1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A funny thing happened at work the other day...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Biotech49

I don't make it a point to point myself out as a lesbian but I don't hide it either. I didn't talk about my girlfriend Lisa at work just because nobody ever really asked me except my friend Lisa (who just moved back to Wichita). A guy in my office asked if Lisa and I were going to hang out this weekend (she lives 50 miles away). I kind of hesitated and asked, "Which Lisa?". He said, "Your girlfriend Lisa". I must have turned :icon_redf as he sat there with a grin on this face. I asked how long he had known I was a lesbian. He said, "Ever since you whooped it up in the greenhouse when DOMA got overturned". So now my CEO knows, ***** knows, probably everyone who has been there any length of time knows, and the six new temps we just hired will find out if they ask me about my life. Lol!

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tis a good feeling, being out yes? Not feeling like you have to hide.

Very cool...congratulations.

3. Biotech49

I'm coming up on two years in January! I can't believe it's been that long but boy has my life changed for the better!

4. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is great to hear that things are doing so well for you I only wish I could say the same thing . Good luck and have a most enjoyable day !

5. ithinkiamgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good to know!! Have fun!

6. Chelski

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great feeling to have.. like the weight has been lifted off your shoulders

7. LittleLionGirl

I just WISH I was in a position where everyone at work knows. For a small office entirely staffed by women, it's proving very difficult to "spread the word".

Half the people I work with know, the other half keep asking me if I'm dating any nice men. When I mention a social engagement, the question is inevitably - "Who with?" and when I answer, "a friend" the follow-up is ALWAYS "a male friend?"

UGH!!!

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

hey, biotech, I LOVE your avatar! :eusa_clap

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thats soooo great for you Biotech. ive come to the conclusion that this place is full of homophobes including both of my managers. so im not going to be making any "announcements" here. if i start dating a guy im not going to hide him but there's too much crap here.:bang::***:

10. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had a chili cookoff fundraiser today--$1 a cup of a dozen or more varieties. I went down with several people from my department and we sat at a table in a crowded room and gorged ourselves. While we sat there, we had assorted animated discussions and we had friendly conversations about our lives at work and home. They asked about my boyfriend Richard's kids, how my separation was going, when we might move in together, all very openly and loudly because it was a packed space.

After I got back to my desk it occurred to me that there might well have been people there who had no idea I was out, separating, or involved with another guy, but they certainly had the opportunity to know now. Early this summer that realization would have sent me into a complete state of panic. Today, it was just part of the conversation and I really don't care if it gave a few people the chance to see more of the puzzle.

It's so great to NOT CARE who finds out. My sister posted some gay-friendly item on Facebook today and I made a dry comment about gay men, referring to them as "we". I'm not sure that I've ever done that before. But I just don't care if it's a big reveal for someone. It's just me. What a great feeling!