1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don´t know how open I want to be about being bi...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Missy, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi!
    As the years go by I think it´s getting more and more hard to tell people about my orientation. I don´t want to be seen as someone who hasn´t the gut to stand up for herself or showing who she really is!
    I don´t want to get the reaction, wow she is already in her mid 30´s, and NOW she says that she is bisexual? I am afraid to meet judging ppl! I have good friends that accepts me for who I am, but there are always ppl around you that aren´t so nice. :dry:
    Anyone who understands this feeling that I have?

2. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I do...even others in the lgbt community can be harsh..people are mean

3. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, it feels good to know! I totally agree that ppl can be mean! It´s very important to let the good ones in and the bad ones out!

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is how I'm feeling about being lesbian I'm not sure if I want to let people know I want to be out but , since my coming out I've gotten nasty comments and harassment and a lot more worse stuff .
    People can be very ignorant when it comes to others sexual orientation specially if it's not straight .
    It's hard to be brave about this but I hope maybe you and I can in the future .
    One thing I could suggest is maybe you could find a bisexual support group in your town maybe their will be members that can tell you how to deal with this .
    I go to an lgbt coming out group well it's for everyone doesn't matter the sexual orientation as long as it's not straight and the members tell their stories and give advice .
    Maybe you can find something like that . Coming out is a hard thing to do and being out and open about ourselves is too and sometimes the advice of others or meeting others in the same situation or like ourselves can help .

Hope this helps good luck and 30 is not too old we have man in our group that's gay and 60 years old who is scared to death about coming out .

5. TrueNorth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand where you are...Im 38 and a single mom. My parents know I dated a girl in high school, but I have been private since and I think they thought it was a phase. I'm absolutely terrified about coming out to them and my children. I've already gotten some backlash from a friend that made me very sad. I guess it will come in time.

6. Happenstance

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been afraid of backlash too. Even just misunderstanding comments can be so hurtful.
    The nice thing about coming out at an older age is that people are less likely to dismiss it as a "phase". At least that's what I've been telling myself!

7. tssoe02

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    I just posted a thread bisexuality 101 and I'm sure it'll be up later today - moderator needs to approve. I have not been able to find a support group in my area, so I'm hoping to that we can build a sub-community of middle aged bisexuals here to learn from. Myself, I'm 44 and only discovered this side of me in the last 5 years or so.

I know exactly how you feel about exposing this side of your life. There is a part of you that wan't to express your true self and there is the other side that feels the need to protect not only yourself, but loved ones as well. I often think about my kids and what they will experience if I come out. So for now I pick and chose.

I've also noticed that the few gay friends I have are very critical of bisexuals and one would think that these friends would be easier to talk with about sexuality but as an earlier poster stated, they aren't always supportive either. The other group of friends/family that I stay clear of are my religious fanatics, obvious reasons here. I don't need anyone preaching to me about immorality. So far the people that I have told about my bisexuality have been supportive and understanding, but this is only a few people. I'm not sure how open I actually want to be.

E

8. sighnomore

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am in the same boat. The way I feel about it is that I don't owe anyone an explanation. Right now I am going to focus on accepting myself without requiring other people's acceptance as a prerequisite. Then once I find someone I am dating, if it becomes serious, I will decide how to proceed and who needs to know about it. Right now I am single, and while I would love to be able to commiserate and socialize in 'real life' with other lgbt people, the experiences I have had in the past with that have been overwhelmingly negative and drove me deeper back into the closet. So for now I have just accepted I may not get any support and I may not get any acceptance from anyone else. But I will accept myself.

You are not alone :slight_smile: