1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does financial differences mathers in relationships?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by globe, Dec 29, 2014.

1. globe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My boyfriend and I are in a different financial situation. We have been knowing each other for the last month, spend an weekend together for a short trip and the difference in which we could afford is apparent. Later we talk about our salaries and he his salary is 50% higher than mine. That made me depressed, thinking that after many time trying to find someone, and who I like very much, now we have this problem. The situation is worse because some years ago I was in a better financial position and his life remembers mine at the time. I took many time to accept my new condition. My boyfriend enjoys traveling and I am afraid I can't go with him on many trips. He already have some travel plans for the coming year which I couldn't go. This is so depressing. I am even considering finishing our relationship because of this.

2. bi2me

Would you allow him to help you afford the trips? I realize that dating is different, but I'm married, and I only work part time for our family business. This allows us to keep our kids out of day care and with me after school. My husband has a job outside of that. My work helps keep us able to afford the things we like to do, but it isn't really all that much money. If his money didn't pay for a lot of the things we do, we couldn't do them.

If he really cares about you and has the extra money, he probably wouldn't mind helping pay for part of the expenses. It sounds like you guys need to have a conversation to find out if he is bothered by it as well...

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe differences in financial resources can make a difference, if you choose not to talk about it.

As bi2me said above, it is imperative that you have this conversation soon. If it looks like a long-term relationship, remember that things have a nasty habit of changing, and his salary could disappear whereas your situation could improve. This is the real reason for the conversation, what your future plans are, and how you will manage the money question.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

definitely something that you two need to talk about. he may not even realize that it is causing stress in the relationship. there may be a way to make it work, and there may not. if you do nothing, the relationship will fall apart. if you talk, there may be some hope of a change.

5. titanV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not that I'm talking from experience here, but a month into a relationship is not that much at all. Maybe that's a good way to test if this guy is serious about you -- have a conversation with him as others have suggested, and see if he's willing to compromise his travel plans to take into consideration what you can afford.

I suspect he may not be willing to chip in big bucks for you since he knows you only for a month, but if he truly wants to travel with you, he should be able to adjust those trips to make them more affordable.