1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't think I could ever meet a woman.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by womaninamber, Dec 12, 2014.

1. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever since college and in fact a bit before, I've been wondering if I liked women. But I never acted on it, partly because I kept telling myself I was straight and just wanted to be bi or gay. I'm sorry if that's an offensive thing to say, because it sounds like I'm some weird groupie of gay people but it's what I thought then and I still think it sometimes. I wasn't and am not angry at men or disgusted with men and I never thought a relationship with a woman would be automatically easier. I just... was really jealous of lesbian relationships and women coming out but felt like I definitely was straight, maybe because I did keep dating men when I could meet them and my life story and history with men didn't sound anything like the narratives of gay women I would hear about or read about. I joined the Lesbian and Gay alliance in college but as an ally. I never really considered that I was bi because relatively few people even talked about it then and it seemed like most people thought bisexuality didn't exist, not that that has changed so much.

Anyway long story short I never acted on it. The only time a woman asked me out I cancelled at the last minute which was actually a really crappy thing to do. (I ended up going out with a guy that night and it was a horrible, chemistry-free date but that's probably a coincidence. I still remember it though.)

But now I'm forty-seven years old and I look older. I feel like there's no hope for me. I have a fairly decent life as far as having a good job that I like but all my friends are online and I have weird hobbies like playing Pokemon (I mean, it's weird when you're my age...) and I just... don't know how to relate to people. When I go to dating sites I want to look at the women a lot more than I want to look at the men but I still can't picture dating anyone I see. I did somehow manage to have three coffee dates with women but I didn't click with any of them so I started thinking maybe I didn't like women after all. (I had a couple with men too though and didn't click with them at all either...)

If I were sure I was gay (which I don't think) it might make sense to try to make my life over, but just having this vague sense of wanting to date women is getting me nowhere, and I might end up hurting someone's feeling even if I did find someone, because I've never tried being with a woman. Maybe it's time to admit that I'm going to be single for the rest of my life and I should just deal with it. I mean I'm almost fifty.

I don't mean to sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself. I have a lot to be thankful for in life. But when I got divorced from my ex-husband over ten years ago I had no idea that I'd still be totally alone by now. And part of why I am alone is that I can't even decide what I really want.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

do you wish that you had stayed with your husband? Anyway, maybe you could focus more on just developing friendships. having a good circle of friends may be more comfortable than trying to decide on a mate. and if one of those friendships leads somewhere else, fine. but make the friendships to have the friendships, and your life will be enriched. being "alone" definitely beats being in a bad relationship.

3. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey WIA,

Some things you said reminded me of some of my own experiences, so I'm going to ask you this:

You mentioned wanting to "look" at the women much more than wanting to "look" at the men on dating sites... Does the draw feel like it's toward looking at the women's pictures (i.e., is that where the anticpation-excitement in the activity is?) or is the interest piqued more when reading their profiles?

The reason I ask is: It is very possible to have a physical attraction but not a romantic interest in a particular sex. Or no (or very little) physical attraction, but actually quite a strong romantic interest in a particular sex. It is also possible to experience sexual but not romantic attraction, period, in general. Or romantic but not sexual attraction, in general.

This can be very helpful: Romantic orientation - AVENwiki

When you married your ex husband, what was the thing(s) that you were drawn to, about him? In other words, what was your basis for feeling like you wanted to marry him? -This may offer some clues. :slight_smile: (To get you started.)

4. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Often I do wish I had stayed with my husband, but there's nothing I can do about that now. Sex was never very good at all for me, which makes me wonder if my sexuality had to do with that, but it probably didn't.

I definitely do want to meet friends, and generally I try not to focus as much on finding a partner but sometimes I start thinking about dating women. But yes, that's very good advice, to focus on friendships. I just haven't had much luck at that either so far unfortunately, though my shyness is to blame for a lot of that.

When I look at women on the dating sites it's about their profiles, because I don't usually find pictures of people on dating sites attractive by themselves. (And I'm not always all that interested in their profiles either really, but dating sites are just like that.) But I will admit that I look at pictures of women on the internet and it has occurred to me that I'm sexually or aesthetically attracted to women but not romantically. But since I find it almost impossible to picture a romantic relationship with anybody, even a "made-up" daydream person, it's hard to tell. I didn't used to be like that, and I ended up in an on-again off-again online "thing" with a guy for years which was a mistake for a myriad of reasons, but it's like that now. I can theoretically picture being with one (female) online friend romantically because she's just such an awesome person but since she definitely doesn't feel that way about me it's kind of a dangerous thought experiment.

It's just frustrating because if I go between "knowing" I'm not straight and "knowing" I am, and it's very hard for me to let go of all this fuss over my orientation and just live even though that's really what I should be doing.

I did feel that I was in love with my husband. He was great to talk to so that was a huge draw, and he was very compassionate which is something I admire in people. And he had good sense of humor and didn't get angry easily.

5. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Well, I'd almost say that you seem aromantic, but for that 1 individual (or two?) you've mentioned. I might explore more of those definitions and permutations of aromanticism you can find under the asexual community's umbrella. You might find something you read which really makes you say, "Ah-ha!" - which clicks.

6. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm... maybe I'm explaining myself badly because I definitely don't think of myself as aromantic. Though I will admit that these days it's hard to picture getting into a romantic relationship with anybody, I remember being in them before and I still want to be in one again, theoretically.

Then again I don't know a heck of lot about it so I'll definitely take your suggestion and look at the definitions.

7. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, you're doing fine; it's my fault. I took the bolded parts above, and came to the conclusion that: 1) You outright state that you don't feel attracted to women romantically; and 2) your description of feeling 'in love' with your husband, didn't quite land on me as sounding terribly in-love, so much as that you just admired his qualities. But, that could be something that just got lost in translation.

So I presumed a little, based on an overall 'feeling' I had.

However, you did mention one (guy?) person that you felt quite smitten with at one point...correct? So if you feel quite sure that you are able to feel truly romantic attraction to some individuals, I apologize for making a bit of an inferential assumption. Consider it merely a guess. :slight_smile:

8. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, it's totally fine, I do totally see where you got that and anyway if I'm going to ask people's opinions based on short internet posts I had better not mind if they give me opinions based on short internet posts.

And it's certainly true that these days it's hard for me to imagine being romantically involved. Maybe Mr. or Ms. Right will show up and prove me wrong. Or maybe I'll decide I don't really care, in which case aromanticism might start to sound accurate after all. (Or maybe I'll continue to be lonely and miserable but I'm going to hope that doesn't happen.)

Anyway I really appreciate the discussion and input, so thank you.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that is ALWAYS the best approach!!! For me, when I have been focused on falling in love, or having a relationship, or being romantically involved, it brought some bad results. I guess that kind of becomes being in love with being in love. But when we are just living life, enjoying friends and casual relationships, that in itself is good enough. And then, if completely out of our control, Mr. Right (in my case) or Ms. Right comes along, then that is good too, but not necessarily better. Good enough is really good enough! :icon_wink

10. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's really part of the problem -- I don't have friends or casual relationships either. I mean I have friends online but not face-to-face, and my few online friends don't really have much time for me these days. I really don't know how to meet people. Also I don't have a car which is a big disadvantage where I live. I'm mostly OK with not having a car because I hate driving but it would be helpful in some ways.

It's good advice though and I try not to be too focused on the fact that I don't have a romantic relationship. Sometimes I'm successful at that and sometimes not. If I had actual friends I think it would be easier because I wouldn't be so lonely.

(I'm sorry if this sounds really self-pitying. I mean like I say I have a lot to be thankful for in my life. But the social aspect, or lack of one, really is pretty hard for me.)

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

not self-pitying at all. we humans are social creatures, and the lack of social contact is genuinely painful. I have what appears to be a relatively OK level of social interaction, but even that is a bit of a farse because it is not people I can be authentic with (ie, not out to them). do you have any public transportation? are there any support groups you could go to? there are also "meet up" sites for folks like us, where they kind of find events that we can go to and see people who share our condition in life.

12. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been to meetings at the Gay and Lesbian Center but the last time I went to a lesbian meetup group I panicked and told myself I was straight and had HOCD and didn't belong there. (I do have OCD but I'd never even heard of HOCD before I came to this website and I don't even really fit the symptoms.) I promised myself never to go back and to stop questioning my orientation. Which sounds like maybe I was just scared of not being straight but I'm not sure why I would be so scared of that. I mean I'm not trying to underestimate homophobia but I've been wondering about myself for a really long time and some people know that already, so if I did come out I think I'd be OK. I think maybe some of it is fear of being bi and having people disapprove of being bi but even when I go to bi meetup groups I feel like I'm a fake and don't belong there.

I used to go to this lesbian bar and put give money to the go-go dancers and touch their skin (when they encouraged me to) but I still told myself that straight women do that kind of thing all the time and I didn't belong there. It sounds like denial but if I've been with men all my life and the relationships were OK except for the sex part maybe it really isn't denial.

Unfortunately even if I changed my mind and wanted to go back I couldn't get there safely on public transportation at night.

Sorry for going on and on.

#12 womaninamber, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. Melanie

Melanie Guest

All of this. I hope you plan to stick around here for awhile and keep reading, particularly in this forum.

For me, once I started questioning strongly enough to search out a discussion forum like this one in the back of my mind I was already pretty sure I was gay. I also knew that I was ready to admit it to myself. It was a relatively brief but tumultuous experience for me to even begin to come to terms with it. I went back and forth a lot. It was a part of what I had to do, though, to become comfortable with the idea that I want to be with a woman rather than a man.

When it comes to cultivating close relationships with people I'm basically a leper, so I dont think I would be able to offer any useful advice in that realm.

14. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely plan to stick around here -- I've had a lot of great discussions and I really appreciate people sharing their stories with me.

The weird thing is that I've been kicking around the idea that I'm not straight since high school, so you'd think I'd have accepted it by now or that I'd at least know for sure. And in college I hung around gay people all the time. But I need to be a little more forgiving of myself I think. After college I spent over ten years involved in a religion that did not allow homosexuality and even after I realized that was completely wrong it still did a number on my brain.

I think one of the things that keeps me from coming out to myself is that I've never had a real relationship with a woman. I mean I know that people can be really sure they're gay (or bi or whatever) without that happening but... maybe I just can't. Although I definitely agree with the advice that I shouldn't focus too much on getting into a romantic relationship, and that being alone beats a bad relationship. It's just hard on me that I think I will never have a partner again. I don't like that very much.

15. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I really think you should focus on the task at hand, as it were.

I think the same thing... that I will never be involved with a woman... maybe for different reasons than you, but if I focus on it, its overwhelming. I'd remove that from the formula for now.

I've had the notion that I am gay rolling around in my head since my first sexual experience with a girl in junior high and then numerous other things over the last 30 years. I know there are people that dont agree that even the culture is oppressive, but I believe thats the reason I was so slow to even do something like consider the possibility. Religion (Christianity) was an obstacle for awhile for me as well. That changed when a friend of mine started challenging my stance on gay marriage.... I was against if you can believe that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and I had some soul searching to do related to that.

I've since reconciled my religious beliefs with my gayness (Matthew Vines, Justin Lee) so I dont feel that thats affecting me much at this point. Who the hell knows with this brain of mine, though. :slight_smile:

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

One thing that I really love about EC is being able to identify with what other people say. It makes me feel less alone, less unique, less like I'm from another planet and that "there is nobody on earth who would love me if they KNEW." It is kind of funny, ironic, encouraging, beautiful (take your choice, all the above) when I read something from a gay woman that is like my experience as a gay man. At first that surprised me, but I've come to see how much we share in common, and how this forum really works kind of like a really good group therapy session. I've been looking for a therapy group, and figured that it would have to be all gay men, but this has really opened up my mind. Melanie's comment above is exactly what I experienced. By the time I started searching for a forum, I was definitely at the transition point. I had already come out to myself four years before, but kept wavering back and forth. Since entering the threads of EC, I am getting so much more comfortable with who I am. I am so grateful to have found EC, for all who are here with me on this journey; and I really take on board Melanie's advice that we keep coming back here, and reading the good advice (and have the sense to realize the advice that is a little off center, which also happens because we're all here because we're struggling with something). The only thing missing is the warmth and love of a group hug! (&&&)

17. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I agree Wildside :slight_smile:

Ive learned so much about myself reading the threads here, and I've lost count of the number of times someone has said something that completely resonated with my experience.

I kinda love how I can see a bit more clearly now where people are at in this journey just because of my own experiences. It makes me feel good that there are times when I feel like I can contribute and be supportive. The more I learn about who I am the better I can support others. Yeah I learn a lot here, but I also hope that I can help others along the way.

Definitely missing that in-person group hug lol!! (&&&)

18. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I totally feel you on so many levels here. I'm still married, and I do love my husband, he's my best friend and we have been through a lot over the years, with family members on his side and mine both succumbing to cancer (both his parents, my dad and grandmother). My recent (past few years) accepting of myself that I'm gay is difficult in itself, but I'm shy as it is, so I don't see myself picking anyone up. I'm cool with my friends, and yes I do flirt but I'm kind of clueless when it comes to telling if someone is interested or just being friendly. I don't have much experience dating wise since I've been in the same relationship since I was 20, and I didn't date much before then either...really just hung out with friends as a group.

But as I am in the same boat in meeting people, I'm here to meet new people anyway, so maybe we can talk about these things and be clueless together.

19. Wildside

Wildside Guest

we really do need an emoticon of a boat full of people. or maybe the ark, with all the animals. you know, it's crazy, and there are all kinds, and it can be a bit stinky, but it's better than any alternative! glad that you're in the boat with us. and in the absence of a boat emoticon, (&&&)

20. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    I don't want to turn this into an unusualness competition (I would win in any case), but you would not be the only grown-up person to like Pokemon, really...there are quite ordinary blokes who play pitched battles with little plastic army men...there are guys who like 'my little pony' and they have their own club to celebrate it...people like all sorts of fairly harmless things.
    I'm 46, I live alone so sometimes talk to either my cat or my rabbit...now that is odd. But there's nothing wrong with being different, to be honest. Playing pokemon at your age, is probably not as unusual as you think, but even it it were, what's wrong with being different? Some folks like to attend boxing matches, and to see guys give each other blows that can lead to acquired brain injury later in life. Compared with such a hobby, your liking for Pokemon seems pretty positive, does it not? People like all sorts of things.