1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas Day with my ex

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Penpal, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Penpal

Am I mad! Tomorrow I am spending Christmas Day with my ex and my boys. I must do it for my boys but it's going to be tough.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been to two Holiday events with my ex and her family, she did her best to bait me...when I did this all three kids looked at me to see how I would react, the tension was palpable, but I kept my mouth shut, except to swallow the food.

The kids hate it when we fight, divorced or not. It takes a superhuman amount of control on my part to keep quiet, but I get the satisfaction of letting her display her ugly side for all to see and without result.

Be strong!

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have concluded to avoid the traditional historical holidays together. The discomfort is apparent on everyone; and no one enjoys it. Instead, I am working to establish new traditions with my kids apart from my ex. Last week, I made dinner for them to celebrate Hanukkah. Today and tomorrow, they are spending Xmas with their mom. Then Friday and Saturday, they will be with me again. The old family traditional get togethers were lovely, but creating new traditions will be even more fun, as they will be on my terms.

4. Penpal

Got through it! Emotional roller coaster but I'm still here! The children had a lovely day and that's what it's about.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I had a loving chat with my wife and kids today. I could feel the love over the phone.

I did something right there... a gay man who married an angel. :slight_smile: or did I just love them just right...?

Maybe lemons can be made into wine. In regards to wife and kids I am ok.

Maybe we all can be OK if we look for that door and pass through it.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well done, penpal! we're proud of you!!! we sacrifice ourselves for our kids, and you saved them from what could have been bitter memories that would have come back to them at every Christmas. It's so tough!

8. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a Xmas with my ex-bf and his family. We get on well enough, but for some reason he and his brother decided to argue over their respective political positions just at the time when the meal was served. Mother decided to leave early & we did not exchange presents. The presents are supposed to happen today, but not the nicest Xmas I have had.

I am happy you went through yours without too much drama, well done :slight_smile:

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

sorry to hear that your day was trashed, LooseMoose. I'm sure you (and everybody else) didn't see that coming. Of all the things to fight over! (&&&)