1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The in-laws

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Spaceman, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Spaceman

For those who came out to a straight parter, how is your relationship with the in-laws? How has it changed since coming out?

2. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My wife does not want her parents (80s) to know.

SGG

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have no clue as I returned to my home state. One in-law has passed.

4. TakeMe2Church

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my in-laws immediately after coming out to my two kids (8 and 11). My kids are so close to Nana and Papa, that we wanted them to be able to talk with them. They are conservative religious people and I expected the worst, really. However, I have always had a fantastic relationship with them, better in some ways than my ex-wife's relationship with them! When I came out to them, they were initially shocked, pretty silent, but accepting and reasonably supportive. They still don't like to talk about it much, but they have continued to be supportive. After all, I am their grandkids' father and always will be! Truly, though, it has been much better than I imagined.

Hope this helps!

5. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My relationship with them hasn't changed. I am close to them, and I love them. I Only told my wife a week ago, but I have seen them a few times since, and we still talk the same. I actually think our relationship might even grow stronger, because if my wife and I work on our problems, the. We'll look even happier on front of her parents. Hope this helps

6. HTBO

I never really liked my in-laws, and now I don't need to pretend to so I guess it worked out well for me. My ex takes the kids to visit them

7. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I only have a mother-in-law and she is very supportive more than I can say form my wife and kids . I was really worried about telling her and it went over so smoothly

8. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I only have a mother-in-law and she is very supportive more than I can say form my wife and kids . I was really worried about telling her and it went over so smoothly

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, i'm not out yet but, they never really liked me anyway. although i do expect the full on traditional Catholic assault

10. jas4109

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mine hasn't change. They live in a different state...but we text,call and Facebook. They come visit and have stayed at my house. They don't treat me any different.

11. Spaceman

Mine have actually been amazingly supportive, and there are 4 of them since my wife's parents are divorced and both remarried. They're all ready to welcome me back to family gatherings, but my wife isn't and we all agree it won't happen until she's ready...if she ever is. It's awkward when we're all together at the kids sporting events because they don't want to seem to friendly with me in front of her. But all in all it's much better than I had feared.

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my wife's brothers had been ok and we don't have much communication with the other so I'm not sure. Her mother knows but has never said anything to me. However, so far she still calls me in a panic every time she has a computer problem or a mousetrap to empty, so things haven't changed much there. We're going to her grandmother's 99th birthday surprise party today so I'll be dealing with a few more who know, although the grandmother doesn't. It is what it is, I guess.

13. Richie.

I once had a close relationship with them. But now we are amicable but not chatty

14. CyclingFan

Parents in law treat me a little different, but I never saw them too much plus don't care about them. Sisters and brothers in law very supportive. Nieces and nephews, amazingly accepting and just fine with it all.

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the party was uneventful. The aunt and uncle who know I'm gay were friendly as ever, and he needed help with activating a new mobile phone. So gay or straight, I guess as long as I can empty mousetraps, get rid of computer viruses and decipher offshore help desk workers, I'm still acceptable. I'm not sure if that's a good thing....

16. Spaceman

You figured it out CB...it's all about tech support! My mother in law is constantly contacting me, but now that you mention it, it's usually for computer help. And I thought it was because she liked me. Thanks for bursting my bubble ;-)

17. MikeM66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    New to the site and just recently came out to my wife of 26 years and kids 20 and 15. Sat with my wife and told the in-laws and it went horrible. They always treated me like a son, but with me coming out they said horrible hurtful things. Now they are saying hateful stuff about me to my daughter and she was so nervous to even tell me because she didn't want to hurt me. Now I'm so nervous I can't even tell my parents! So this journey is going to be a long one.

Happy for you and all the others that it went well!