1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Molly1977, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Molly1977

i have lived in the same town all my life and there is a very small gay community here and i have never had a relationship. It is also a very expensive town and very difficult to live here.

I have a job interview on Wednesday in a town at the other side of the country. It is a nicer town and cheaper to live there. The problem is that the job is only for 12 months and it will be difficult to change my mortage and get a house there.

Im so scared that I will be on my own all my life and will always be in this town. Why does everthing have to be so difficult. I just wish i knew i was doing the right thing.

SO VERY SCARED!!!!

2. SouthernGeek

Maybe it's smarter to rent if you're only going to be there 12 months. You may even find a roommate.

3. Penpal

Hi Molly, I think you will probably need to rent for a bit before you buy. You need to get to know the area before you can know where to buy a house. You have travelled all over the world. You are social, intelligent and a lovely person. You just need to find a little happiness. Try not to get too stressed, you are dealing with a lot at the moment. Take it one step at a time. Here if you need me, you aren't on your own. (*hug*)

4. SouthernGeek

Molly, I'm not a CPA nor a lawyer, but there (used to be) tax benefits possible if you are on a job that is temporary, which I believe was defined as one that had no intention of lasting beyond 12 months. You have to be 50 miles from home, and maintain your current home.

The company that recruited me to work for a large contracting company was able to split my pay into 2 sections, part of which was the "per diem" for living out of town. That part was tax-free. Seems like the tax savings alone paid for about half of my long-term stay hotel room.

Moving to a new place can be scary, but it's an adventure, too!

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Getting out of the place that you have lived your whole life will open up new horizons that you have never dreamed of. having lived in the same place all your life, you may feel like a move has to be another lifetime commitment. life's not like that. people move lots of time. enjoy this opportunity, and like people say, rent. maybe you can sell your house, maybe you can rent it out. but you will meet new people, and have new experiences. and even if you come back to your old home town, you will not be the same person, and you won't see things the same any more. because, as the title of the novel by Thomas Wolfe proclaimed, "You Can't Go Home Again."

6. Molly1977

Thank you wildside - that is really good advice. Molly xx