1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contemplating bisexuality

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by nerdbrain, Nov 30, 2014.

1. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve been posting here regularly over the past few months, often coming from a state of distress or desperation. Today I feel more contemplative and thought I would try to capture a bird’s-eye-view of my own inner landscape.

Throughout my adult life, I have found myself regularly torn between three competing emotional/sexual drives:

1. Build a loving, safe intimacy with a woman. Psychologically speaking, I think this is a way of reestablishing the safety of the original relationship with Mother. But I also think this is part of how heterosexuality works normally. For the record, this is not some internalized social mandate to get married; I have been genuinely attracted to women as long as I can remember.
    2. Conquer and dominate as many women as possible. This seems like a more adolescent impulse, the desire to prove to myself that I am a man. But it is also a kind of virility and vitality that seems good. On the street, I usually check out both girls and guys, sometimes more one than the other.
    3. Submit to and worship a strong and powerful male figure. For a long time, I thought this represented a kind of father hunger, or a wish to reestablish the relationship with Father (similar to #1 with mother). But now I think it is more about male initiation, similar to the master/apprentice relationship in ancient cultures, which often had a homosexual component as well.

I believe that most straight men struggle with #1 and #2 regularly. There is a whole cultural debate about monogamy. This is nothing new.

The presence of #3 has always been disturbing to me. It certainly doesn’t fit the traditional hetero model. It isn’t quite the typical homosexual model either, at least as I understand it. The logical conclusion is that I am a bona fide bisexual.

This concept is really hard for me to grasp, like getting a letter saying that you are a unicorn. Reading many stories on EC and elsewhere, my sense is that if you are fantasizing about cock, you are gay and will eventually wind up with a man, even if it makes you feel better to call yourself bisexual at first.

I must admit that somehow these three impulses are related to each other, parts of a whole, at least in my mind. I don’t want to have to choose one path at the exclusion of the others; it seems like I would be leaving a part of myself unattended to.

It’s complicated enough to have this stuff inside my head; it’s a whole other matter to act on these feelings in the real world.

I suppose living in NYC as I do, I am in the best possible place to have a non-conventional sexual identity. But even here it would be challenging. I don’t really want to tell a girl I’m dating that I’m bisexual. I don’t want to go on any of the gay hookup apps or to gay bars. And I still miss my wife very, very much.

We’re often encouraged to “be honest.” I feel that I am being as honest as possible, but my honesty still leads me into this familiar deadlock.

I would value any advice or perspective the community can offer.

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Have you considered "domination" by a male simply puts the responsbility on somebody else for your gay leanings? "I am not gay. He made me do it".

#3 stinks of cop-out.

Possibly you are simply over-thinking.

Tom

3. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, I didn't mean domination in the sense of rape or that I was powerless. Just more that my gay fantasies are bottom-y rather than top-y.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Still think you are over-thinking. :slight_smile:

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Men can be bisexual too , men don't turn gay . Men can either be straight , bisexual and gay .
    Men just aren't gay or straight .

6. iiimee

This isn't a conclusion you can rush to. Do YOU think you are bisexual, or straight? Bisexual by definition means you are attracted to both genders, while Pansexual means you are attracted to personality over body, though body is still something you like. I don't think you are Pansexual, but these urges could mean you are either bisexual or bicurious. However, define YOURSELF how YOU think YOU are. Despite what the person said above, you sound bisexual to me, with maybe simply a preference for stronger more masculine guys? Somebody domniant in the relationship?

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think he's bisexual too . but he thinks he gonna turn gay and I was saying men aren't just gay and straight .

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Nerdbrain, don't feel pressured to put any label on yourself, especially one that you don't feel comfortable with. True, there are many of us, like me, who struggled with sexual identity issues and for a while may have been more comfortable with the bi label until we could accept that we are gay, and that was a tough process for me because I was in such deep denial in the face of the facts of my life. but no matter how many men there are like me, there are plenty of people who are bi, or fluid, or trans, or genderqueer, etc (sraight? I don't know, but maybe), and each one of us have to figure that out, there is no cookie cutter approach. It is your journey, and yes your struggle. I find some beauty in my own struggle, some joy in the midst of the pain. just be open and accepting of yourself.

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what its worth, brain, as a bisexual woman I identify strongly with #1 and #3 myself. I'd say #3 feels more like fantasy...the kind of guy I'd likely feel attracted to and end up with in real life is quite different from #3...but I get the appeal. I also have to add that these aren't my only sexual/emotional drives...but they are what overlap with yours.

None of us can tell you what you are, of course. And each of us is apt to see ourselves in your story (hence skiff's conviction that you're just like him but overthinking, while you sound a fair bit to me like me). But ultimately, you'll have to decide what resonates most.

I agree with ilimee and Wildside that this isn't a decision you should rush to or feel pressured to make. What I tell everyone who expresses angst over their "true" sexuality and isn't sure how to figure it out is to put long term relationships on hold for a bit, and just date people you find yourself attracted to, and after a while look at the patterns: if you're mostly enjoying sexual experience with guys, you're probably gay; if you're enjoying a mix of sexual experiences with men and women, you're probably bisexual. I'll be a little less sure how to interpret things if the majority of the sexual experiences you enjoy are with women...but given your history, I'd wager that won't happen.

