1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went Dancing Last Night

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Dec 8, 2014.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last night I went to a Sunday T Dance for the first time. I stopped drinking a few years back and rather than drinking alcohol, I drank sparkling water during the evening (a friend of mine told me it was possible to dance at a club and NOT drink alcohol, I was skeptical at first). The music was a mix of disco and 80's, the DJ did a great job adding some bass lines and tempo bring the sound up to date.

Now, I have been to clubs in the past, and NEVER danced. I always felt restrained. The most I did was bounce a bit in my chair while putting down my Vodka and soda. When I was a kid, I loved to dance. I was even on TV as a child disco dancing, must been around 10 at the time. But I had locked all of that up when I decided to stay in the closet after high school.

The place we went to last night was jam packed. The crowd was 90 percent LGBT later in life. Everyone was having a great time. Guys were dancing on stage, on platforms, with shirts off, with makeup on, in drag, you name it; laser lights were flashing, strobes were going around. There was a great vibe and a massive party atmosphere. The music brought me right back to my teenage years.

I was with my partner, whom himself is a bit reserved, and after getting the music in my viens standing on the side, I grabbed him and dragged him to the center of the dance floor. I was a bit rusty, but slowly yet surely it all started to come back to me. We had an amazing time!

I look back at all those years in the closet, how much I kept inside, and each day, week, month and year that I am out, I continue to find new things about myself, about being gay or revive things buried deep inside me. Last night was another exact reason why I never will look back and question why I decided to come out.

I loved it!

#1 OnTheHighway, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. FoxSong

Sounds fantastic :slight_smile:

I'm still in very early days with this whole process but yeah, I've also already noticed the difference. It's so liberating when you feel like you're being your genuine self, smiling your actual gorgeous smile rather than some half-guilty little expression as though you'll be caught out for not being sincere enough.

I think we bury a lot along the way and its really good to find out its all still there, our passion, just waiting to be unearthed.

3. archerrose

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you had a blast!!!!! I wish that they had an awesome club like that by me. They are either men only or 20 somethings only or are boring

4. Spaceman

That's awesome USxUK! I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I went to a gay nightclub with two gay friends. Before coming out, I dreaded going out dancing, but this night was different. The energy of being on that dance floor surrounded by other gay men was incredible. Can't wait to do it again.

5. TakeMe2Church

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah, you are living my dream! I hope to join you out on the floor sometime!

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come dip you toe in, the water is warm!