying at those establishments are traveling for pleasure. When that is the situation, many times the staff will go out of their way to make for a very nice experience and people remember. I think gay folks tend to be loyal to products and services when people are really trying to treat them well.