1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mind blown

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Dec 7, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mind blown...

So a friend (lets call him Harry, age 59) at work tells me this mornining a college student showed up at his door last night. He had met the young man and his gay parents last summer in P-town.

Later in the morning Harry told me he was feeling funny about having spent the night with a 24 year old. Ok...

Then this afternoon he was all smiles again. The young man had told his parents about the hookup and the parents called Harry to say how happy they were that their son had hooked up with Harry.

I do not believe I will ever understand people.

Mind blown.

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, wait. There is an enormous disconnect between how 24-year-olds use the expression "hooked up" and how 59-year-olds use it...and quite possibly how parents of 24-year-olds use it. Also disconnects in "spent the night with".

I'm trying to be certain of what actually happened, as opposed to what you seem to be implying.

Did Harry and this 24-year-old have sex (of some kind)? Or might the young man simply have stayed late enough into the evening that he crashed there?

Might the parents have been using "glad you hooked up" to mean "glad you saw each other and had a chance to talk some"? I mean, that's what my parents would have meant by such a statement...and what I myself might have meant.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes. All implications are as you assume.

I can only guess huge crush that the young man pestered parents with.

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if *all* implications are as I assume, and the parents were just voicing gladness that their son *met up* with this nice man they'd met last summer, then my mind isn't blown.

Age disconnects aren't that uncommon, and both parties were of legal age.

My only shock was if the parents were generally enthusiastic about a sexual relationship between the two.

5. Clay

Maybe they were just happy their son's happy.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

The parents calling is my disconnect.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

yeah, it doesn't sound like the parents understand the term "hook up" the same way as I do. but then again, if his parents are gay, maybe they do

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yikes.

The *last* thing I'd be doing is being joyful if my 24 year old son hooked up with a 59 year old guy.

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I strongly suspect that the parents are unaware that there was a sexual aspect to the interaction...whether or not your friend realizes that they are unaware of this.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

They were aware. It was clarafied in that call.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This exactly. I'm still assuming there's some sort of disconnect--maybe Harry heard what he wanted to hear.

12. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Ya never know with some people.

Could be that they are happy their son is happy?

Who knows, the parents calling is a little weird...

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I'm still guessing that the parents are unfamiliar with the meaning of "hook up". is that possible, for gay parents?

14. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps the parents were simply happy he had hooked up with someone closer to his own age.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay parents with a gay son will not misconstrue the term "hook-up". From what I can understand, they're happy that their son hooked up (sexually) with somebody they had met and felt safe about. The phone call was a bit weird, though.

Lex

16. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

A 24 year old is an adult who can make his own decisions in life, a 59 year old is an adult who can make his own decisions in life.

If they screwed each other and the parents are fine with it, so what. Better someone they know than some random from a bar or dating app/site.

17. Aldrick

Yes, this is very odd and strange. Not so much the 24 year old hooking up with the 59 year old, but the phone call from the parents. I mean, some people just dig older guys. That is cool. Especially if it was just sexual, and there is not some type of romantic relationship brewing. After all, they are both consenting adults.

What is odd is the phone call from the parents. I am not sure how I would react to such a call. I mean, what do you say to the parents? "Yeah, it was great. Your son sucked cock like a pro. He has definitely had a lot of practice, you should be proud!" I mean, seriously! What do you say? :lol:

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Aldrick,

That is what "Harry" said too in relating the events.

Tom

19. AKTodd

The age thing is irrelevant. Both parties are legal adults and apparently it's just sex, not a relationship thing. So no big deal.

The parents calling and expressing approval is perhaps a bit out of the ordinary, but I would point out that in my time on EC, I've watched members (and staff) provide advice and engage in frank discussion on everything from the proper way to engage in anal sex to whether or not a 13yr old boy should have his request for a dildo fulfilled by his parents (IIRC the consensus was that if he's old to ask for one, he's old enough to have one). This either directed at, or spoken openly in front of people on this list who are underage children by every legal definition on the planet. Except that we also all see from the discussions on this forum that these children are often far from the innocent little waifs that modern Western culture so much wants to think of them as. And, given the range of subject matters on the forum, I would presume that the overall ethos of EC is that, within broad limits, frank discussion and advice is a positive approach to things.

Getting back to the parents in question - if they were to apply the same principles that guide EC to the raising of their son, then by the time he was 24yrs old, I wouldn't be at all surprised that he (and his parents) apparently take a very open and straightforward approach to sex and sexuality.

The calling to congratulate 'Harry' is certainly out of the ordinary, but apparently they already knew him and approved of him as a sex partner for their son (who I very much doubt was some blushing virgin and presumably had decided that he wanted to seduce Harry). And after my time here at EC, I find that I increasingly consider a lot of the social taboos that our culture mucks about with (like pretending that our parents or our children are somehow chaste innocents who never think about or engage in sex) to be a pointless waste of time. Perhaps the parents in this case take a similar approach and have simply taken it a bit further.

Another thought:

Based on what's been described it seems likely that Harry would be seeing the parents again and probably in the presence of their son. In which case, he might feel uncomfortable and embarrassed and awkward because of the 'secret' that he and the son were hiding from the parents. Their call may have been an attempt to prevent that sort of thing.

My 2c worth,

Todd

#19 AKTodd, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  20. Wildside

Wildside Guest

this is the first interpretation that makes sense to me. the gay parents are saavy enough to know that the son is going to do what he is going to do, so they might as well feel comfortable. and they know that he will eventually move on to someone else, that's just the way of the world