1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever feel your life is in "park" mode?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quietman702, Dec 2, 2014.

1. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wondering if others feel like this.

I feel as if I'm in "P" park like a car, the engine is running but not going anywhere. It's like well where to next, ready to input an address in the gps but coming up blank. I've come a long way in the last 5 years, dealt with life changing decisions and their outcomes so I'm not afraid to move forward.

I'm so bored it almost feels like apathy. I take my meds routinely and haven't had thoughts of suicide in a number of months. I realize that my recent retirement is contributing to this, but it's more than that. I've got a lot to offer as a volunteer as I have depth in the areas of finance, customer relations and being a good non judgement listener. But when I approach local agencies to volunteer they treat me as if I have a third eye. They cry for help but won't let me even stuff envelopes. It's as if they are wary letting someone my age volunteer. Hell do I need to be in my 70's!? I'm at the stage in life I'm not going to beg them to volunteer. Please keep in mind my style is laid back and I'm sure I'm not God's gift to them... just really confused, figure it's their loss. Apologies in advance if this is confusing to read, but it's where I'm at right now.

:bang:

PS I can only volunteer as I'm disabled and can't work.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    do you have a LGBT centre or Pflag chapter in striking distance? i know WV can be pretty rural, not sure where you live of course, but it could be an option. what about your local food bank?

just a couple of options

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2014 at 01:09 PM ----------

just to add, feeling in park? yep, but i kind of put my life there till after the divorce, etc. then hopefully i can then at least creep out of the parking lot on idle speed at least.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I am not in park... more like wheels spinning in mud or gps is going in circles and not to destination.

Want to make local friends who are gay but it is not happening.

I know what you mwn.

Tom

4. Wukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel that way. After coming out I need friends. I live in a small town and the city where I used to live is 45 minutes away, so it isn't easy to meet people. I have been trying to find online friends also.

I am on disability as well at the moment from a back injury I got working in construction, so I start volunteering next Monday at an animal rescue/zoo so I can get healthy enough to get back to work at an easy pace. Not working has been a lot harder than one would think.

Do you have any groups close by you could join? There are monthly pride events in the city where I used to live, but the people who attended were normally around 18 to 20, so I didn't really relate.

Therapy has also been helping me with finally coming out and refocusing my priorities, but I still feel in P too.

#4 Wukie, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  5. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mine is more feeling like I'm on a road or in a car that doesn't work properly but would rather keep on something I know moves me forward than risk finding something else. Actually, I've just recently accepted the fact that I'm gay (though if I had been honest for myself, I'd have known since I was a teenager) I'm only out to my therapist, so I'm not entirely ready to start "living" as a gay man. Actually, I have other issues in my life to deal with first before I start thinking about any type of romantic relationship. Accepting my homosexuality is kinda one step in getting my life in order- figuring out what I want/need and making that a priority.

6. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me? Not only in park, but forgotten where I've left the car.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its over here! :slight_smile:

8. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks everyone, hadn't thought of the local food bank. I tried to help a gay group start but only have very low attendance. Being gay in a small town in WV is not ideal, believe it or not there is only 1.7m in the whole state. I've never been accosted, but other gay guys have so they are scared of the rednecks here and being "out" in public. I've found friends online but all live in other states.

Well if skiff found the car, I have the keys but who will drive and which of you know where to go :lol:

#8 quietman702, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014