1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by lb41974, Nov 5, 2014.

1. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well seen my new therapist today .It went better than I thought it was going to go . Got me to thinking and did something that now I see as a bad idea :frowning2: . She kept after me to tell her what we talked about and I did not really want to tell her anything but I finally gave in and it all went to poo poo !!! I told her that I do love her but I am not in love with her and the look she gave me made me want to die right there on the spot .She started crying and scream that I hated her and how nasty she looked and fat she was .I tried to tell her that's not true but that did no good at all . They she got started on my best friend again and asked me if I was still in love with him I could lie to her but I did not want to hurt her so I changed the subject and that did not work she made me tell her . I said yes I am still in love with him. He came the tears again she said I knew you cheated with him. I said NO I DID NOT ! I told her that yes I would have sex with him if I had the chance but I would never do that to her because I respect her and our marriage to much to do that . She did not understand what I meant ,I said basically yes I would have sex with him but I don't trust my self to stay faithful so I am not ever I mean EVER going to be alone with him because I can't cheat on you .So she has been in the bathroom now for about 6 hours crying .I have been here on my computer trying to talk to him via a letter I want to send him ,I am listening to his and my favorite song it is crazy for you by Madonna over and over over crying and hating my self for feeling like this .I don't understand why I feel like this all I know is that it hurts so bad every time I think of him and how I can t hold him in my arms and be part of his life again like when we were kids .We have never been sexual with each other just been there for each other . I want him to be in my life and I want to be in his!! Please can anyone tell me what the F*** is wrong with me and why does this hurt so bad

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well for starters your wife is being pretty manipulative. That tends to hurt.

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know she is being hard on me .I just don't want to fight anymore and that's all she wants to do she keeps telling me to make a decision and I can t do that just yet I am trying my best to figure things out .If I would have know it was going to be like this I would have never started it

4. Tallu

The dialogue needed to start sometime. Her reaction is natural. She wants to blame the situation on other things - her looks, weight or some other factor - because on some level maybe she feels like she failed you, too. If she has always had an inkling about this best friend that has had to have eroded her confidence, and it is sad in a way because there was nothing she could do, even if she looked like a goddess, to change the reality of being married to a gay man. All her irrational demands, the crying in the bathroom, the eventual threats that will inevitably transpire...be patient and forgiving. She has to go through all the steps, almost like a death: shock, anger, fear, denial...It's going to be really, really hard for some time now.

My heart breaks for you sitting there alone at your computer. I know you are scared and torn up. I felt that way when I initiated my own divorce many years ago. Cut yourself some slack. You've made a first step. Now just push the next foot forward like an unsteady toddler. Every inch is progress.

Keep us posted. So many here care and understand.

Tallu

5. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thank you so much for all the support !

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a situation that is bound to hurt and it will test you a lot, I'm sorry to say, but you need to focus on the ultimate reality of who you are and so does your wife. You have been through a long personal process of questioning who you are - for the most part suffering in silence. Your endurance has been tested but you have finally accepted what has been concealed for so long. Your wife also needs to reach a point of acceptance and it will take her time. Right now, she is shell-shocked, grieving and resorting to self reflection (be it for real or more spurious motives). Only she can deal with her feelings though and in order to that, she needs to confront her own set of difficult questions. At this stage she may not be ready or willing to do that, but the time will come when she must face reality.

I think you've realised that it was a mistake to dicuss the conversations with your therapist and I'm sure you will not do it again. I think it's best for you to see the relationship with your therapist as private and confidential.

I haven't been through this sort of situation and I'm certain other members are more apt to comment and advise, but know that I am thinking of you and willing you to dig deep and hang in there.

Stay with us. We care. (*hug*)

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It IS terribly manipulative of her to behave that way. Turning the conversation around to all of HER "faults" is a classic way to control the situation by taking focus away from the real subject and forcing you to comfort her about something else entirely. It totally puts you off balance. My wife does it all the time. You will build up an immunity to it after awhile, but it's very tough at first. If I were watching our recent conversations as an outsider, I might actually be amused watching her try all the old tactics one by one--the self-bashing, the anger, the insults, the tears--because they just don't work on me anymore. Be as strong as you can, lb. Her behaviors aren't likely to change, but once you start to understand what she's doing, you will be able to tone down your own gut reactions to them.

Part of this process will be gaining strength, not only about being gay, but about standing up for yourself as a person, and learning how to put things into a healthier perspective. You will learn how to recognize when you're being manipulated, and how to avoid the standard reactions that you've had for years, that keep you in that bad place. And you'll come to realize that your feelings matter too. When you're in the closet for years, decades, on end, you shut out a lot more than just being gay. You shut down and bury your own feelings and sense of worth and your ability to see that you may well be absolutely nothing resembling an equal partner in the relationship.

You're NOT a bad person. You're a good person who isn't used to thinking of yourself as anything at all. A bad person wouldn't be concerned about her or feel guilty and sad about her reactions, and a bad person wouldn't be feeling sad or confused about the situation. You will have some struggles ahead, probably for a long time. Some of my wife's behaviors are very similar to yours, and it took me many months before I was able to put it into a healthy perspective--but I WAS finally able to do it. Keep moving forward and think of where you want to be in 6 months, a year, 5 years.

Going through this is absolute hell, but it can be done. I look back to where I was right after I came out to my wife (Labor Day weekend of last year), and I remember many months of misery while feeling like nothing was getting any better, but now I realize that I was making slow baby steps of progress all along. I just never recognized it because I was in the middle of it. You'll discover 6 months or a year from now that you've been gaining strength and self-worth all along, and you'll be amazed and proud of your progress. It's just not a very pleasant thing to be in the middle of. (*hug*)

8. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    lb41974 I'm proud of you for coming out 10/24/14 and know it must have been a very hard thing to do. I admire your courage!! You are stronger than you think and I'm sure you'll be able to move forward. Please heed the advice of the other writers as they make a lot of sense. And I agree in time you'll look back to see how far you've come.

9. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't wait until Monday afternoon . I have another session with the therapist . I am doing better I think I am coming to terms with what I need to do with regards to my old friend ! I have to finally decided to let him go and move on . I am never going to be able to trust my self with him and that means I can not ever be with him at all so I am going to sever all ties with him including friendship .I have no choice at this point in time . This is going to hard to deal with but it must be done. Update with the home life goes like this , the youngest tells me that she does not care if I stay or leave it will not concern her either way ! The oldest says that she will support me in what ever choice I make . The wife says that if I leave that she will never talk to me again and have no contact no matter what happens , it is my choice but she is still trying so hard to make things work between us . It makes me feel bad that I can't make the decision just like that ! I told her that I really want to go but I feel that I have to stay because I don't think she can make the bills . I told her that I am missing something in my life and I think I know what it is now . I need male companionship I really do feel this way . She says that is something she is not will to share me with meaning I can 't go out and get some and then come back home to her . I can't ask her to do that either that would be wrong! I am having more good days than bad but I am still having the bad ones .:frowning2: Any thoughts I am willing to listen .

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

First of all, let me congratulate you on coming out. You are courageous. I'm not there yet, so I don't know that I'm anyone to offer advice. But my heart is breaking as I read your story. Maybe because your wife sounds a lot like mine, that I can really feel what it's like to be in your house right now. Twice we have been as close to splitting as you are, maybe closer, and that without her knowing I'm gay. It would really help in that situation to have a gay friend to talk with. It is so painful. It sounds like both of you know what the situation is, what yoyr orientation is, but that you're the one who is forced to make a decision, in the face of a threat if you leave. Maybe it's worth reflecting and projecting what your life will be like if you stay in a year, 5, 10, 20 years. For me, being gay just don't go away, and staying has become harder not easier.

11. tomthumb2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow you are so brave my friend! Hang in there and hopefully these dark days will pass quickly. I'm no expert but it sounds like maybe the worst part (coming out) is over? Cheering for you from the closet!

12. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the kind words yes it is hard! I won't lie to you this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do and if given the chance I may not do it again . But I want to say thanks to everyone here at EC you all have be the best and I could not ask for better friends and support!

13. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just have the feeling that your wife is not a person you should be around, no matter what you do about your best friend. The way she is jerking you around when you are trying to be honest and open and caring is scary. You have to decide how you want to run your life, but if I were being treated that way, I would RUN for my life, away from the mentally abusive relationship you have described. Just my gut reaction; yours may be entirely different and is the one that matters.

14. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish you all the best in your journey. It is not an easy one, your wife sounds like mine, although, if mine knew that I'm gay, I think that she would be the one kicking me out of the house, she'll not stand looking at me! But you're right, you cannot ask your wife to withstand your needs while you are still living together within the same family under the same roof. I'm glad that your kids are understanding though, I think that this is very assuring. As for the wife who is being manipulative, I feel like she is not thinking about you, it is more about her now than anyone else. Did she ever asked what would be best for you? the way you're describing, her reactions are more oriented towards her image more than you or than what you feel .. if this is the case, she's being selfish. If she really loves you she'll let you go to what is best for you. As Choirboy mentioned in an earlier post, if you are a bad person you could have left her a long time ago, and let her figure out all the finances and other challenges on her own, but what makes you stay and endure this painful stage is your caring and manly character, which makes the decision making more difficult.

When it comes to decisions and what to do, it will be always difficult, I've been personally postponing many decisions because I feel like they are too difficult to take. In theory (reality might be different!), if one needs to take a decision about a crucial subject, he should take it now better than later, thinking carefully about all the odds, weight the options and then make the decision. If you need help or advice at any point, we're all here for you .. as much as we can.

All the best.(*hug*)

15. Melanie

Melanie Guest

So if she can never make the bills what are you going to do? I think this should be some sort of goal, and she needs to get on board. Easy for me to say, but I could see you in that predicament for years if shes not going to make the effort to be self-supporting.

(*hug*) to you. stay strong.

16. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Melanie , I too have though of this and I know that you are correct I think she is trying to keep me here by not trying to help fix her money problems . Thanks again every one for the support i really do need it :slight_smile: