1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tough times for many of us!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Penpal, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Penpal

Just wanted to say I hope you have had a good day even if you don't celebrate Christmas. I know I have found it hard and I know others on here are struggling too. This is such a good place to come to on days like this. Sad we feel we need to but such a help. On the plus side I am making friends all around the world and I plan to visit you all at some point ;-)

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

thank you!!! and yes, your words really strike home for me. but how will you visit us if we're not allowed to share identifying information on EC?

3. Penpal

Ha! My little joke. But you can once you are a full member because you can PM people once you get to know them. :slight_smile:

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't 'celebrate' and this year decided to be on my own. It is quite special in a way.. when London shuts down there is a unique sort of silence. everyone has gone.. there is no traffic.. no planes in the sky even. This year the TV seems to have been particularly bad but I really don't care coz I'm just chilling.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It can be wonderful to have a few days to relax and recharge batteries...
    cooking and baking a bit, pampering oneself, reading... doing a few favourite things...

Getting away from all the expectations and hectic, it can be real fun...

There are probably quite a few people on EC the next days :slight_smile:

:kiss:(*hug*)

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that's good to know! :lol: well, once I get full memebership, there will be a coffee waiting for you in Fort Worth, Texas! :welcome:

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

What is gay capital of TX?

Tom

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, my guess is that would be Austin. On one survey, it was rated the 7th gayest city in America. And in another, it was rated the gayest state capital. I've never been there, but here is what one survey says: "7. Austin, Tx – “Keep Austin Weird” is the city slogan and Austin has a wide variety of gay clubs, organizations, and festivals including The Gay and Lesbian International Film Festival and The Texas Gay Rodeo Association." But Texas is so huge, Austin ain't anywhere near me. In my own area, Dallas has a nice "gayborhood," Oak Lawn, and if my wife and I were to break up, I would probably look for an apartment there while I made the transition to establishing an independent life.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as gay tourism destinations it's definitely Austin, but there's lots gay to do in Dallas. Oh and the mayor of Houston is a lesbian--she's been elected three times.

10. IWICCO

Definitely Austin!

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Man...

I am so bored went work just to be with people...

That is nuts...

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I agree. Not that wanting to be with people is nuts. Just that I would rather be somewhere else with people. but when there isn't "someplace else," I guess it's not so nuts after all.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Today was a lonely day

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Funny, I felt that way too. Not sure why. Maybe it's the holiday thing.

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It was so loneky I went in to work 3 hrs earky just to be with people. :slight_smile:

16. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lonely day here, too, but I tried to be kind to myself and not dwell on the negatives too much. When the snowflakes started falling, I wrapped myself up on the sofa with some tea, a book, and some music -- just tried to "be" and to enjoy the quietude. Grateful for a warm home, a beautiful snowfall, and a chance to relax.

17. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Penpal, for starting this thread, and validating what many of us felt. I spent Christmas day completely alone, from beginning to end. I don't think I went out the door, nor saw another human being (except for the ones you can see on the net, of course). I was very relieved when Boxing day arrived!

18. IWICCO

I am so sorry that you all feel so alone. I have more family and friends than I care to deal with at times, but I know I need to feel grateful for them. Just curious, is your family not around because of you coming out? I mainly ask because I am literally out to only three people (my wife, BFF and fave cousin) who love me regardless. I know I have some family that will turn their backs on me if I come out.

I also ask because I hope this is not the case, but if it is I so admire you all for living your truth regardless of the circumstances. I really hope I am not making any of you feel badly about not having someone to share the holidays, birthdays and other special days with.

Know that you are loved!

19. Biotech49

I live in a multi-generational household so I saw family and more family and one neighbor. I actually cooked this year and so far nobody has died or gotten food poisoning. That's a positive! I missed my girlfriend but we texted all day. Had I not worked on Friday I would have gone over there (55 miles away) Thursday evening. Needless to say, I quite frequently head to my room to play video games just to get away from the crowd. The problem is, this year the Playstation Network was down. Still is. I read instead. I love alone time!