1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm 36 and married....why have I only started realizing I'm probably gay now

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BlackCat3929, Dec 18, 2014.

1. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The last few years have been somewhat of a rollercoaster to use a bad cliche. But it seems that ever since my dad passed away I've begun to question everything I've ever done in my life. I've been with the same man since I was 21, and after a failed pregnancy in 2011 (unrelated but shows the timeframe) more often then not I found myself regretting being intimate. Which never happened before. I'd always had what I thought was a normal and healthy sexual appetite, but after I lost the baby its like some switch was flipped. I started to come to grips with my attraction to women. I've always had a difficult time making friends because I'm shy around people I don't know, so its held me back more often then not. With that said, my friends are HIS friends, so I basically don't have anyone to talk too about this and its depressing sometimes to think about. I'm not one to casually seek an affair, I'm not that type of person anyway, but on a whim yesterday I went to a strip club. I drive by it everyday during my commute to work (the route I take to the freeway goes right by it) so I said what the hell. Not only did I have a great time, but I had to control myself...because that pretty much was a huge red flag in me confirming I'm probably gay in how I reacted to the girl and now I feel "buyers remorse loneliness" because I've no one to talk to. Sorry if this post is a rant, it's not been a good day.

2. Really

Don't apologize for your "rant". This is rant central. That's how it works. There are a number of married and soon-to-be-not-married women here whose stories you can read and share. Search out the the thread "this has NEVER happened before". Lots of good discussion.
    I must just say, though, that you going into a strip club is gutsy! If you've got that kind of nerve, you should be fine!

3. AndyG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am nowhere near a place in my journey to offer advice, however when it comes to empathy I have truckloads. EC is an amazing resource for what you're going through and the questions/thoughts/concerns you may have.

As for the title you gave this thread.. If it were mine it would read the same with a 50 in place of the 36. I know in my case I am letting age get in the way of any true resolution. So perhaps any emphasis on years should be put aside so that we can concentrate on days; specifically today and then the next... And it sounds like you may have started a new and very brave journey.

I wish you all the happiness in the world.

-AG

4. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also had a miscarriage and it was a big part of why I started questioning my life. I think an event like that brings home to you what's really important.

It's been a rough journey for me and I'm still not where I want to be. But I agree that you're really brave to be honest with yourself.

This is a great place with lots of people to talk to, I really hope you can find the help you need.

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

You know, I think that really is something about us people in the closet. Our energy goes into hiding who we are, and there isn't anything left. Well, I mean what personality do people get to see when we have to hide who we are? So, I have had a difficult time making friends too, and my "friends" have always been either work colleagues (who forget me the moment I transfer) or HER friends. And so the terrible loneliness and nobody to talk to. Until I found EC. And until EC led me to taking a risk and coming out to my best friend from high school, who I found out is now out of the closet, and of course is also gay. It took me a lot longer to come out to myself, to admit that I was gay, than it has for you. but I wonder if it would have happened sooner if the internet had been around then. I think that bit by bit, as we find people to come out to, to be honest with, it gets easier to talk to people and to come out. I actually started by coming out to people I felt sure wouldn't talk, which could be a professional counsellor or a priest. we have to start somewhere. the silence will kill us. (&&&)

6. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Dang! I want to go to a strip club! Plenty of em where I live... maybe I will muster up the courage one day :slight_smile:

Just wanted to welcome you and wish you all the best on your journey.

7. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thank you. I came out two of my cousins, younger sister, mom and husband as bi (I wont say 100% lesbian because I do love him and we are married, but I know if I wasn't married...it wouldn't be a question). I wouldn't call that gutsy, because I felt like it was a cowardly move. I can do that because there are no strings and no emotions. I'm just another body to them.....BUT today in the gym...come to find out that not one but three of the girls from the club I went to work out there. Made more sense as to why they looked at me as if I was familiar to them. I swear the girl who gave me a lap dance stepped onto the elliptical next to me, but I was almost done with my 45 minutes. Believe me that resulted in me overdoing the weight set and cold cold shower AT HOME. (Before you ask I do work out five times a week, but I'm not a gym rat, I'm halfway through trying to loose 100lbs...lost 60 so far and have another 40 to go. I am buff though, so it does get attention).

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

oh, it ain't no thing. actually pretty boring. just a bunch of women jumping around and showing their bodies to a crowd of drunks. unless you're into women, that is :roflmao:

9. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to go to a lesbian bar that had scantily-dressed gogo dancers. I would go put money in their thongs, and tell myself that straight women do things like that all the time.

(I kind of want to go back, but for various reasons I'd probably better not.)

I wouldn't mind going to a strip club but the ones around here don't look like very nice places.

10. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

thank you. :lol::lol:

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

on a more serious note, I always wanted to go to a male strip club, but I thought that they were all oriented toward women, and that gay guys would be frowned upon.

12. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There arent many female only in Phoenix and plus I live a good distance from the club districts. I did go to a lesbian bar in Seattle last summer when I was home visiting family. I was on Capital Hill and just went in for a beer and lunch with my younger sister. She did drama queen bs and left and I shook my head as an older sister not wanting to deal with her pretty bitch drama queen antics and ended up having a two hour conversation with the woman sitting next to me.

#12 BlackCat3929, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  13. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When they were first becoming a thing, I never heard of any guys being in them except the strippers, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that has changed. At least I hope so. (I've never actually been to one and I didn't realize they still existed.)

My late father's girlfriend once went to a (female) strip bar to get a drink and one of the girls came over and offered her a lap dance. (I think my dad told me the story because he thought I should do it too. Man, I miss my dad.)

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

LOL! sounds like your dad was a really cool guy! well, I guess in some of the bigger cities (San Francisco? New York?) maybe they have male strippers oriented toward gay men. but I guess I'm kind of past that stage anyway. I would rather just spend an evening talking with a nice guy, or cuddling and staying warm on a cold night. but if there had been places like that a few decades ago, I would have definitely wanted to check it out (!)

15. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

I actually planned on just watching and tipping. But the girl who got on stage when I was at the bar getting my drink was in painfully high heels. I felt bad for her so I tipped her $20 just because. She came to me and gave me nor one but three dances and took me to the didnt know what to do with myself. But believe me when I say I did things ive only fantasized about before. And I agree...I do miss my dad as well. He passed in 2010 but I know damn well I'd probably be out to him and staying with him if he were still here.

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2014 at 09:20 PM ----------

DAMN TYPOS! I should not use my tablet to post!

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2014 at 09:23 PM ----------

DAMN TYPOS! I should not use my tablet to post!

#15 BlackCat3929, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  16. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Woah. That's awesome. I really wish I had the nerve to do that.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but sometimes I've actually thought about hiring a sex worker. I have a friend who is a sex worker, though she doesn't live near me and anyway hiring my friend would be very awkward. But she told me it didn't sound like a bad idea.

17. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This has been an interesting discussion to sit and read through. I have a thought on the initial trip to the strip club. I have found myself going to places where gay print material is sold and checking to see who the check out clerk is. If the clerk seemed like a trusting sort (usually female) then I would purchase something that was gay specific. For me it was like a nonverbal way of "coming out" without actually coming out.

18. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Yeah ... says you! :slight_smile:

lol

Ive been to one back in the day (Chippendales), and I could swear that most of the dancers were gay... go figure.

19. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I'll bet that the dressing rooms there were a blast!!! well, for people like me :icon_wink

20. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile: What exactly did I do Wednesday night? I have DEEP scratches all over my back. Don't think they just mysteriously appeared. Guess I wasn't too bad as a rookie.