1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a common experience for women coming out of long hetero marriages?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by WakingUp, Dec 11, 2014.

1. WakingUp

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've always been a private person. I was extremely shy as a child but had to learn to come out of that shell when I had kids.

I've always been a bit awkward and I thought it was just me feeling uncomfortable when I have to do somewhat public things like give presentations or facilitate meetings.

After working with a friend who helped me get myself out of a 30 year lifeless marriage I'm starting to question just what all this "awkwardness" is that I have felt all of my life. Being newly divorced I wanted to start dating.

I'm well aware of the fact that I am an opinionated, and somewhat aggressive--though in a more softer, female way, in my work and maybe somewhat in my social life. Many men, including my ex, seem to not know what to do with me. Geesh, sometimes they even seem afraid of me. And I'm really a nice person! But I do know what I want and will do what it takes to make it happen. :slight_smile:

After two years of "therapy" with my friend, he's gotten to know me very well and as I'm talking to him about trying to figure dating out after divorce and he asks me why I'm experiencing so much anxiety over it. He asks me why I'm not letting my circle of friends know I'm now divorced and single. Then he starts talking to me about all of my masculine tendencies. We've talked about them before but I thought I'd come to accept that as just part of who I am.

I asked him if other women didn't have anxiety about dating. He said that usually, no, they had anxieties about BEING DATED. He told me that wanting to initiate dating was one of my masculine tendencies.

Then it hit me...after 30 years of marriage what my lifeless marriage was about.

Of course I'm explaining 2 years of culminated conversation here in 2 minutes. Imagine that we have had a great number of conversations about my masculine tendencies before. It wasn't just this one comment but a wave of realization about all of the masculine tendencies that I have wash over me.

The weird thing is that I have always been open minded about sexual preference. Many of my friends are GLBT.

What's blown me away is how I had somehow managed to sweep this part of me under the rug and it's like someone just shook it all loose.

A little background info: I grew up the youngest in a fairly religious family. When I was a kid there was absolutely no talk about homosexuality. I hadn't even heard of it until I was an adult.

I feel like all the rest of the world knew of my identity, but me. And I still don't know what it is. I think I'm attracted to men who have a lot of feminine traits. I have no idea if I'm really attracted to women or not. I think women's bodies are beautiful and sensual, but who doesn't?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. wanderinggirl

Just having masculine tendencies doesn't mean you're gay or bi; having anxiety about dating is something that anyone can experience. It seems like this is the wrong reason to think you might be gay. It might be related, but it might just be that you are uncomfortable being passive.

Are you actually attracted to women, or are you just justifying your masculine tendencies?

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I am gay. I do not see females as sensual. The curve of a breast does nothing for me. Yeah, I can identufy a pretty woman, but sensual to me, no.

What is all this masculine feminine personality trait talk? You are who wou are, why question it? Be you and you will light up on the radar of people interested in
    YOU.

4. WakingUp

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know, that's what I'm trying to figure out. You're talking to someone who has been suppressing her true self since childhood and staying "safe" in a lifeless marriage for 30 years.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 10:06 AM ----------

Ok, gotcha. That was a broad generalization. Not everyone is attracted to the female form.

I understand, mentally, am who I am. I'm trying to understand that emotionally. Something I am unfamiliar with.

5. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, if you are divorced and single and have the instinct to initiate dates with women... why not initiate some dates with women?

6. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to say that I don't agree with this idea that wanting to initiate dates is a masculine trait and women want to "be dated." I don't think that's anything "masculine" or even all that unusual.

However, if talking about it has given you an insight into yourself that's great, and I get where you're saying you have other "masculine" traits and it makes you think about yourself. I agree with the above advice that if you are interested in women and want to initiate dates with them it's something you should probably try. When I left my marriage I didn't try it, and I wish I had, because I was younger then. Now it's a bit late.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

we definitely need to toss into the trash those old stereotypes of masculine and feminine roles and behaviours. it you want to ask someone out, just do it. we would all be happier if we could just focus on being ourselves!

8. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    womaninamber....age 47 is too late? I hope not as I am 51! I believe it can still happen!

9. OOC73

As long as you can still feel a pulse, there is no such thing as too late. Women are capable of being sexual loving beings well into old age and frequently do.

So don't stop believing!

10. WakingUp

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been back to thank you for your comments. I really appreciate everything you've said.

I'm 53 and if it's too late for me to date women, it's probably too late for me to date men, too. Lol. But seriously, it's not easy getting yourself back into feeling like you are dating material when you've been married for a whole lot of years.

Check out any dating site and men and women are both saying they want someone pretty and fit and the perfect match for themselves. After being in a lifeless marriage for so long, it's easy to think you must not have had these qualities or maybe it would have worked out better. ***sigh*** I know that's not true and I'm telling myself new stories now.

My favorite suggestion was "Well, if you are divorced and single and have the instinct to initiate dates with women... why not initiate some dates with women?"

Thanks nerdbrain. Sometimes it's the simplest answers... I'm working on that. :slight_smile:

womaninamber,

"However, if talking about it has given you an insight into yourself that's great, and I get where you're saying you have other "masculine" traits and it makes you think about yourself. "

That's exactly it. It was like I knew this about myself but I don't think I realized it was so apparent to other people. Duh! When my friend started talking to me about this, I felt like a weight was lifted from my shoulder.

11. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks GoGreen and OOC73! I haven't had much luck meeting women but who knows, maybe that will change.

12. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The woman I'm interested in right now is 13 years older than me, and I see no reason we shouldn't be able to get together! Well, unless she's straight and that really was just a roommate for all those years. Or unless she's just not into me. But I still have a pulse so I guess I have to try. :slight_smile:

13. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I TOTALLY agree.I am the perfect example. My physique is not a very feminine one. Yes I do have curves, and plenty of them, however I also have alot of muscle that quite frankly most women don't. That often would put me in a more masculine appearance. Approaching someone and initiating conversation beyond that of friendship isn't a masculine trait, it comes from confidence or lack there of. Me I can talk to anyone about anything...but ask someone on a date...I'm used to being relegated to the friend role so thats a tough one.