1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any New Dolly Parton Fans?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Wildside, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I was never a big fan of Dolly Parton until today's big news story about her calling out anti-gay christians, and proclaiming that she loves everybody, us included. I love you Dolly!!! (*hug*) Every little thing like this helps us. And interesting what she said about how even some people in her family will never be able to come out of the closet. Anybody else a new fan of her today? or even a bigger fan of her today?

2. Adam1969

Dolly's balls are bigger than her boobs! She has been a take no prisoner kind of gal since the 70s. She has been openly supportive of gays since that time. Her support of LGBT folk has at times resulted in people accusing her of being gay. Which she very confidently laughs off! She is country music royalty and she does not suffer fools! Also, at one time the wealthiest country music singer alive! No one F*cks with Dolly, especially not rednecks!

As a writer she penned Whitney Houston's hit "I will always love you". If you know about Dolly's life you'll find the song is far deeper than just one more pop ballad!

My favorite Dolly story... when people criticize her unique fashion sense she recounts a story from her childhood... apparently there was one woman in town whose make up and style of dress she admired the most... she thought "I want to be just like her"! Later she learned the woman was the town whore... Apparently, Dolly found no reason to hold that against her though as her fashion sense was still the best in town! Dolly is an incredibly successful business person an

#2 Adam1969, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People look at me like this :eek: when I tell them that I believe Dolly Parton to be a music-composing genius (let alone country music, and I'm not the only one). Just listen to her song Jolene:

[YOUTUBE]qGEubdH8m0s[/YOUTUBE]

Wonderful woman and a great supporter!

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I went to a church fundraiser in Richmond Kentucky about 5 years ago, that featured Dolly performing. I was in the third row back. Wow, phenomenal. She talked about that song, and than sang it. OMG, it was so powerful. and she told that story about how she wanted to look like the hooker. what a funny story. and true. from the time she was a little kid, she didn't buy into the judging people crap. well, I believe her.(!)

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  6. aboutface

Regardless of her music (which I personally am a fan of), Dolly Parton has always struck me as a person full of compassion and love and humor, and it seems to be reflected in the way she has lived her life, so her position isn't surprising to me really. Still great for her to continually step out and say it, the cross section of country music fans certainly includes a good number of those who will disagree with her position.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

at that fundraiser, she also told the story of her song Joleen, which was about a marital crisis in which her husband was running around with the woman described in the song. so yeah, she supports us because she cares, not because she is one of us as some people say.

8. Adam1969

Hmm, my post didnt fully post. :eusa_doh:

I likely just prattled on more about Dolly!? :icon_bigg

9. shadowraptor

I've always been a Dolly fan, she seems like a fun, interesting and genuine person and I'd love to meet her. I don't listen to much country but I do love me some of her music, "Jolene" has to be one of my favorite songs!

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't say I'm a new fan because I was a fan before, not of her music but her role in
    "Nine to Five". Don't get me wrong, she has an excellent voice, just not a big country fan in general. I'm glad she said what did.

11. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Dolly Parton is one of my friggin idols. I think shes an amazing human being, and I reallly love her music. I think my favorite song of hers is Coat of Many Colors.

If you havent seen For the Love of Dolly, I'd highly recommend it. It shows what a stunningly compassionate and loving human being she is. Shes one of the few people on this planet where I can honestly say I wish I was more like her.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say I'm a new Dolly fan, but I'm definitely a fan. I honestly think she's one of the few public figures out there who where there Christianity both publicly and well. I think she's a wonderful artist and a wonderful person.

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

personally, I think she is a great example of what real Christianity is really about. And coming from eastern Tennessee, that is even more impressive. I'm sure that there are those fundamentalists who will just instinctively condemn her, but those are people who won't listen past their prejudices no matter what. But I also think that there are a lot of people whose minds will be changed because they will reconsider based on it coming from DP. A real example of what it means to love your neighbor. :eusa_danc

14. forestguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love Dolly Parton. She's just so grounded and sincere and I really wish I had the courage she has to just be herself. I respect her so much as a person and an artist (she's written all of her songs as far as I know). I love country music in general so she really is pretty much my idol.

This is my all-time favorite video of her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWNcWVxprDA

You should also check out the movie A Smokey Mountain Christmas from the 80s. It's super cheesy, but this part always makes me choke up haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRKVaaoyUHw&index=1&list=PLzcr7_xwwN_sirQLy9PHe9f9uVPNoi4rx

15. Adam1969

Yes, she does change minds. The concept of "country music royalty" is not to be underestimated. Plain folk know that she was born plain and they respect and admire her. Some will write her off but mostly people will say, "Hmm, shes like me and I need to consider what she says."

Go listen to lyrics of the songs we have mentioned here. They are impressive and deep poetry. "I Will Always Love You" is not about a rock star who falls for a bad actor. Its about her mentor Porter Wagner, who gave Dolly her fame and then shit on her as he did to every anjenu (sp?) he partnered with. He vowed to ruin her career yet he died nearly broke and she accumulated unheard of wealth and fame. This song Is a beautiful testament to a persons ability to love even the unlovable! Coat of many colors... its about finding pride in what would cause most people embarrassment... oppressive poverty. Even 9 to 5 was a controversial political statement in its day!

So if this is how she feels about a-holes and ratty dress, how do you think she feels about gay people whom she loves!? Shes been supporting gay people she befriended in her business since the 70s. She needs to be viewed by the LGBT community as country musics Cher! (&&&)

Lets discuss her Gingham skirts! :eusa_doh:

#15 Adam1969, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great words here! I think the perfect word to describe her approach is moxie.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

There can be condescension in some areas toward those who admire, let alone like, country music because it's not cool. I generally don't like it when it gets too twangy, but some songs, as you say, are stellar and those are the ones you remember. For me, it would be this one and not because of the topic. I was sitting there at work late one night during the holidays, having completely forgotten about this song, and someone at work had lent me some CDs to listen to, one of which had Christmas music. It was the totality of the quiet in the office, the weather outside, and the whole vibe of this song that made me realize Dolly Parton is indeed very talented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pttkAyWvAhU

#16 Tightrope, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  17. White Knight

I never listened Dolly Parton songs other than 9 to 5 which I love so much. Her voice is brilliant but country music ain't popular around here so don't know her musical works much.

I liked her movies and her personality. That declaration didn't surprise me at all. Just a Dolly thing to do.

Great Whale thanks for the song... I love it. (*hug*)

18. Adam1969

Is "moxie" Yiddish? Either way, I laughed so hard when I looked this up online and it read... ""When someone has guts or balls, they have moxy"" I agree, her balls are bigger than her boobs!

19. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Dolly Parton has balls??? that would make her one of us!!! LOL!!! :lol: Well, in her heart, she is one WITH us!!! (&&&)