1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Promiscuity?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nickinthemiddle, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Nickinthemiddle

Hey yall I have an embarrassing question...

So I'm going through my history, like my therapist asked me to do, which I have avoided at ALL COSTS all these years, and I have found...

1. I have been very promiscuous with the opposite sex, finding the most effeminate/soft/gentle men I could find, having one night stands, in the attempt to 'feel' what I was supposed to be 'feeling'

2. During times in the military when I had no feelings for anybody, I would date someone of the opposite sex who would accept me not having sex with them, that way I could turn down the opposite sex 'because I had a boyfriend'

3. I married the opposite sex three times. Each time I had my heart brutally broken/rejected by the SAME sex quite literally weeks beforehand and just shotgun married these guys, then had sexless marriages.

I am appalled at how very promiscuous I was with the opposite sex. While writing down all the reasons why I slept with all these guys, the reason kept being, to see if I could feel something.

Out of the grand total of liasons, which I am too embarrassed to admit to you, I noted that there were 7 instances in 14 years of actually having some sort of emotional feelings towards the opposite sex, and in all 7 instances, I dumped or broke up with ALL of them.

I had five instances of falling head over heels in love, love, love, LOVE with the same sex, all ending with no relationship, or their rejection or having used me to get into a three way/started something sexual with me to attract the attention of the guy they wanted.

And I should add, I do have a sex drive, but I have always been trying to find the feelings I thought I should have been feeling, to no effect.

SOoooooo.... have yall anything you can weigh in on this? Have you experience/reflection on how somebody who is questioning later in life that they are actually gay, could have had such a promiscuous past with the opposite sex?

Feeling really bad :frowning2:

Please be nice to me if you reply :frowning2:

Thanks in advance...

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You know the difference between a few animal species and men/women ?

If they try something and it does not work out, they immediately try out something different.

People instead tend to keep repeating what they somehow found worked at least once for them.

So you are not alone. Its a common pattern.
    (*hug*)

I would advise you to think it really over if you come up with a solution of the past.

It can be wonderfully relieving and freeing trying out something new.

You might just relax and meditate on what you like... kind of like daydreaming, not too much, just enough to let you get a feeling for what you'd like... maybe making notes...

and then looking for how to fulfill that...

and if resistance comes up, you might try to find a way around it... just like trying something new...

(*hug*)

3. RainbowBright

I don't think there's any reason to be ashamed at all! You didn't do it to hurt anyone - you did it actually because you were trying to do the "right" thing. Now you know better, so you can do better for yourself. Clearly, this pattern didn't work for you.

It's really common among lesbians to be promiscuous with guys, for a lot of the reasons you mention. It can take a long while to figure yourself out, and to find self-acceptance.

I don't see why people get so caught up on numbers, anyway. The important thing is how you treat people, and what your intentions are. And that if you're lucky, there were no huge consequences like STDs or unwanted babies, etc. To me, it doesn't matter if someone slept with 2,000 people if they did not hurt themselves or anyone else in the process.

OK, so now looking back it seems like you made some mistakes on your journey, like you did stuff that didn't really help you. The best thing in the world about looking back on your history, when you don't want to at all, is it is the best way to learn from your past and make your future way better. So now looking at it, you have a chance to move forward and change your patterns to something that makes you feel happier and healthier, and lets you meet more people who can be a positive influence in your life and on the person you want to be.

I don't think the point of looking back on one's past is to torture yourself, and then die of shame. I think it's to give you a completely clean slate to try something new in the future. Life is not a mistake-free journey. We all take a few wrong turns here and there. You'll probably make more mistakes in the future. But if you try something different, at least they won't be the same ones! And sooner or later, you'll find what works for you, and you'll probably attract a lot of admirers for your bravery in facing yourself, and the work you've done to head in a more positive direction for you.

A note - since before you were either closeted, or perhaps gave off a vibe of being somewhat self-hating, you may have attracted women who were the rejecting type. They fed off your self-rejection and jumped on it, or maybe were caught up in denying their own sexuality so couldn't make the leap for you. That does not mean that all women will be that way. I think you'll find that if you take a much more positive, confident, and accepting view of yourself, and spend less time with crowds of straight men in favor of hanging with more gay women, you'll probably give off a good vibe and through sheer numbers of women you meet, you're much more likely to find a woman who respects herself the way she is too, and who can like you for who you are. You don't need someone to fall in love with you to rescue you. But if you give off the vibe that you're confident and can take care of yourself, a lot of great women will want to be around you. Maybe you need to spend a little time just being single so you can gain confidence that you are really ok by yourself, that you don't need anyone else to validate you or take care of you, or even to help you fend off unwanted advances.

