1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eeeek!!! Homophobic Wife!!!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Wildside, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Wildside

Wildside Guest

What probably makes coming out so much harder for me is that my wife is SOOOOOOO homophobic. She is from a country in South America where everyone is racist and homophobic. She thinks that she is so far above all that. But, for example, she was talking about how racist everyone is in some small town in Kentucky, and how they make fun of the black basketball players. She said how much better it is in her country, because FIFA started imposing fines when that happens at their soccer games. And then she immediately starts launching into how "maricueco" [a derogatory term for gays] this priest we know is. I frankly don't even know if he is gay. I immediately stopped her and told her how homophobic she is, and how homophobic it is to say that. I almost pulled up my sleeve to show her my rainbow watchband [which she had previously asked me if I bought because it's gay, or if it's a Mother Teresa thing]. I hate being in the same house with her. I could just drop the bomb, but it just makes it all so much harder. I read posts from guys who have great communication with their wives, who have these deep meaningful talks when they come out to their wives. She already treats me with contempt. The other day she made some biting comment to me, and as I went around a corner I glanced back and saw a facial expression of pure contempt. I am just so alone and overwhelmed. I really don't think that there is anything anyone can say to help me change this, but I am so lost that I just had to do the only thing I know, which is type something out on EC. :help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

2. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in a relationship like that once, ONCE. You need to confront her about her contempt for you. This has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Remember, being gay is only a part of who you are ( a great life coach once told me that.) It may consume a great deal of your time, but it is still only a part of you. You need to deal with the part of you that is married to this woman. DO NOT let your sexual orientation get mixed into the huge rift between you.

Make her own up to her anger. The woman I was with and I went to counseling together and that is basically what he told her she had to do.

We need to chat more about this. I am actually fired up, remembering the crap I went through until I finally broke.

3. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same thing is happening with me Wildside, my wife and I are originally from the middle east and not one day passes without her showing her homophobic character. I cannot say anything though since it is a taboo talking freely about this issue in our family, although we lived in North America for close to 20 years now. I'm afraid that if I stand against her she'd figure out that I'm gay.

I started seeing a therapist on my own a couple of weeks ago, and started to talk to him about how my wife treats me, he told me that what I'm describing is nothing but an abusive relationship, and I'm being the victim without realizing it. My fear to break the marriage, my weakness towards her in fear of. Revealing my homosexuality kept me blind all of those years.

I'm not sure if you're facing the same nonsense or not but it is better to keep your eyes open on her ways to manipulate you.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

yeah, very much the same situation. I learned about emotional abuse on the internet a couple months ago, and the description fit our situation perfectly. Her mother was like that with her father, and I am sure she drove him to an early grave. He got cancer and didn't do anything about it, or tell anyone until is was too far advanced. I really think that he believed that it was his only way out. her sister is in her 50s and never married, and is a real piece of work. one of her cousins comment that the women in that family are all very 'strong," which is just a polite word for it. so sometimes I feel the hell with it, I will keep coming out to anybody and everybody I can, except her. And we don't even sleep in the same room anymore (my choice), so it's more like having a difficult sister than a wife, which is fine with me because I'm gay (and she has always been pretty asexual anyway, so she hasn't missed sex at all)

5. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my God, you're describing my life here. Wife like her mother and sisters all treating their husbands in disrepectful ways, some have problems and other men accept them.

Some times this will let me think whether it becomes very pronounced with us, because, we are trying to make it work more from the sexual orientation perspective, and then the abuse part makes it worse. I remember that I accepted a lot of harassment from my wife just to keep the marriage, or in other words keep myself away from my gay life.

It is sad that beside our struggle with ourselves something like that adds to the problem, but may be it would be a good excuse for separation? How would I feel if my wife is loveable and nice instead? The guilt would be doubled.

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't really offer you any advice or help, but I just wanted to add my support (*hug*) I wish you the best.

7. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hear you brother, getting divorce isn't difficult in our society like before twenty years back, the girls in our country plan their divorce before wedding. But for me my husband is an angle and I have with him my wonderful children. So I don't have any excuse.

I think when you have a wife like yours she need you to put her in her place, just think if you are not gay and hiding from her what will your reaction will be?

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never been in anything like the situation you describe so I may be way off base. But I have to say I would at least try to look at it as a blessing. The fact of the matter is that as you come to terms with things and decide to live your life more honestly you are going to turn your wife's world upside down. Do you honestly think that would be easier for you if she was a loving, caring and respectful partner? Move on--to be honest I think that would be my advice even if you were straight--just move on.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I appreciate all the caring comments and support!!! You all are so wonderful. It's not in my nature to put people in their place, and I doubt that's going to change. Twice during the marriage it was very close to ending. The first time, I got as far as filing for divorce. When the sheriff knocked on the door and handed her the divorce summons, she knew it was almost over. that was 27 years ago. The second time was just five years ago. Each time it gets in extremis like that, she does everything she can to convince me that she will change, and I starting feeling bad for her all crushed and weeping. But then once things were reconciled each time, it just got worse because then she had all this resentment about it. I think that OGS makes a good point though. If I were married to an angel who loved me with all her heart and sacrificed everything for me, I would really be wracked with guilt, instead of just being unhappy and wanting to get out. and in both scenarios, I'm gay, so the need to get out is the same.
    and thanks for the hug, Batman! (*hug*)

10. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What OGS says! I can't tell you how many times in my coming out process I wished my wife and I were on bad terms, when in fact we are what everyone thinks of as "the perfect couple" (in all but one very important, and ultimately unreconcilable, respect). We are each other's closest companion, soulmate, partner and peer, but in the end, that wasn't enough. What I thought was love was but a pale imitation of the real thing. I still love her, but only in that "qualified" way — the other day we joked that the Greeks must have a specific word for it.

The good news is that we seem to be working toward a mutually satisfactory resolution to our situation, and I have no doubt that we will eventually part the best of friends and maintain that relationship for the rest of our lives. But I still can't help but think that it would have been so much easier had I been able to just to walk away. If I were in the OP's shoes, I wouldn't hesitate.

11. soulcatcher

Love the irony. Homophobia combined with unawareness of your sexual orientation is just...

At one hand, it would be funny to see her reaction: However, overall it may be a bit too cruel to come out to her for that sole reason.

You have a difficult decision to make.

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think the Greek word to describe that would be Philos :icon_wink
    thanks for the insights, and support!

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2015 at 09:13 PM ----------

you would think that the rainbow watchband, the rainbow shoelaces, the Hello Kitty pink wallet, the pink underwear and pink shirt, pink gloves and the rainbow key fob might give her a clue, wouldn't you?

13. OOC73

You are clearly being far too subtle about the whole thing. Can I recommend ordering yourself a teeshirt with "Guess Who Has Two Thumbs And Is Gay?" printed on it, putting it on, then wandering around the house doing Fonzie impressions? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#13 OOC73, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your marriage sounds like mine as well. nothing to do with sexual orientation however. more to do with the manipulations and mental health issues that she brought to the marriage and to the parenting of my child. i don't count her in that regard anymore either. my son has thanked me several times for getting him out of that situation. now he only has to deal with her on the phone and once a month face to face. if your like me, you will feel such a sense of relief when you are out of that pressure cooker.

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

interesting that protecting your son got you out, and protecting my son kept me in. I was the one who protected and nurtured, and I was really afraid that he would really suffer without me. I even had come close to just taking a job in another town, and she said how much he would suffer not having me around (not as a threat, but as a fact because he was so attached to me). well, he just graduated from college a few weeks ago and starts his job in a far away city on Monday. So there are SO many transitions and stress points all coming together at the same time. I wish a meteor would just fall on my house and make it all go away!

16. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Could you send the same meteor over once done at your place please! What kept me with my wife is nothing but the kids. Now at 21 and 15, she dropped the bomb of separation in front of both of them, and I know very well that she knows what she's doing, she is manipulating my emotions using the kids to get what she wants, she knows very well that I couldn't handle their feeling when receiving such news. I'm seeing my therapist on tuesday, I believe that if she doesn't initiate separation then I will. I cannot handle it any more. Pray for me, I'm praying for you.

17. Wildside

Wildside Guest

thank you. I'm praying for you bearheart. you are further along than I am, so I don't think you need a meteor. you've got it out on the table, so now you just need to get an attorney. I would get the legal advisor before dropping that bomb. and you are seeing a therapist, you are in such a good place. good luck.

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, i would say that you have done your duty to your son as you have seen fit. now what compassion will Wildside show to Wildside? you deserve to be happy too sweetie(*hug*)

19. Wildside

Wildside Guest

thank you! that is a perspective that I really needed to hear. Maybe it has to do with living my life in the closet and always focusing on what other people are thinking and trying to get them to like me; but the fact is, I've always felt like once I had everyone else taken care of, that I didn't need to worry about taking care of myself. but you are right, I've got to look at myself and think what I would be doing for me, if I were my own son.

20. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    there you go, look after yourself the same way you've looked after everyone else.:thumbsup: