1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jekyl & hyde

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Crunchy, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Crunchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For those of you who were in the closet, or know someone who was, did it ever seem like you were two completely separate people? Like, one person to the outer world and another person entirely (probably the real you) in the closet?

If so, what was the experience like?

2. Penpal

Yes, I feel like this now. I am essentially the same person but I am far more open with gay people than straight people. It feels good when I'm around gay people.

3. Crunchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks Penpal, I did expect that as a general rule but what I guess what I am really asking is if anyone felt/feels a very solid split, almost as if there are two personalities?

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

My opinion...

The closet is not mental illness. It is "acting" for the sake of emotional and physical self protection.

Straight groups can be merciless including family.

Tom

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I came out, the "me" that I showed to the outside world was pretty much the only "me" that there was. Quiet, repressed and fearful. I didn't live any kind of double gay life. What you saw of me in public was all there was, and I kept myself as beige as possible to avoid being found out.

Now that I'm largely out, though, I find I'm a much more outgoing and confident and colorful person. Many of those traits were there years ago but I had consciously or unconsciously blunted them to stay closeted. It's less like a different personality than it is an unhidden, unfiltered and less covered up version of what was already there.

6. Crunchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks Choirboy, thats super interesting and helpful :slight_smile: