1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Children of the 60s and beyond...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Adam1969, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Adam1969

My dear friends from the closing decades of the 20th century, please join my Breakfast Club and help me remember. (&&&)

I realize now that a big part of my childhood was spent in the dark about what is today called the LGBT community. I only remember knowing of around maybe a dozen rumored to be gay people before I graduated highschool in the mid-late 80s. I certainly had no facts about anyone else being gay. The occasional harassment of others and my insecurities made me shut the hell up real quick and forever! There were only the same old malicious rumors... a few girls on the basketball team and a few guys in choir or band. I knew most of those people and I dont recall one of them saying... "Hey man, I'm gay!" Did anyone do that back then? I sure as hell didnt! Were there support groups? Library resources? Guidance counselors? Nooky session!? :grin: :eusa_naug I remember guys inviting me over from time to time and getting a bit close, but it didn't cross my mind to think I was being hit on! :eusa_doh: What were all my gay brothers and sisters up to back in the day? Where were you, the wrestling team? :slight_smile:

Please share... (&&&)

#1 Adam1969, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Photography Club, in the dark room! (No Pun Intended :eusa_doh:slight_smile:

3. Adam1969

Awesome!

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was in high school during the late 1980s. I was pretty socially disconnected/isolated, so this might not be valid. That said, I don't recall hearing of even ONE openly LGBT student. As a guess, I'd guess all LGBT kids just hid in their closets, possibly quivering in fear that someone might open the door and see them.

One thing that made that era so special was AIDS. It was deadly, and treatment was pretty limited. And, worst of all, it was perceived to be a gay man disease. I have to think any boy who came out would have immediately sparked fear that he automatically must have AIDS just because he was gay.

I'm not sure I was in the closet with myself. I don't think I ever seriously thought I was gay until later; however, I should have at least recognized that some of my interest in other boys was not normal--it was not admiring better bodies, or wanting a friend, or...

In many ways, high school was merely a 4 year prison term to be served out.

I'm pretty sure the only possible support resources then would have been counselors. What they'd have done, though, is anyone's guess.

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2014 at 04:27 AM ----------

I was pretty much only a student. I showed up, went to class, and then usually went home.

No sports, partly lack of interest, partly worries about the possibility of showers. No clubs or other activities--again, no interest in what the school had. Part of me also felt like I'd already put in 6.5 hours, and why linger any longer?

Towards the end of my time there, I did stay regularly to use a computer in the computer lab; however, I was usually totally alone.

It's funny, but wrestling was one of the few activities that even remotely interested me during my last year of PE. Was there something that for a brief moment grabbed my interest about it as a sport? Or was it the boy that I got assigned to wrestle with, who had a decent looking body, and was the boy I got along the best with in class?

Another sport the gay boy might like: swimming. Practices and meets filled with other boys wearing nothing but a skimpy Speedo. But we didn't have a team, so that was not even an option.

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was totally in the dark about being gay for years, and was actually bullied far more for being fat and smart than I ever was for any suspicious mannerisms, and much worse in junior high than in high school. I still cringe when people tell me I'm smart, because I was so totally conditioned to consider it a derogatory comment. (How sick is that?)

In high school, I was on the A-V club, spent 3 years as the lab assistant to the chemistry/physics teacher (great fun, setting up experiments and making sure they worked), and I pretty much single-handedly wrote the yearbook for a couple years. But I discovered the theater in sophomore year and was in all the musicals, and finally managed to squeeze chorus into my schedule my senior year, which was where I finally blossomed and basically morphed from geek to Gleek. The chorus teacher was just out of college and only 4 years my senior, and hung out with a group of us upperclassmen in the choir. He had a very obvious crush on one of the guys (as did I), which I realize now was borderline inappropriate, and he actually got into trouble a few years later in another city for a consensual relationship with another (legal age) high school senior. My (barely closeted lesbian) girlfriend knew he was gay and had a few stories about him (the crush, however, was straight).

There were a few kids in the theater crowd that were whispered about as being gay, one who was quite obvious (and sadly, he died of AIDS early in the epidemic, although AIDS wasn't even a blip in the late 1970's when I was in high school). My Catholic school also absorbed a few guys who had been in the local seminary high school, which had closed for supposedly financial reasons (although the chorus teacher was also a grad of that school and said everyone referred to it as the "faggot factory", so finances may have been only part of the story). One of the kids had had several sexual interludes in the woods with either an older kid or an instructor which may or not have been consensual.

I fit in better with the theater/music crowd than I had anywhere else, but I was still fat and awkward, and the gay chorus teacher and the rest of them kept me somewhat at arm's length. I was gradually realizing that my attraction to guys was a bigger deal that it was for other guys my age, but the few gay guys I had met were so distinctive (read stereotypical) and so condescending to me that I felt very unwelcome among them. By the time I actually started realizing I was probably gay, I also was quite sure I'd be completely shunned by other gay guys, and coming out and risking losing my family seemed like an awfully big risk to take, with no likely reward.

There were a few other guys who, looking back, may well have been gay, and I've done the occasional random googling and am fairly sure I'm right on the mark about most of them. Whether or not I'd surprise anyone who googled me, I don't know, but frankly, I doubt that anyone would even bother to look. All in all, senior year notwithstanding, I'm glad it's over.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiding in plain sight, even from myself. trying to survive school and not get beat up just for breathing. not kidding, i got jumped just because i was there.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The high school I graduated from had 4000 students. The Young Republicans Club had 210 members. The Young Democrats Club had six. Not surprisingly, no, there was no LGBTQ student union.

A few years ago, I went back to the school to record part of my "It Gets Better" video. My old locker is next to the LGBTQ Club meeting room.

One of my fellow students was gay and out, although I don't recall him saying so. He was just "one of those theater students" who was pretty flamboyant, and everybody knew. He got a bit of grief about it, but he seemed pretty good at sort of deflecting it or laughing it off. It's not like everybody loved him, but he sort of existed in his own sphere. I did, too, come to think of it. I had friends even though I wasn't a jock or good-looking. We tended to have various (occasionally overlapping) worlds.

I knew what "gay" was, and although we would occasionally joke about it, we didn't seem to really find it something worth ostracizing. It was just...not really around us. I didn't have any real clue that I might be gay until I got to college, though. Not sure if that was my brain protecting me, or just me being utterly clueless. I usually assume the latter.

Lex

8. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was at secondary school in the UK between 1978 and 1983. There were close to 1000 boys at my school (and precisely zero girls) and not one boy was anywhere close to being openly gay, myself included.

In the hateful vernacular of the school, AIDS was translated as Anally Injected Death Sentence. That about says it all.

The only advice I found about homosexuality was “its just a phase”, which thankfully I knew, even when I was fourteen, was nonsense.

In the school’s ethos, the only legitimate masculinity was defined by enthusiastic participation in team sports. Every boy – gay or straight – who didn’t sign up to that ethos was effectively marginalised.

This was the norm, not the exception.

9. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Yeah, I don't remember all but maybe a few gayish kids and teachers in high school, but it never bothered me. I wasn't really socially connected, mostly a loner. I had two good friends who made sure I got included in things. Growing up in Connecticut I never really associated being gay with anything all that bad.

Same in college, I don't recall it was a big issue at our liberal Christian university.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Highschool was probably the first time I actually heard/learned about homosexuality and LGBT stuff in general.
    Mostly through 'macho' jokes and bullying by insecure peers.
    Don't think anyone from my year ever came out during highschool.
    Hell the only gay people at highschool I can remember are one lesbian French teacher, one gay History teacher and one gay Biology teacher.
    LGBT issues were generally ignored or used to bully people whether they actually were LGBT or not.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Where was I in high school...

I was having sex daily with best friend. We ere together all through high school. I knew of no other gays, just hot guys I wished were my friends. I was closeted, never harassed.

Later... years later when time ate their closets... there were plenty of gays in high school. Damn 20/20 hindsight. Real cute ones too.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fabulous question. Thank you for posting it.

I was the quiet, smart girl who didn't date and had only a very few close friends and very few casual acquaintances. Senior year of high school you suddenly saw me get all empowered and socially integrated, and maybe wondered what had happened (but probably didn't notice, because you were so used to not thinking about me). When I got moody after the Christmas holiday that year, you certainly didn't guess it was because my first girlfriend (3 years older than I was) had, after initially seducing me, told me she wanted to date guys.

I was also watching no fewer than 4 guys (all guys, interestingly) commit suicide...I wondered about each...their backgrounds were so different. One a decent average student; one a tough with a dickhead for a dad; one a loner like myself whom I'd been friends with in 5th grade and then fell completely out of touch with; one a very popular, very cute guy who had big sensitive eyes. Today I can connect various dots and make a case for each one having been LGBT, and I'll bet I'd be right about the majority. At the time, it was just perplexing and sad.

Oh the 80's.

13. Really

I spent most of high school simply going to classes and home again for the most part. I really, really didn't notice what was going on around me. I think kids were dealing drugs right next to me in one class but that only occurred to me later when I thought about it not because of what I actually saw. Yeah, so quite clueless.
    There was one boy who I think was assumed to be gay. He was active in the drama club and when I hung around there for a while, found him to be entertaining and fun. He didn't appear to be harassed but I later learned that be died shortly after graduating and I had a feeling it was suicide for some reason.
    After a couple of years, I joined the tennis team. Rarely got to play when competing but spent a lot of time watching the girls' single player on our team. I thought it was because she was a good player but now I realize she totally fascinated me.
    I also spent quite a lot if time watching the girl's track team practice. I seemed to be the only one doing that.
    I can't say what if there was any LGBT presence at my school aside from that one boy. It never occurred to me that there might be gay girls there as well.

14. Adam1969

Hey everyone, thanks so much for replying, sincerely! Please dont take my little replies as impersonal. As so many people shared so much I can only give back a little, but our words will be here for others to learn from. We are all teachers...

BMC77

No, its valid! Thanks! I liked HS a great deal but it was def. a F-d up situation. I think your right about aids. At that time I think they called it the "gay cancer". I was too young to be promiscuous but the fear of that kept me pretty nervous-fearful once HS was over. Concerning sports... I had to wrestle this guy once who had a habit of just taking any shirt off the floors and wearing it. Not a positive experience! Concerning the swimteam though... hell yah, that caused me some confusion ate that age cause I pretty much couldn't help but stare at... uh, he hem... SPEEDO ensconced... :***: ! you get the picture! Naaaahhh, I'm not gay... I just love a guy in a speedo more than I was ever interested in Christi Brinkley etc...

Choirboy

Yep, i figured we'd get some bullying stories! I didnt bully anyone different than me after a certain point in HS. I did do some mean shit to other kids in K-8. Not proud! AV club? I had no idea I should have been hitting on geeks had I known! I agree with you testimony on therater-choir people etc. I have lived my entire professional life with these people. I love their energy, passion, creativity etc. I have never presented as "effeminate". I was always accused of being gay because I was so nice to people... they thought "He's too nice to girls to be straight", "He's too nice to guys to be straight!" F-d up eh!? :bang:

looking for me

Yep, were looking at you! I love that image. Its funny to me that I associate as bi and those colors and symbols are to me the most appealing.

Lexington

4000 students!? Christ almighty, thats a big class... makes for about 400 or more gay people right! I'm not surprised to hear another choir-theater story. I believe that some of these people are attracted to this environment for the classic safety in numbers. At least if one had a choir instructor that was gay, there would be some protection against bullying. I bet it was all very closeted still, back then though. The concept of what is GLEE would have not worked at that time. I think I was clueless as well back then and this is why I raised these questions! Thanks! :thumbsup:

malcstep

Yep, you folks across the pond sure do it differently than is yanks! For us "takin a piss" has an entirely different meaning! more seriously... ""AIDS was translated as Anally Injected Death Sentence"" OMG, thats horrible. I do remember this mentality though, along the lines of "only gay men get AIDS". It is sadly a view that many people hold today. And yes, I too heard it was a phase! For me apparently one that would last a lifetime!? Boys school, OMG. I'd better stay away from that! :***: Chalks away old boy! I'm just takin a piss!

kindy14

I too attended one of those liberal christian universities, my brother. (&&&) I was somewhat bothered by the fact that we should accept gay people as gods children but if you so much as thought of kissing a girl you will burn in hell forever. I think we all grow up in different circumstances... I believe that some people can actually be clueless about some of these things. This is why I asked these questions. I realized I have never discussed these topics with anyone!

Linthras

Wow, you attended HS after many of us elderly here. :eusa_danc I'm not surprised that LGBT folk were getting hell though. I think though there are maybe more resources and help for people of your generation and later. I know you've heard these old people stories but... I might have been more inclined to come out or at least face myself if I had had some anonymous online friends to reach out to back then. I literally wasn't aware of transitioning for the transgendered until late in my 20s. No online pointers or rants to let the world know... WE ARE NOT ALONE!!

Now heres something some of ya'll might remember... if they'd had a video on LGBT back then it would have been from the 50's, skipped too much, blurry black and white and the people in it would have been stalkers!? :eusa_doh: Thanks for nothing Principal Skinner!

skiff

Good for you! A better outcome than for many of us. I remember being in HS having hunky guys invite me over and thinking "if I even hint about this attraction I'll lose every friend on the planet!" As I remember these were always guys that I didn't know that well and I thought "sure I'll visit and watch a video or play video pong.":eusa_doh: I had no idae they liked me!

I was such an F-in internalized prude! I'd say I was repressed but in fact I think I was too ignorant of myself and others to have anything to repress!?

biAnnika!

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm often spaced out but I think you were the first woman to reply. As you can testify from a born woman's perspective... were you and your fellow girls ever talking, or harassing, or maybe even befriending any of those "tomboys"? I honestly think that maybe I was so drawn to these girls as somehow I believed they got me on some level... like... "I'm a bit confused too, but lets at least be friends" sort of thing? You must have been crushed finally admitting your feelings for that first girl only to feel later that part of why you admitted your feelings was due to her counsel-guidance and now she dropped her entire self, in your eyes maybe, and joined the "enemy", right?... You must have ended up like a boat without a rudder? Love those run-on sentences!

Hey everybody, I'm sorry I could not delve deeper... these posts will be here for others and ourselves to read. I hope others will share! (&&&)

This serves as a history for all of these "kids" on here and for us elderly to learn about those things we could not discuss online, before there was an "online"! :eusa_doh: (&&&) :smilewave

OMG that took over 90 minutes including several accidental deletions etc... :eusa_doh: :tantrum: ADD!!

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2014 at 10:05 PM ----------

More theater-choir testimony. Thank you so much! I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It must have been sheer torture to be on the receiving end of what I would now consider brutality, probably very dehumanizing for people who experienced it. I understand what you are saying about being fascinated by someone we were not supposed to be fascinated by. I was fascinated by some of those track stars as well. At least it inspired me to take better care of myself. I admired these people so I took up running and all of that as well. It is likely a very large part of why I am alive today! (&&&)

#14 Adam1969, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that LGBT term hasn't been around all that long, but I wish we had terms like that in our vocabulary when I was in high school. Any words to express "gay" were all pretty derogatory terms. The lack of the right vocabulary made it hard not only to talk about it, but to even conceptualize what I was feeling and going through. i can look back now with an understanding of what being gay is now, and see that I was gay then. But I had no way to understand it then. And though I made a pass at a friend, and he made one at me, neither pass connected because we just didn't get it. we discussed the incidents years later and the lights went on. sure wish I had known that we were both gay back then. we definitely would have done something in high school had we known. as it was, I was a virgin when I graduated from college, just from lack of opportunity with men, and no interest in women.

16. Spaceman

Thanks Adam for the trip down memory lane.

In junior high there was one rather effeminate boy who was bullied so much that he had to switch schools. It prompted the school to hold an assembly in an attempt to discourage that kind of behavior, which was pretty progressive for the time. (Sadly, it's still happening today. Just last week in "liberal" Northern California, a 12 year old boy who had been relentlessly bullied after joining the cheerleading squad took is own life.)

Also in junior high, I was in a class where the teacher asked for opinions on some topic that escapes my memory now. I raised my hand and gave an answer that prompted one of the school's "mean girls" to loudly proclaim, "Any guy who thinks that must be gay." I can still remember the awful feeling that I had been outed in front of the whole class.

In my high school of 2000 people, there were no openly gay students and the only time the word gay was used was as an insult. I learned to censor myself to avoid getting tagged with the gay label. Even though my best friend was a girl, I was in the A/V club and I didn't go out for sports, I managed to fit in well enough to avoid suspicion.

I do remember cringing every time someone would use the phrase "that's so gay" which was a frequent occurrence. Each time was another nail in my closet door. It's all very sad in retrospect.

It's great to see all of the progress since that time. Just wish it would have come 20 years sooner.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "What's homosexuality"? my 8 year-old self asked my (slightly) older friends as we walked home from my new (English) school (yes, 8 year-olds actually walked to school, alone!). They looked at each other and said something to the effect that I didn't need to know and they signaled in no uncertain terms that they were not going to discuss it any further. This was my introduction to The Taboo...

Previously, between the ages of 5 and 8 (1965-1968), I spent the first three years of primary school in a French, Catholic, all boys boarding school. I was surrounded by boys, day and night during the school year while coming home only on the weekends; the only women there being the very strict nuns to whom we had to salute, military style, every time we passed by (I kid you not!).

Even then, I remember how I felt about some of my classmates (it proves the truism that we remember feelings much more than thoughts or words), I couldn't describe it, but I knew enough not to mention it in any way, shape or form. I would befriend some of them and that was enough for me.

I guess the main part of the 60's were, for me, about growing up gay without realizing it. I had posted earlier that I would put on little shows at home, I liked to sing, there were other things I did that, in retrospect, would have set off a few gaydar units...but so much else was happening in the world then, and in my own city in particular, it was an amazing time to be living in Montreal in the sixties, a veritable renaissance after the repressive and quasi-fascist, Catholic-dominated provincial government of the fifties.

18. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was in high school and college in the 80s (I'd say I grew up in the 80s but the jury's out as to whether I actually grew up ). I only recently even accepted the fact I'm gay so any sort of coming out back wasn't an issue. It would have been difficult in those days though and added to thing to give me grief about. One interesting thing, though- though my age group grew up in that environment , I think most people my age are now pretty accepting ( outside those with certain religious beliefs). Of course um only out to myself and my therapist, so I may feel differently when I come out more fully

19. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in a Catholic high school in the 80s. One of the teachers was rumored to be gay, but people never seemed to seriously suggest it about any students. (Though a good friend of mine came out as soon as he hit college.)

For myself all I knew was that girls seemed to think the idea of being with another girl was gross and I didn't think that, and I was a little worried about how I felt about one of my female friends, even though I liked and dated guys. But when I told one of the teachers who I was close to she strongly discouraged me from thinking about it and told me my friend would never want a gay relationship.

In college I joined the Gay and Lesbian alliance but as an ally. I'm still not sure why I didn't come out then or at least try dating a woman, but for some reason I didn't. (And to this day sometimes I just think, well, it's because you were straight, stupid!) One thing that was hard was that in those days people didn't talk much about bisexuality except to say it probably didn't exist. So I felt like either I had to be straight or gay and straight was the obvious choice. I still kind of feel that way, after all these years.

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tomboys in my school were mostly athletic (primarily track and field), and my perception/memory was that that was seen as "cool", rather than dykey. I was pretty anti-sport, myself, and so I was not friends with those people...but I was also *not* the type to harass *anyone*. I went to my 20th reunion several years ago, and found that one of the most androgynous tomboys had become this strikingly beautiful, quite feminine woman. I was itching to talk with her and see if I could get a clue about her sexuality...sadly, the conversation never happened.

Yes, the whole kafuffle with my first gf was definitely a dark time. It had started with a brief blissful, heady period of initial discovery and exploration...but quickly crashed and burned. To some extent, I feel I was too hesitant for her taste or what she wanted...but she was also getting a *lot* of pressure from her family to (get this) try sex with men (isn't that rich? I just don't hear that about parents of 19-year old women). I wouldn't say I felt she "joined the enemy"...I didn't consider straight people the enemy...and I was pretty sure she was more of a lesbian than I was (still pretty sure). It just sucked, was all...my first real rejection. But looking back, we were far too different. It would never have worked, and it was better for me to have had that experience and then be quickly shut of her. But at the time "without a rudder" was a pretty darned good way to describe how I felt. My (few) other dating experiences before meeting my current partner were much more positive.