1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

out to wife

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by kindy14, Nov 25, 2014.

1. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

well, during therapy today with my wife, I finally came out to my wife as bi-sexual...
    oh, yeah they (wife and therapist) are there to support me.

How do I tell my wife that there's no spark between us any more, at least for me?

The harsh truth for me is that I've never been into her as much as she is with me.
    Never felt she was my best friend
    Never felt comfortable opening up to her

Whatever attraction I had for her is done
    And I have no attachment to her at all. 3 weeks and I don't miss her one bit.

Oh well, one less hurdle in my life. She also knows about my super cute 18 yo roommate.
    Doesn't want him to be near our son. One more hurdle.

Life in my head is swirrling, so I'm just going to put my self on spin cycle and take a nap.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey kindy,

It's good that you are seeking therapy with her and that you are getting their support. You will also need your therapist's support alone when it comes time to confront what appears to be the inevitable...

Your relationship with her is exactly what mine was, and it was a good thing that we ended it. In truth, divorce is no guarantee of happiness, it's just the right thing to do in this circumstance.

It ends at least one kind of pain.

Get some rest, it's better to have a clear head when dealing with these things...

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    kindy, I totally understand what you are going threw only difference is my was hostile and abusive at first now she is trying her best to make me stay everything from guilt to massive amounts of sex which I do not want at all . Congrats on coming out !!!! If you ever want to talk just holler at me :slight_smile:

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw my ex the other day at a social event. Its been quite some time since I told her and we agreed to split. She was confident, gracious and seemed strong and independent.

I know I made the right decision.

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Thanks for the support guys...

Yeah, I've got individual appointments with our therapist. She is doing a good job of prying things out of me. Almost totally shut down when she was trying to get me to tell more of the situation and truth.

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take it slow and use your therapist to guide you and help you through the process of clarifying your thoughts and revealing your true feelings to your wife. You will both need a lot of support through this.

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

my big question, why do i have to clarify anything with my soon to be ex-wife, though not soon enough.

tried to tell her that nothing about now changes anything in the past. that I'm a different person now.

talked to my roommate to get a better feel for where he is with him and me. We had a good honest discussion, he sees the possibility of a future relationship, but he's not in a place where he's even thinking about any relationship. And he's going through a bunch of shit now, including changes in his bipolar meds, and told me his answer could swerve a some depending on the day. he basically freed me from worrying about his feelings. only thing he said would bother him was if i was bringing home a different guy/girl home every night.

So, while I'm not DONE with him, I'm going to stop crushing on him, and find someone less vulnerable, and not long term, maybe FWB?

8. GodlyDemon333

You need to clarify things her because people need closure. Just be cause this is shut and dry for you doesn't mean that it is for her. Regardless of how you feel now, you were married for 21+ years. The fact that you've admitted to not even seriously trying not be friends with her to make her into a confidant is sad; even people forced into an arranged marriages learn that they need to do this :frowning2: . Despite the fact that you adopted, she is the mother of your kids and deserves that much respect (she could be a total B, you still show your partner some respect). Plus being friends with the ex is much better than having a long bitter, contentious divorce in which said former spouse uses you sexuality (and the young person you now live with) as ammunition to try and take most, if not all, of your parental rights away. I've seen it happen time again to both straight and gay men. Even the nicest angel in a broken marriage, can turn it bitter a hellspawn once the actual divorce starts (this is true of everyone regardless of gender).

#8 GodlyDemon333, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  9. Wukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I went through this with my wife I found that being completely open and honest worked best for me. There was a lot of crying on both sides but over the course of a few weeks things started changing and acceptance set in with her. She is my best friend and I couldn't imagine not having her in my life and I'm glad that it went the way it did.

I know it feels like you have to clarify to someone that you have no feelings for, but you have to remember that she has/had feelings for you and by talking with her you can maybe ease her heartache.

EDIT: I see this was posted on November 25th. How are you doing after a little time?

#9 Wukie, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that the fact that you are working with a therapist is fantastic, and it's probably a good idea to discuss it with the therapist and maybe even role play it a little bit with the therapist before going live with your wife. Yes, there needs to be some closure, but I think that there is such a thing as too much information. She knows that you are gay, and there are lots of books that she can find in the library or on amazon written by women married to gay men, if she really wants to get a vivid picture (though I'm not sure if that is the best thing either). But I guess my point is that she may want to know EVERYTHING, and you may provide so much detail that it only results in hurting her more. You know you're gay, you're therapist agrees, it sounds like your wife knows you live with a young boyfriend, so she would seem to have all the details she needs to be able to make her decisions and move on with her life. Next steps will be legal, and financial. You're further along in the process than I am, so take my thoughts for what they're worth. But those are the thoughts that I have about how I would be handling things if I ever get to that point. My last round of therapy was a long time ago, and not open and honest. If I get into therapy again, I will not hesitate to be completely honest. Sunlight kills off that which makes us sick!

11. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Bi, Bi, Bi... actually my therapist thinks I'm pan-sexual...

Things are going well enough. With the holiday there wasn't a lot of time for my wife and I to talk. We're working things out with regard to custody of son. I'm taking care of son till tomorrow at house (not apartment) until wife gets back from biz trip.

We still need to work through more closure for her. There isn't really much to say with regards to me having sex with men, I've done it once recently, the other times I was 11-13. Otherwise, I've only ever physically cheated on her once. My therapist did make suggestions today, I'm inviting my wife to therapy next week to talk more. And then I'm filing papers. She seemed very understanding when I came out. She seemed more resigned at the end that maybe the marriage wasn't going to go forward.

My roommate had kept himself away this past weekend when I had my son here. My son know's he is my roommate, and didn't seem to have a problem or any questions about it. So, we're leaving that issue alone. Son and I had therapy today, he talked for awhile with the therapist, and then when I came in, he didn't have any questions. So, we talked about his general behavior and continued lying (typical topic.)

My son, a few friends, and I had our Thanksgiving dinner this past Friday, and that was very fun. Saturday, he and I shopped for a loft bed frame for him, and picked up a couple of furniture bargains at the thrift store. So far I've gotten the entire living room furnished for $350, only started with 1 chair. Interestingly, my son was excited yesterday that he was actually visiting while my roommate was here. I had to pick up my laundry to do, and had my son help bring bags to my car.

Anyway, I'm much more sure of where I am today, then this whole past 5 months. Much more purposeful and focused. My therapist even said I looked happier.

Came out to my first friend, an old high school friend that I'm still connected with on facebook. Choose him because he's gay, so I figured he'd be empathetic. He was, and gave me the same cautions everyone is giving me regarding my 18 yo roommate. It was nice talking to someone I knew, and who knew me.

#11 kindy14, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  12. GodlyDemon333

That's great everyone deserves a friends who they can talk too :slight_smile:.

13. jaykenna1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Im recently on this site...im still trying to figure out what to do at age 50, married with a 21 and 25 yo children, im so frustrated
    My bigger problem is that im only attracted to younger guys so the chance of finding a young guy to be with is slim...i cant imagine how you went through this though. I guess if i did infact find someone i may, but there would be many surprised people for sure! good luck man

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I understand what you're going through! you might even want to post this on a new thread, so that you get more advice from people who can identify where you're at. I'm 58, my children are also grown, and it took my most of my life to acknowledge to myself that I'm gay. As far as what to do, I suggest that a good thing to do is to keep sharing what you're going through on this site. I find that just typing it out has been really therapeutic for me. And lots of people respond with their own stories. most are pretty helpful. I finally tracked down an old friend and came out to him as a result of Empty Closets, and it really has made me feel much better. All of this is helping me feel less alone and less isolated. Now as far as your "type," that is, the kid of guy that you are attracted to, well, it's good for you to have figured out what you like. I wouldn't say that the chances of finding someone like that are slim. the fact is, there are lots of younger guys who like older guys too :thumbsup:

15. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of daddy chasers out there.....

16. archerrose

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a queer woman who is married to a pansexual man.

str8s Mailing List Straight Spouse Network for support for your wife

COLAGE is a good organization for your son if he needs it and is old enough to be on the internet.

17. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Yeah, I've got a line of daddy chasers on a couple of the social sites. It feels good, but most of them want either money, my d***, or both. I'm steering clear of most of them, but they're cute if they match their photo's. Not looking to be a sugar daddy.

Things changed for me when I finally realized I have a lot going for myself. I'm far from perfect, but who is looking for the "perfect" person. I'm healthy, in decent shape (HWP,) funny, interesting, caring, and well off in several ways.

I've finally discovered my self confidence.

18. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a lot of Sugar Babies out there for sure. But be sure not confuse those that are only interested in money with those that are interested in a real relationship, where any relationship should provide a degree of mutual security for each other - sometimes that security is emotional, sometimes its financial, sometimes its just a "perk".

Great to hear you have discovered your self confidence! Thats a massive leap forward.

19. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Yeah, I've been more, testing the waters, so to speak. I've done favors for a few, but nothing serious or expensive. I had a nice lunch yesterday with one young guy, he was cute, and we had a good time talking about all sorts of stuff. We kept it at lunch, he had studying and a project do for some class.

Well, not counting my roommate, who is trying very hard to be useful when he's not off partying with his friends and family. He just doesn't get that I don't need him as a roommate, or an employee right now, I need him mostly as a friend. He says he doesn't care what anyone thinks, but also thinks going to far physically would be inappropriate. I respect his feelings, but it's really frustrating.

I'm trying to work out my feelings for younger men, and why I'm attracted to them. We've not dealt with it to much yet in therapy. I know one reason is I feel safer approaching them, versus approaching someone older. Not sure why I'm more anxious when I'm approaching an older guy.

20. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might not be where you are at, but for me, I think my emotional maturity level got stuck somewhere in my early 20's. I had viewed those older than me as authority figures with a high degree of skepticism. Only now am I starting to evolve and be more social with other "daddies". But I believe my maturity level is still playing quite a bit of catch up.

My partner is in his late 20's. He is very mature, educated, extremely responsible and independent. Seems to be the perfect fit for me.