1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinhold Messner: Badass Mountain Climber

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Dec 25, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings and Happy Holidays!

From C.G. Jung the following quote resonates:

I have always been inspired and amazed by guys who defy the odds and put a chokehold on life itself, refusing to yield to what everyone else has called "impossible". I have over the years accumulated a number of exemplars to guide me. Men like Churchill, Shackleton, Einstein, Faraday, and many others have shown the way when no one else could believe in the possibilities.

I just discovered another one, Reinhold Messner, truly the world's greatest mountain climber and is probably the guy they used as a model for the "Most Interesting Man in the World" for those Dos Equis beer commercials, only this guy is the real thing. This Badass of the Week article is a blast to read!

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Ah, models of courage. Maybe that's what I need more of. We all have different mountains to climb. That which is bold and seems daunting to most, we may find easy. But then we struggle climbing this little mole hill...

3. nwor55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    greatwhale, thanks for the article link, what a great read, it makes this journey of coming out and being authentic seem like not such a big deal. That said, I'm not trivializing the journey, it is different for each person and we must each take our own path. The article makes you feel like you want to do something bold, be the "Badass of the Week", be "yourself" and to hell with what others think.

Once again thanks for the link and Happy Holidays.