1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating apps and websites

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by offmychest, Dec 30, 2014.

1. offmychest

offmychest Guest

So what is the consensus here. Please do not name any sites or apps as this is not allowed. However i wanted to know if people have success in general on these? Mostly people say the same things....those are hookup sites. Then i hear:its only what you make of it. There are people that do want to hook up and many that dont. State what you want and filter the rest out. I feel weird about haaving my face on a sitr that may be known as being a sex site since thats not what i want. People i know use them for hookups too even ones that are supposed to be more reputable and i have seen the same people on multiple sites. So do u do better just going to meetups and events or all these gay sites actually good for dating. People make them seem like an online gay hookup club.

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

The largest factor is regionality.

Here in my part of heaven they appear useless, other areas it is raining good gay guys on these sites.

I have an EC friend who has great luck with an app (coached me on profile tips) in the UK but taking it to FL it goes DEAD.

I should move, but that is huge step.

Tom

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I have some experience with a couple different sites. I have been on one of the sites for about ten or twelve years, and have used it in different parts of the US and overseas. But it is primarily a hookup site, and a site for finding cruising locations. I have found a couple guys who would participate in a lengthy series of emails, but ultimately just wanted a quick hook up. it is good for finding out about different bars and that kind of venue, but is mostly oriented to hookups. maybe only oriented to hookups. I figure that if there is no face pic, there is no interest in anything but a hookup. so someone on that site told me about a different site that was more oriented toward gay dating. so I signed up for it, but found it was pretty much the same thing, just less technologically developed and with a much smaller membership base. what I have not tried are the dating sites that are both gay and straight dating, but I have kind of given up on on-line as a place to meet my soul mate LOL. I think that I just have to get out there and get involved with LGBT groups, meetups, churches, outreach, whatever, and start meeting gay people in normal situations if I am to have any hope of even developing some friendships.

4. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the Midwest here, I've only really had the guts to sign up for one or two. The one I got the most responses on is the one you hear about the most.

I made it very clear in my profile that I was just looking for platonic friendship. It was a mixed bag. I had a lot of men message me feigning interest in friendship, but it quickly became apparent that they were going to push me for a hookup. I ended up having good conversations about normal stuff with about 5 or 6 different guys on there though. I ended up meeting three in person. Then I got really sick for awhile and just was not in any mood to go out. Only one was really interested in more low key hanging out while I was sick. He was sort of a lifeline that kept me from becoming completely depressed during that two month illness. We ended up growing closer and now we are sort of figuring out where exactly we are heading. The aftermath of my illness is complicating us figuring it out, but we are making progress. I like him a lot.

That said I ended up deleting the app after I met those first three guys. Talking to the five or six guys was nice, but dealing with the others got to be overwhelming. I am focusing on making LGBT friends in real world situations going forward.

5. offmychest

offmychest Guest

Thanks everyone and i hope u feel bettersimpleman. I think i will take your advice and stay offline im not i to hookups or sifting thru hookup oriented people. I may step out on faith in 2015 and check out a few local gay christian meetup groups or a lgbt/bi hiking group. I figure maybe those may yeld connections that are less about sex. Someone once told me that if i didnt want to give it up that i should forget dating guys and just date women because if i didnt want to have sex relatively quickly no guy that was remotely attractive would be interested in me. Hmmm. That was a bit discouraging but i just have to believe that if i ecist there are others that also would be patient and maybe desperately wishing tjey could find someone else that doesnt consider them only worrhy of a good shag.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

there are lots of guys who are looking for the same thing you are, a meaningful relationship. empty hookups get old. it sounds like you have a good plan. good luck!

7. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First of all I need to say visiting lgbt chatting or dating websites is not easy for my either they are blocked by my ISP or my phone not supporting the chat room plugin. But when I managed to use VPN to subscribe in those sites I was disappointed. The couple of sites I tried I read they are good ones but after registering for free you can do nothing unless you became a vip member which require monthly payments:tantrum: and with the little things we have as new member I managed to communicate with some of the ladies, but they only wanted cam-sexing and this kind of stuff in-spite I mentioned in my profile I want friendship and I'm a married woman.
    But the bigger problem is when I go for chatting with ladies in lesbian chat rooms and end up with men :bang: :bang: :bang:
    Generally speaking I hated my experience with those sites and in my last search I found this site, First of all I can open it without ISP blocking it (!)(!)(!)
    and the people here are respectful and kind, I can't wait until I become a member.
    (&&&)

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Oh right, I forgot about that. there are probably more men posing as women on those sites than there are actual women. but they usually give themselves away because they say they're women, but they act like men in the way they go right into the sex chat mode, and in ways that sometimes reflect a man's understanding of anatomy, if that makes any sense at all.

9. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this site rocks. I think I spend toooooo much time on here. I have three different computers going on my desk at work, and I have come to realize that one is almost always camping on this site.:eusa_doh:

I also can't wait to get to be a member. The fact that I have to go through a process to get to be a member makes me respect this site even more.

THANKS EC:thumbsup:

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must admit that I have had success in the UK both making friends and relationships that have been more than just about hook ups. In London in particular, there is a very large segment that certainly use them for hook ups, no question about that. But there are also those users whom are more interested in making friends and meeting people. By being up front about what your looking for, I have been successful in navigating them.

While traveling, and maybe this is because I am in a holiday location with a large gay segment of visitors and residence, it's all been about hookups. My partner and I have had a few good laughs about it. That does not discourage me, however, as I recongize it for what it is.

I like to be social, and find them useful in this regard.

11. forestguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's been my impression that more people are using online dating, in both straight and LGBT communities. I missed the boat on dating in highschool, college, and grad school. The handful of friends I have who are married/engaged and virtually everyone I know older than me found their partner in school. The rest of us all have at least tried the online thing. As a person now out of school, I really don't know how people meet each other at this point in life. What other options do we really have? It's even more bleak living in a rural area.