1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still figuring it out...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by whatdoIneed, Nov 30, 2014.

1. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello all-

This is my second post on here- I posted a while ago to say hello, but got busy and stepped away. Short version is I'm 47 years old and have finally accepted that I'm attracted to men. The odd thing is I can't yet see myself becoming intimate with another man....if that makes any sense. I guess the one thing thats affecting this is I never have had a girlfriend or a boyfriend, never dated, etc. So i have no experience with intimacy. Looking back, I've always known I was gay. (There. I said it. I am gay.), but made excuses about why i didn't have girlfriends so I didn't have to face the issue [there are a lot of family and other issues going on that i blamed for not having anyone. While those issues played a role, they were a handy excuse]. I suppose the up side of that is I didn't end up with a wife and kids who could get hurt in the whole thing.

I guess my question is- have other people who realized they were LGBT late in life go through this- understanding you are attracted to the same sex, but not seeing yourself in an intimate relationship?