[Besides, if you want to say you're married to fend off aggressive guys (although saying no should be plenty enough reason for them to leave you alone), you can just wear a fake wedding band, you don't have to actually marry someone! I've done that when I was traveling abroad in sexist countries, and it worked pretty well. An $8 ring at Claire's did the trick. :slight_smile: ]

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

you're so nice, how could anyone not be nice to you in their reply? (*hug*) Besides, this is EC and we're supposed to be nice here. We're all pretty much in the same boat.
    I think that the greatest thing is that you were able to make such an honest list of your history. I've been journalling on and off for the past 20 years, and just recently wrote an honest journal for the first time. In the past, I never once wrote that I am gay in a journal, and only made occasional vague references to "my problem." This latest journal started off with the sentence "I am gay." And then I filled the pages with truth. And the preachers are right about one thing, the truth will set us free!
    As far as promiscuity, yeah, that has been a big part of my life. For me, it has mostly been promiscuity with my own sex, and I think that at least a part of it is because I'm in the closet. When I can't have the relationships that you are supposed to have, then I have sex with whomever I can. Would that be different if I were out? I don't know, but I think so. Only one way to know for sure.
    Now, with the opposite sex, I guess there is some similarity. I was never interested in women enough to pursue them in high school or college. Then I went in the Navy, far from home and restrictions, going to places where there was lots of sex for sale, and so that was my first sexual contact with the opposite sex, with a number of women in that trade, for a pretty limited period of time. Then I married someone whom I barely knew, there was no sex before marriage and not much after. Of course, it doesn't take much to get pregnant, and so that happened three times.
    But a real part of your question is the emotional connection. With women, whether is was with those hookers almost four decades ago or with my wife, I never felt what everyone says you're supposed to feel. I always thought that people were just buying into the Hallmark ads, and that nobody really felt that way. When it comes to feelings, we have no measuring stick to go by other than what we ourselves have felt in our hearts. I have felt some emotions toward some men, but usually push them away because I am too afraid of where that would take me. who knows, it might take me out of the closet.
    One more thing on the topic of promiscuity. I think that some people have a high sex drive, and some have low, and some not at all. Those with low/none can feel good about themselves and be judgmental of those "sluts" who actually have a sex drive. But for those of us who have a high sex drive, and who are promiscuous, I honestly believe that our need for sex is partly how we process emotional attachment. We need to have that closeness. It's just how we are. We waste too much energy feeling guilty about it. Like our sexual orientation, it's something we can't change about ourselves.
    I don't know if you can relate to ANY of this, but it's just my experience and where I'm at. The most important thing that I want to say is that you should be really proud of how honest you are being with your therapist. Our thoughts are with you! (&&&)

5. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a slightly different take on this: I thought that women were capable, indeed needful, of feeling great emotional attachment, but that men were not. Then I fell in love with a man.

Joel Kort, the psychologist who is frequently cited on this board, estimates that 93% of men who come out to their wives do so after forming an emotional attachment to another man.

6. Nickinthemiddle

Jay777-

I have journaled my very traumatic introduction into the world of hetero sex, and you are right, the more I reflect, I can see the pattern of the choices I made. It's too painful for me right now to lay it out, but it's there. Thank you.

RainbowBright (love the name btw) -

Thank you for all the well thought out points you made. I was wondering if maybe my identification leaning towards lesbian was either confirmed (I kept looking for IT and never found it with men) or denied (damn I slept with a lot of them, why did I keep doing it). Thank you for giving me some insight that it is one of the ways that some do deal with things.

Also - I was all that time in the military, and a mechanic no less... There was maybe one women in a hundred men (for real). In my time, DADT was alive, and there were a few cases where butch lesbians who kept their relationships with civilian women on the down low and were kind of buddies with the guys could get away with it, but my situations were nothing like that. I hung out with all the military guys. I never hung out with LGBT culture. So you are right, I never was out, and never was secure, and never met a lady who was secure and looking for something out of a relationship or encounter with me. So, my experience was so painful with women, but I am also, as your post points out, not having had the experience of not being closeted, and hanging out/meeting confident and secure LGBT folks. Anyone I knew was either experimenting/closeted/both.

Thank you so much for your response :slight_smile:

Wildside -

Aw shucks you are nice too (*hug*) yall are seriously so nice and so non-judgemental. I could never believe I would tell anybody the things I am telling yall! I really connected with your story, the fact especially that you served under DADT as well. I relate to what you say as far as not connecting with the opposite sex. Being that I have had sexual trauma, I blamed it on that. I had guys tell me I was just impossible to please. Hetero sex is something that I learned, as in something that I actually learned. In all those experiences, I felt nothing. Just empty. So eventually I figured that I just wasn't a one night stand person. I tried relationships. The sex would immediately dwindle. (Hope this isn't too X rated) I eventually learned 2 ways that I could 'get off' in hetero sex, and both ways include specific manipulation of my body, and closing my eyes and imagining something else (either a woman, or pretending the man is not there and just focusing on the feelings).

I laugh with my mom, and say well, if you are married with a guy that doesn't beat you and is nice to you, you might as well stay because love is something that is manufactured by chick flicks and romantic comedies and Hallmark, the only love there really is, is just staying together because romantic love is just a manufactured idea that does not exist.
    Everything you said resounded so much with me. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. Thank you!

Weston - though it's the opposite gender of what you mention in your post, the times that I have been in love with a woman have not held a candle to anything I've ever felt for a man. With men, when I thought I loved them, the feelings would fizzle away, and while I feel sentimental about a few of them still, I don't still have feelings for them. With a woman, it's this feeling that I would just die for her, (hopefully not Bruno Mars creepy lol), kind of in the way like you know you would just jump in front of a car for your kid and not even think about it twice? The love I have felt for women has been so deep it was in my heart, my mind, my soul, my bones, and a decade and a half can't fade the emotions for a woman I have loved, where as I can barely recall why I married my first husband and what the sex with him even felt like. I remember, for a woman, everything. And no matter how bad she ever hurt me and how much I hated her, hated her for what she did, I can not make the love go away. Is that how it is supposed to feel? Or am I a creepy Bruno Mars? lol.

Thanks so much yall. Seriously. I don't know who else I could talk to about all this, I mean my therapist but I pay her for an hour every two weeks lol. (&&&) thank you from the bottom of my heart.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Actually, Roses, when I served was much worse than DADT. I entered under Jimmy Carter and left right before Bill Clinton. So I wished I had something as liberal as DADT. When I served it was more like "we don't need to ask and you don't need to tell, because we're gonna hunt all you f**s down, arrest you, turn you over for court martial, and give you and OTH discharge. I saw a lot of guys kicked out for exactly that reason. and NIS staked out all the gay hangouts. One officer got caught because he was in an ABS, and one of his uniform shirts fresh from the cleaners was hanging in his car. I asked the JAGs how they could assume that he was gay or was having sex in the ABS, and they said that being in there was proof enough. Then I went into the Department of State in 1992, which I thought would be safer. But at the time I entered, there were three CRIMINAL cases in progress against foreign service officers just because they were gay. So, believe it or not, when Clinton came out with DADT, that was seen as such a radical break with past policy, tremendously liberal. The State Department didn't change until Hillary was in charge. And then it was a radical change. Not only did they stop chasing us down, but lots of protections were instituted, fair treatment for partners came into effect, and LGBTs were actually celebrated. One officer said to me that it was like turning the lights on, because before it was like nobody was gay, and then overnight there were gay people all over the office. Which I think is also a reflection of the reality in society. If we ever get to that point where it is really not an issue any more, I think that our numbers will surprise even the most optimistic estimates. Fact is, we are not alone! Just give us a chance. (!)

8. Nickinthemiddle

Wildside, that is terrible! I watch RuPaul's drag race, and they had a version where gay vets came in to get dragged, and a vet in his 60's said they went to the gay bar, and one of his friends spent a year in prison! DADT was bad because it kept us in the closet, and if someone decided to get you for it, you'd get canned. But never jailed or prosecuted. Horrible!

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

terrible and terrifying. people can't imagine what the world was like before Stonewall, and it has been a slow, gradual process since then. but where we are now is SO much better than the world that I grew up in. Even back then we could see the irony of sending men to jail because they were gay, knowing what happened in jail. and in fact, it was a criminal offense for men to even wear anything considered to be "women's clothes," though there was no similar statutes against women (though my father wouldn't LET my mother wear slacks until she was in her 40's!)

10. Nickinthemiddle

I heard about that. Of course only 'heard' or 'read', because I am 31. I heard that you had to wear three articles of your own gender's clothes, or that some drag queens had to hand out cards that said 'I am a boy' so they could not be accused of impersonation and jailed... I have a lot of respect for the generations before. Things are changing so fast. For me in the 90's, I just remember there was no 'Gay Straight Alliance' in school, there was still the AIDS fear mongering, and I remember Mathew Shepard, left is right and right is wrong... A decade later and things are so different. I think it's so amazing that kids at 13 can get on this website to talk about their identity, and yet, still there's so far to go. A big nod of respect from me to you for having gone through those days... they are not that far behind us.