1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many dates before sex?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by offmychest, Dec 31, 2014.

1. offmychest

offmychest Guest

So i went on a few dates wirh someone and i told them i was into waiting for sex and didnt want a hookup. They said they also felt the same way and preferred to wait at least 5 dates before having sex. I was shocked because to me thats really fast. I also have been told i am old fashiined. Whats the general time people in their 30s are waiting to have sex. I know there is no magic number but what is typical. Would three months b too much to ask?

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

In Boston, MA area... No sex first date there is no second date. Doesn't matter what they say in pre chats.

Tom

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I imagine that limits opportunities a great deal.

@OP It just depends. Ideally, every person I started a relationship with would drive me crazy enough to jump their bones on the first date, but it doesn't always work that way. I think when you get into the months or years territory, I start to lose interest, but for others, it's the only way.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would second this view as well, to the extent it is a "date", and not just someone your looking to be friends with only.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Even three months would be too soon for me, so don't feel old fashioned. Everyone has their own timeframe on these things.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guess I should move away from Boston. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Since I've waited this long I'll wait until I can do it with someone special that I truly care about. Sex is a very intimate, personal thing to me and I'm not interested in doing that with someone I barely know.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any kind of set rule for it. My bf (he's 31) and I slept together after doing some stuff on our third date, but didn't go all the way until our fifth.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always fancied myself a third date kind of guy--if I was going for some sort of future. If I wasn't shooting for some sort of future well we got down to business when it seemed right which was often almost immediately.:lol: Ironically I found over time that the people I formed the most lasting and intimate relationships with turned out to be the latter guys--I think maybe because I didn't subject our relationships to all that rules stuff and just encountered them as real people (rather than potential whatevers) and was genuine with them. For the record my partner and I slept together the night we met--and for seventeen years since.:icon_wink

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I have to say, offmychest, that I really admire your approach. for me the question would probably be "how much sex before going on a date." but that is also part of my pathology of being in the closet. if I were living as an out man, I think I would have a very different approach. Just one more reason that it is better for your health to be out.

11. BelleFromHell

For me:
    [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik[/YOUTUBE]
    I kid, I kid... But I would have to know her extremely well and be insanely in love with her before things got dirty. So... a more realistic number would be 6 months, maybe a year or two.

12. JessicaWolfess

Should be up to you and the person you are dating when you have sex, instead of some stupid rule that came out of no where. I've dated people where we slept before or after the first date, and I've also been with people that I haven't slept with for MONTHS after dating

13. RainDreamer

As many as needed to make both of you feels comfortable.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's the case a lot of places in the U.S. and Canada, actually, and all around the world.

I'm not going to be puritanical here and whitewash the answer. My answer is from zero (first meeting) to infinity (never).

I played that gentleman game earlier in my life to no avail. Then I changed to my tune to "strike while the iron is hot." No regrets. And I have a religious upbringing, too.

What's really interesting is when a reasonably clean cut guy hits on another reasonably clean cut guy. It's sort of like how it is with your parents. You can't picture them having sex, as in "Ewww." People sometimes can't picture clean cut guys having sex as readily as they do rogues.

15. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personality, One is enough.

I always hate people who put a timeframe on it. Why? This person bluntly said that they like to wait 5 dates. You would be amazed how many (inappropriate word) there are out in the world who would make this a goal. They do the 5 get what they want and never show up for date 6.

I'd be honest with them that 5 dates sounds a bit fast for you, I would also say something like "I can't put a specific time frame on it, but I'll know when it feels right to me.

16. soulcatcher

Whenever you feel ready.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No experience. But from what I hear it can be anything there is no first date, just sex at one extreme to never at the other (2 asexuals dating, perhaps).

No dates to date here, but I think I'd avoid number of dates, and just go with when the time feels right. And besides, with numbers, you could get into messy questions of what is date and how do you count up to the magic 3, 5, or 2 billion? Are all dates equal? Or do some dates count for less? And what about accidental meetings where one might stand around chatting 10 minutes, say, at the grocery store? Much better, I think, to just forget numbers, and go with when the moment is right.

18. offmychest

offmychest Guest

Well i have ocd about stds. Sex is scary to me. I wanna put it off. I cant handle the after effects of the worry and testing. Plus id like to get tested with my future lover or trade recent tests. When people wanna screw after one to three dates i feels as though this is a normal practice for them and they have had a lot of partners and could be at higher risk for stds. Domt get me wrong...id like to do the mattress mambo but id feel more safe and secure trying stuff out with someone that made me wait for it and wasnt defensive or dismissive about testing.

#18 offmychest, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  19. AKTodd

I never dated anyone before having sex with them. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say that sex happened on the first date? Really, the question just never came up. I think the feeling was more that sex is fun and we should also find out if we're sexually compatible up front and get that out of the way. For the record, at least one guy I was with turned out to not be sexually compatible, but we went on to be very good and close friends for a number of years, even though we never had sex again.

Ultimately, you need to do what you feel most comfortable with, but I'm going to go along with the others who are saying to go with when it feels right rather than some hard rule about time or number of dates or the like.

Todd

20. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there is a rule on how many dates you have to have had before you and the other guy find yourself under the sheets.

That said, for some being intimate is something that it is quite personal and they need to have developed a fair amount of trust in the other person before they are willing to go all the way.

... and what you have mentioned here, is all that matters. In the end, it really comes down to as to what you feel comfortable with. :slight_smile: