1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing to move out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BeingEarnest, Dec 18, 2014.

1. BeingEarnest

Today I put down the deposit to rent a town home beginning in the new year. It feels like a big step, and a positive one. When I came out to myself, and to my wife earlier this year, I could not possibly imagine I would be in this place. I hoped at the time that if I could just accept this part of myself, I could be at peace with myself and go on with what has been an otherwise wonderful marriage. We were and are compatible in so many ways. What I did not realize was that being gay isn't a part of me, an aspect that I can just set aside (I learned that the hard way) it is deeper than that. The last months have been harder- because we do care for eachother. We are reminded daily of what we used to have, and torn by the reality that it is now different in a fundamental way. We would have days when it felt like it used to, and then reality would boomerang around and leave us emotionally shredded.

It feels oddly sane to be separating at this point.

I took my son to the new place yesterday. He is taking things better than expected. He says he is sad about the divorce, but will like having two different rooms, and two homes. He also said 'I am proud of you' a couple of times as we talked about the changes.

There are moments when I am deeply sad, and I am sure I will be when I move out. There are moments when I am hopeful. There are moments when I am afraid- for financial and emotional reasons.

For those of you who have gone through this stage, what helped you the most?
    Thanks.
    Earnest

2. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes I feel so much like this its frightening. My husband has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. I hope to get your courage at some point but i'm not there yet. He was widowed at a young age so I almost feel guilty that I am breaking his heart for my own happiness. I feel torn in not leaving him. But in order to not get a divorce, I have to clamp down on my feelings toward women and its getting harder every day.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose what helped me the most was to focus on the things to come, and to put behind me the things that I no longer had. It goes deeper than that...it goes to the idea of possession...we never really possess the things that are most valuable to us: our relationships. If we can accept that most unacceptable of things: that nothing in the sphere of interpersonal relations ever actually belongs to anyone, it makes letting go that much less painful. It's like receiving a fragile crystal vase and knowing that it is already broken, and in that sense its beauty, while still intact, is that much more intense...

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been learning how to cook. Never really cooked before. Make progress each week and find it very therapeutic. Helps me focus on my thoughts and reinforce my independence.

5. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh My Gawsh! I have this overwhelming urge to reach through the computer and give you a huge hug.(*hug*)
    I have pondered so many times what that moment would be like. I wish I could offer support some how, but know that you have friends here.(&&&)

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

All's I can offer is a huge CONGRATULATIONS!!! I ain't there yet, but as I read your words I can imagine it. The knowledge of doing the right thing, what had to be done; the regret for what is lost; the hope for what is to come. And I can offer this: (*hug*)

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i focused on my son and making my house mine,i kept the house. later i started consentrating on getting out in the community, both the LGBT community and the "regular" community.

8. BeingEarnest

BlackCat- I don't know that it is courage- at this point it seems like the natural course of actions. It is our hope that we will continue to be best friends and cooarents regardless of the change.

GW- thank you for your insight and experience. The idea of possession keeps coming up in this process. It really does mean living in a different way.

OTH- cooking is a great idea. We had a difficult day the other day, and at a loss for something I can do, I cooked. Thank you.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

natural course of actions, yeah, that makes sense to me. I can get so worked up about what should be happening and went. but it is a process, and some small decisions lead to results, outcomes, and other decisions, kind of like knocking over the first domino in the line. eating the elephant, to use yet another cliche, one bite at a time.

10. BeingEarnest

Following up, today we made the call to a lawyer to find out what steps we need to take during the separation. Afterwards, we went to our respective rooms to weep. As I look back at what has changed in the last 9 months, one of the most significant, and hardest to handle, is that we can no longer comfort eachother as we used to do. It used to be that grief shared between us lightened the load, now it magnifies it. When I see her in pain, it causes me pain. And when I reach out to her, it makes her pain even more severe.

I hope, that when I have moved out, it may ease the tension between us, or at least enable us to move on.

I had my therapy session today as well. My therapist says the packing up to move out can really hit you.

I know I will need help to move out, especially with furniture. I am having a hard time to think of who to call. The friends we have here are mostly my wife's friends. I had really shut myself off in recent years as I withdrew into the closet. I am feeling sad about the move, but also sad about what was lost all those years I tried to be something and someone I was not. There was always the feeling that I didn't measure up. I hope that this change in my life will help me see myself in a new, more honest, and compassionate light. I hope it will be a time to figure out who I am- in a way I had not done before.

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I have been so close to splitting twice before. first in 1986, when I actually filed the divorce papers that were served on her by a sheriff. and then again in 2010, when things seemed to be bringing down under the weight of our non-relationship. both times, seeing her pain, her grief, was overwhelming. not being able to comfort her was agonizing, just seeing another human being in such grief and feeling like I was the cause. so both times, I pulled back from the brink, and the one lasting effect was tremendous resentment on her part. the last time, she said that the third time would be the end. but as I read what you're going through right now, BeingEarnest... Well, I will continue to follow your journey. the light that is at the end of your tunnel may eventually shine on us all. I hope.

12. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BeingEarnest, for me taking the step to move out was to try and save my sanity and give me some space. It was so hard living together after I had come out to her. It felt 'normal' but there was just this huge cloud hanging over us, as if we were just waiting for the storm to break at any point. Once I'd moved out - I rented a furnished apartment and basically left everything in the house - it gave us both space and time to adjust. It has taken months but we have routines now where we meet and spend time together with the kids, or together as friends. It's still difficult for her, but it is getting better. She can see that when I said I'd still be there to keep them safe, secure and be part of their lives, I meant it and will continue to do that. She still means such a lot to me and I still care about her deeply.

13. BeingEarnest

I spent the last two days sorting through household items with my wife, and boxing things up. It all feels surreal, but also very real. One moment I am highly emotional, and the next, calm and clear.

My son has been positive about the move and the step I am taking in life. He keeps saying I'm proud of you. I know he struggles as well. But it seems that he knows without doubt that we both love him, and will continue to care for him, even in this new situation.

14. MOGUY

Earnest,
    I feel for you and your family. Please keep us updated as to how you're doing, buddy.

15. BeingEarnest

Today was the first day on my own. My family left for the week while I pack up my things and move into my new home. I had an honest and open conversation with my wife last night. It was painful, but it has all been painful. We love each other, and yet everything has changed since I came out. It was clear how big a gap there is between us. We left it with the sense that we are on the right path.

It is such a strange feeling. I feel like I can just take one step at a time. Focus on what is in front of me. I have to keep reminding myself to breath.

I gathered the courage to call on some friends. It was incredibly hard. A part of me wants to curl up in a ball.but I am glad I called them.

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

hang in there, Earnest. you're doing it!!! one step at a time is all you can do. keep breathing! we're all in your corner. you're not alone. everyone is rooting for you. (&&&)

17. BeingEarnest

I am surprised at how this first week on my own is going. The first day apart was gut wrenchingly painful, and that night I let it out in a way I have not before. Gradually, as the days have gone by, I feel a peace I have not known. Phone calls and messages with my wife have been friendly, and without the tense feeling of anxiety that we have had over recent months. Oddly I feel closer to her apart right now.

Packing has gone well, and I begin moving things into the new home today. Several friends offered to help with the move. This is remarkable because I felt absolutely paralyzed to tell people about the separation and move. As it turns out, my son tells people quite liberally, and they have responded with kindness.

My son asked if he could spend the first couple of nights in the new home as well. I had originally planned to have him come when things were all set up, but he wants to be there for the first days . I am amazed.

Last night, New Year's Eve, was the first one I spent on my own in years. I decided to go to a gay bar for the evening. I am so glad I did. It was pretty low key, most people were probably out at parties. But I felt happy. Peaceful happy, just being in the presence of the other men. I had good conversations, and saw some people I had seen before. It is a friendly place, and the regulars greet each other with hugs, friendly and mostly appropriate touches, and kisses on cheeks. In the past, I sat there admiring the spirit that was there. (I never saw that at a straight bar.) last night, several of the men patted me on the shoulder, gave me a hug, and one a kiss on the cheek. This was a first for me. I am not sure what the difference was, why tonight and not other nights before, but I really liked it.
    2014 was radically different than I ever expected. A year ago, I had no idea I would be acknowledging or accepting that I am gay, that I would be starting a new job, separating from my wife, ... And so much more. As painful and stressful as it has been, I am thankful. I feel more human, more alive, more in touch with my feelings and body (I felt like I was in a deep shell before I came out.) I enter this new year with a sense of hopefulness. There will be dramatic changes, and I don't know that I am ready for them. But I am trusting it will all work for the good.

18. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    this is what makes me feel it is all going to be OK … he is supporting everything and will be a good moderating force between you and your wife..

I think 2015 is going to be amazing for you..!

19. BeingEarnest

I am settling into my new home. It is a different rhythm of life. I do things differently when I am on my own. Perhaps this is a part of discovering who I am in a new identity.

As I tell friends that my wife and I have separated, they have been sympathetic. Almost all have been through divorce. They do not pry, but their responses show that they expect that my wife and I had difficulties. I wish I could just say, it's not because we don't get along- we love and care for each other. It is because I am gay. It is because I want wholeness in my life- to not feel like I am cut off from my own body. But I am not yet fully as to be out.

20. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, everyone knows that if there is divorce, there was some pain and a lot of incompatibility, so the details don't matter. not everybody needs to know that it was due to incompatible sexual orientations. I love the times that I have had alone, and find it a good time to get to know who I am and what I like to do, rather than always thinking what the other person would like to do. good luck with all these changes.