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that's how I figured it out. more in retrospect than prospectively. when I looked at the pattern of my life, and saw both that most of my experiences were with guys, and that I was absolutely on fire with those experiences (whereas my experiences with women usually required me to fantasize about guys), I finally connected the dots and realized, OK, I'm gay. It's hard to figure out "in theory" or overthinking it, but it's a lot easier to examine our experiences and draw conclusions. at least, that's what worked for me. good luck!

11. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I'm always amazed by the constant need to find a label that somehow "fits" what you are. One word isn't enough to describe anyone. Straight can have so many kinks that the label is meaningless. I think people ought to just forget about labels. We are all so unique and varied in our experiences and desires. A one word label is a stereotype we are trying to fit, like a club we want to belong to.

You know what floats your boat, all that's left is acting on it, or pushing it down. Denying your nature leads to so much internal conflict, as you well know. Figure out what is most important to your needs and desires. Live as close to that as you can.

#11 kindy14, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  12. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well in my case most of my experience has been with women, and I've enjoyed most of it. I've only recently started to experiment with men, and those experiences have been clouded a bit by nervousness and a general sense of "newness." I think I could go more boldly in that direction if I chose to, it's just that I don't really want to make that choice :slight_smile:

13. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Why is it you don't want to make that choice?

14. Omla

There is really in a way only one issue here.

That is how you deal with your responsibilities to other.

You are entitled as a human being to have problems defining yourself,
    And to take time to do it. IT IS HARD!

When you involve a woman particularly, you have some real things to
    Weigh. They include:

-you may eventually decide you need consistent
    Gay sex, and perhaps won't know it that soon.

-you may (like me) feel that if your female companion
    Had sexual needs you can't provide, you may experience great guilt,
    Even if you both are generally satisfied with the rest of the relationship.

-despite the pressure to know (which really should mostly come
    From your understandable desire for transparency in your relationship),
    You can't really rush the process of feeling settled in your identity.

-I am with you brother! This is NOT SIMPLE!

15. SouthernGeek

Nerdbrain,

I just found this site today and it seems that we have a lot in common. I've admitted my feelings to my wife and a couple other people. I just thought you might find comfort in knowing somebody else feels very similarly -- I know it's comforting to me.

Peace

16. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes.

You nailed it.

This is all about responsibility, and trying to do "what's right" given that I am getting lots of conflicting information and impulses from my mind.

I think right now I embody the negative bi stereotype of someone who is profoundly indecisive. I am quite paralyzed with indecision. I've been wrestling with this stuff for 17 years, but on the other hand I've only really tried to be open to it (rather than suppressing/ignoring) for a few months.

Part of me wants to go back to my wife. Part of me wants to go out and sleep with girls -- in fact I have a date with one tonight. Part of me wants to to find a relationship with a guy where I will be comfortable expressing my gay side.

It's really a state of chaos and I'm ashamed to admit it. I don't really know how to get to a place of peace.

My sense is that some kind of bold and decisive action is required. The only thing that comes to mind is divorce (my wife and I are now separated). Again, I know it seems cowardly, but I am scared to burn that bridge.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2014 at 01:41 PM ----------

I do, and thanks. Good luck and I would encourage you to keep posting here. I've often felt out of control with my feelings, like they were too crazy to tell anyone. But now I just put them on the Internet! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2014 at 01:44 PM ----------

Simply put, I am afraid of ruling out any of my options.

17. Omla

I am writing again because I know we both feel weird and kind of alone.

I do think if there ate up sides it's these...

-it is exhilarating to get to know yourself.

-exciting sexual feelings and experiences

-if you allow the confusion, you may find in certain ways many improvements in relations with others since you have at least accepted confusion which I feel is totally legitimate.

Hang in there (I will also)!

18. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Well, I'm in similar straights, navigating the rough shoals of my psyche...

Back in July I decided I had to throw my life, my whole life, in a wood chipper (metaphorically) and see what was important to me.

So, I'd been re-evaluating everything about my life, career, relationships, what drives me.

Things finally came to a head, read about that elsewhere, and I knew I couldn't keep lying to everyone that is supposed to matter to me. Tired of not living true to myself, or at least, my self image without the masks.

I chose to separate from my wife, this is giving me some space to think. I am sure that I want a divorce, and I believe my wife is finally realizing this. Sex and sexuality are a bit player in this process.

The social hookup sites are providing a lot of positive self-validation as far as my physicality is concerned. But, I've always been into the whole person, not just body parts. I want to love someone, not just have sex with them. Anyway, I've not yet gotten to the slutty stage of post-separation/divorce.

If you want to reconcile all this, first be honest with yourself, then be honest with your wife. Then figure out if you and your wife can still be a thing. If not, be decisive.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you knew...knew for a fact...that you are indeed bisexual...how would that change your situation and/or your plans? Would you consider talking to your wife, explaining that, and see if it would be possible to get back together, but with a less monogamous understanding between you?

Mostly, I'm wondering what the impact of this contemplation is for you.

20. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

My original plan had been to talk a lot about my self-discovery with my therapist, before leaving my wife. But life got in the way, RTEW, so I ended up acting without thinking through if there were any other options. I might have been able to handle the big crisis at the time a different way. I might still be with my wife, but I wouldn't BE WITH her. I checked out of the marriage months ago.