1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Adolescence?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OOC73, Dec 21, 2014.

1. OOC73

I can't be the only one who has discovered herself and turned into a hormonal teenager in the process can I?

I often felt like my own adolescence was tempered and got stuck, because I never really got over the feeling of being awkward or uncomfortable with the whole hetero thing but that's what everyone did so I did a passable impression of one to fit in whilst tackling a couple of major life events during my teenage years (between 15-16 particularly because I lost 3 grandparents, two in quick succession and one a few months later and my absent father made some sort of reappearance during the same period). I launched into my sex life as a grieving teenager who just wanted some part of her life to be "normal and uneventful".

I made my first stab at coming out when I was 16 too, told a couple of people I thought were friends who dismissed it as attention seeking or a phase - then confided in a much older gay family friend who I trusted. About a week after I told him my mum was laying in bed one day when she asked if I had ever thought about being with a woman and then said she had. I immediately assumed family friend had spilled the beans and muttered something about "well that's you isn't it" and ran away as fast as possible.

Fast forward 25 years. Here I am, five months into "the dawning age of realisation" and basically being emotionally thrown back into the teenage phase I never really experienced.

Last weekend, my husband and I got a little drunk and sat watching Taylor Swift videos on YouTube while I kinda drooled and went on about how cute she is. Apparently I was stroking her face at one point... So perhaps "little drunk" might be an understatement. DH said he had never seen me so glowing and happy...

Her new album is a virtual constant companion of mine at the moment, it's like its almost speaking to me - and I'm experiencing massive goofy crushes all over the place. My hormones are exploding.

I recently got involved with a woman in similar circumstances to myself. It was six weeks of incredibly intense connection, but I recently called it off because she really wasn't ready to do more than have me be a secret bit on the side for a bit of sexting and mutual support.

I've been emotionally sterile for years and years and years. And all of a sudden its like my world is exploding into colour and endless feels! Some of it is sad feels because of the inevitable ending of my marriage as it was - but a lot of it is virtually euphoric joy and relief at finally having the freedom of my own mind and the security of knowing the root of my truth.

My reality is that I'm a fairly knackered mother of 3 who is trying to hold it all together in the midst of all these amazing and conflicting emotions - I've never felt more as though I was a teenager in my life - yet I have the life experience to appreciate the emotional roller coaster for what it is.

I don't want it to wear off - it's too amazing. But I know at some point reality will crash back in as we go through the process of finding our paths now and I don't ever want to lose myself as badly as I did ever again.

Anyone else felt this way when in the acceptance process? Like the emotions just won't stop coming?

:tears::eusa_doh::eusa_danc:icon_bigg

2. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely not the only one! Welcome to the club! :icon_wink

3. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Hey OOC73 I can definitely relate!

It feels good, doesn't it. For the first time in my life I feel like I can love and be loved. Its scary in some ways for me because of other things not related to being gay, but at least I have a layer of "screwedupness" (yes its a word... no, not really but who cares!) removed so I can tackle the next issue. :slight_smile:

Yeah I started crying when I realized I could love someone... that I was capable and I wasn't just this completely flawed human being... when I realized that I actually desired to be close to someone and it felt good. It doesn't feel like a chore or a situation where I am constantly forcing myself to feel happy.

I no longer feel shame over finding women beautiful or being attracted to them.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, it is not your second adolescence - it is your FIRST!

You simply evaded it till this point.

What you consider your "first" is in all probability a very bad "acting" job. :slight_smile:

Now... the true "first" for straights has limitations and role models (parents, society, rules), you were a minor. You have NONE of those brakes as an adult. You can run into a wall at 100mph and nobody can stop you.

I have seen the regrets after the fact. You have to guide this adolescence all by yourself so buckle up and drive safe.

5. Melanie

Melanie Guest

... in a manner of speaking *snicker*

Yes, I'm 12.

6. OOC73

Oh hell, the responsibility!

I've plenty of those to keep me from veering too close to the edge, but I have to admit the temptation to jump does get strong from time to time, (in the liberating sense).

Absolutely spot on with the acting job analogy, although I did get a decent passing mark for drama at school so pretending to be something I wasn't was something I had rudimentary skills in from an early age.

I managed to get to 40 by doing such a good acting job I nearly had myself convinced!

There's just this fundamental and solid shift in me, that nothing can spoil. It's killed any pretence. Finding the balance between me and my situation is now my biggest challenge. I just don't have the time/ability to confidently leap - so I'll have to slide myself down the side of the cliff sat on my butt and taking my time till I reach the ground.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ummm....

Leaping is an act of faith, no guarantees.

Where is my warranty anyways? All I can find is a damn "best before" date and that is in code!!!

Tom

8. OOC73

Best before dates are only ever a guide anyway - if it's not dried up and it's not totally stale it's usually edible!

It's the use by date that's the one you need to keep an eye on.

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well...

The "use by" date is oddly placed. Requires second person to read it. LOL

10. VioletSpark

Oh. Em. Gee.
    This post made me tear up because finally, FINALLY someone put into words what my body had been putting me through the past few weeks!

Whoever said this isn't a second adolescence, but a first, is correct. I know I skipped all the trials and tribulations that come with adolescence the first time around, too busy, too deep in denial, too whatever. And now, the simple fact that there are possibilities is incredibly overwhelming.

This forum has been a fantastic find, in so many ways, and now with this thread? Thank you for making me feel less like a freakishly-oddballish-confusion-filled-30-year-old-teen!

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

definitely a FIRST adolescence. back when everyone else your age was going through their adolescence, you were too busy being someone you really weren't, or better to say perhaps that you were busy NOT being who your really were! Enjoy your adolescence. I was 42 when I finally went through it. oh my, those raging hormones

12. OOC73

HAHA! I won't specu(lum)ate how one goes about reading yours because... Well...I'm currently indulging in a small glass of mind-bleach...

You are SO welcome! Girls are awesome aren't they???!!!?? :grin: :eusa_danc - I'm just waiting for the acne and the urge to slam a few doors to hit me now. I want to put up Taylor Swift posters and sing into my hairbrush.

You know the more I think about this, it's actually more true than I realised. When I was a teen I was very much "the adult" in my family - caring for my grandma when my grandad died, supporting my mother through one in a long line of failed divorces/relationships, supporting my mum when she couldn't cope after losing both of her parents reasonably close together, and dysfunctional at school because I felt so alone and misunderstood.

I never got to be a teenager because I was restricted and repressed and forced into an adult state I wasn't capable of handling.

Wow. That's deep. Dug a little hole right there. :eusa_clap

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First adolescence while skipping the stupid mistakes you might have made had it been at the proper time! Just recoginize, you are in an adolescent phase, where others might thing your crazy!
    Enjoy it, be safe, even this phase does pass.

14. OOC73

Do I have to skip the stupid mistakes? They aren't compulsory? *damn*

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Hell no!!! Make all the stupid mistakes you want! That's part of the fun. :music:

16. OOC73

I'll get right on with it then!

17. Wildside

Wildside Guest

:thumbsup:

18. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me clarify - stupid "life threatening" mistakes :rolle:

19. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

I can relate, I never really got to be a "teenager" because of my sexuality and social awkwardness. I denied myself the happiness I deserved until I finally came out at 19, and now I'm 21 and still catching up on a lot; I still have never had a boyfriend, and the nuances of dating might as well be rocket science as far as I'm concerned. It's a little frustrating at times, but at least I'm having my time now. And not all is lost to those displaced years, for all I know in another two years I might feel like the luckiest bastard on the planet haha Best of luck to OP :slight_smile:

20. Pie

Pie Guest

I feel like I don't even know what adolescence is...